1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Quotes

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by BumbleBea, May 13, 2015.

1. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    An analysis of said monologue.

I like this part in particular;

"There were times my mother flat-out said ‘No, you cannot rent that movie again, especially since you were afraid that sharks would come through the shower-head the other night'."

*chuckles

I can relate. My parents never dictated what movies I could or couldn't watch as a child. Which, in hindsight, was a problem considering my older sister constantly left the R-rated horror movies she adopted from her boyfriends either in the VCR or on the living room table.

I would have been four or five when I first watched Jaws. I would have been four or five when I watched Joe Dante's Piranha, Richard Wenk's Vamp, Clive Barker's Hellraiser & Hellraiser III, & of course, Wes Craven's original Nightmare on Elm Street.

Seemingly to twist this knife, I learnt how to operate the VCR merely days after returning home from months in hospital. Over a period of weeks while absent from kindergarten, through the mist of a nebuliser I exposed myself to all manner of vampires, serial killers & demons. All the while fresh, autobiographical memories of palpitation, greyout, & ultimately respiratory arrest rattled my adolescent psyche.

I vividly remember myself as a child, the following summer, spending hours searching for sharks in my family's in-ground swimming pool, & monitoring the adjoining spa for piranhas. My reasoning at the time being; there's no way a large shark could fit in the spa. That's impossible. If there are sharks to be found, clearly they'll be in the pool. The smaller piranhas must congregate in the spa.

Need I mention the fortnight or so that I avoided all hallways, due to the way A Nightmare on Elm Street's 'no running in the hallway' scene scorched itself into my developing limbic system.

When my sister—who at the time was just like this gigantic cloud of bleached, totally backcombed hair, anchored to earth only by thin shreds of torn denim & the sheer weight of bangles—arrived home every Thursday or Friday night from what ever shady club accepted her fake ID, I wondered if she had inadvertently solved the Lament Configuration, or unknowingly spent the night galavanting around with vampires.

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Great stories Nathan, colorfully rendered.

3. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I enjoyed reading that, Nathan. You are a very entertaining writer.

4. Gracie

Gracie Active Member

May 13, 2014
    Let yourself be yourself

5. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I'd be in prison.

6. LOL

7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    "That wasn't an explosion. Just a rapid unscheduled disassembly."

~ Space X / Elon Musk ~

*chuckles

I love, love, love, Mr. Musk.

8. "If no one's bleeding or dead at the end of the day, you've done a great job!"
    ~The words of inspiration I used to receive from a former colleague

9. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.
    ~Neil Donald Walsch

10. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    “I will have the children read Hamlet as soon as it is practical. There are some useful cautions against eavesdropping to be gleaned from that.”

~Maryrose Wood

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Just keep stirring the pot. You never know what will come up.

--Lee Atwater

12. GOOD ONE

13. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    “Butterflies can't see their wings. They can't see how truly beautiful they are, but everyone else can. People are like that as well.”

― Naya Rivera

14. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016

15. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    We need a 12 step group for compulsive talkers. They could call it On Anon Anon.

~ Paula Poundstone

16. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    “Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.”

~John F. Kennedy

17. I love those who can smile in trouble, who can gather strength from distress, and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink, but they whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves their conduct, will pursue their principles unto death.
    ~Leonardo da Vinci

18. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    There is some controversy over who wrote this poem. I couldn’t find out for sure after some research but decided to post it any way as it pertains to this of us who are struggling to find our way with the day to day implications of having MM as well as other conditions.

After a while – Veronica A. Shoffstall

After a while you learn
    the subtle difference between
    holding a hand and chaining a soul
    and you learn
    that love doesn’t mean leaning
    and company doesn’t always mean security.
    And you begin to learn
    that kisses aren’t contracts
    and presents aren’t promises
    and you begin to accept your defeats
    with your head up and your eyes ahead
    with the grace of woman, not the grief of a child
    and you learn
    to build all your roads on today
    because tomorrow’s ground is
    too uncertain for plans
    and futures have a way of falling down
    in mid-flight.