1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Radical scavengers for Ménière's disease

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Mindosa, Sep 21, 2020.

1. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
  2. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Keep those crooked vultures away from my delicate ears & insides.

3. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    lost hope that something can help?

4. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    I'll take 'What is a radical & scavenging bird for 500', Alex.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    This has been said and is being said of every new thing that they believe may work for MM since the low salt diet and diuretics in the 30's or 40's. It's okay that proposals keep popping up, but as long as there aren't more in-depth studies it's better not be hopeful because to date what we have is that all the things that "could work against Meniere" ended up not showing their effectiveness.

Let's cross our fingers because they continue investigating and more data appears demonstrating its effectiveness.

6. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    Well, waiting until someone will post an in depth study that will claim 100% cure for Meniere's disease I think that's not gonna happen soon.

Everything goes to the point - how big is your market? When inner ear disease “market” is very small, compared to other diseases, and especially when now everyone's attention is focused on finding a cure for Covid and money flows to that direction, our chances are even smaller..

Another point, why this is not gonna happen soon, because for different people the cause of MD could be different, so naive would be to expect that one pill will fix different MD causes for different people.

Another point, there is no help from doctors finding the most important part - the cause of your symptoms. All they can do is to diagnose your disease, that's all.

So, to sum up, nothing can help you better than yourself. That's why we need to try everything we find in these researches until we find the cause and get relief.

Returning to study above, there is mentioned glutathione. Sound Pharmaceuticals in the study SPI-1005 explores Ebselen which acts as a glutathione peroxidase mimetic and is thereby able to prevent cellular damage induced by reactive oxygen species. Amino acid NAC is also a precursor of the antioxidant enzyme glutathione.

I am not a chemist, but I think these materials are somehow connected. So there is only one way to know whether they will help you - to try.

Besides glutathione you also can buy online like the NAC as a supplement, another thing to try.

7. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    from the study - "Material and methods: Rebamipide (300 mg/day), vitamin C (600 mg/day) and/or glutathione (300 mg/day) were given orally for at least 8 weeks to 25 patients with poorly controlled MD."

600 mg/day of Vitamin C is practically nothing, I take a few thousand every day, several thousand if it is a bad day. I don't know what Rebamipide is, is it a prescription drug?

8. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I’m not sure if I’m missing something, but this is from 2003. I know that it can take ~20 years for a treatment to hit the public, but wouldn’t there have been updates if this was still being worked on?

9. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    There is no treatment maybe because what works for one does not work for another, different people - different causes.

I don't believe that in the future there will be one pill that will fix all MD causes for everyone. For example - how could pill fix if your MD is TMJ related?

That's why we need to try everything we find in the researches until we figure out what works best for us.

10. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I agree. My point is that if this treatment helped anyone, there would have been some sort of update in the past seventeen years.

11. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    It helped for some, you can see from the results in that research. But as we know, every MD case is different and if you want to know for sure if it would help you, there is only the one way - to try.

12. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    The older I become, the more I feel like the neuroatypical individual sitting at the crowed neurotypical table. In this case specifically, perhaps I'm reading your comment too literally, if not;

How do you reconcile a) "It helped for some", which is to say it helped more than one, with b) "but as we know, every MD case is different"?

If every MD case were different, no one treatment would treat more than one person. Hence no one study would expose the symptomatic relief of more than one individual.

To put it another way, if every MD case were different there would be no logical reason to try any treatment that results in the symptomatic relief of any one case—which subsequently renders any appeal to any study as null & void, other than appeals to studies which demonstrate no systematic relief from any participant.

It is almost certainly the case that there are multiple causes of MD, however it is also most certainly not true that every MD case is different, & therefor there are as many causes, & as many treatments as there are people who suffer from it.

13. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa

14. Mindosa

Mindosa Member

Jun 8, 2020
    You are right

15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Cool. So you would agree with my fifth & final paragraph, my fifth & final paragraph being: