1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Rare plugged ears.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by IvanA, Jun 9, 2020.

1. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    My ears are plugged when I spend time studying or sitting at the computer, and they are almost perfect when sleeping and waking up in the morning. Of course when there are storms I get more blocked, but even these days when I wake up they are much better even if it is bad weather.

I know the advice is not to sit that long, but I would like to know if someone else will put their ears better when sleeping? Any more advice? Is this typical of meniere?

2. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Hey, IvanA.

Generally speaking, what of your posture while studying & sitting at your computer?

What type of chair do you sit on?

What time of day/night do you generally study & sit at your computer? And what of the light spectrum of your display?

Is your display set towards the cold & blue end of the colour spectrum, or towards the warmer end of the colour spectrum? Do you run a night shift application?

Are you light sensitive? Do you wear reading glasses? Do you find yourself squinting while reading?

Is your aural fullness less likely to increase while reading a book, as opposed to reading text on your computer?

Does your aural fullness increase after you wake up on days which you do not read, study, or sit at your computer?

Are the days which you spend studying or sitting at your computer divided by a thirty - sixty minute period of exercise? If so, does your aural fullness decrease for a short period of time either during or shortly after this period of exercise?

I've posed many questions, I know, however thinking about these question (if you haven't already, if you have I apologise) may allow you to narrow, or reduce the number of possible causes.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Hello,

Some things you ask I have not tried, but I will answer those I know.

I try to sit as straight as possible, I have even lifted the computer screen by placing a box under it so that it is more aligned with the view. I have an office chair, but I bought it in April after my vertigo attack to see if it improved, before I used a bad wooden chair in which I studied for 5 years; but back then I had no problems with my hearing so I don't know if it was the cause or not.

Every day from 4pm I study and play alternately, when I study I have my neck bent towards the paper book while I mark the most important thing with markers. When I play is when I use the screen. In general, when I notice my ears, tinnitus and even small dizziness is when I study with my head down, while I play I don't notice anything bad in my head, sight or ears; a little discomfort in the back and neck yes. The screens, the colors, the brightness or anything like that don't bother me and I have my eyes well according to the ophthalmologist.

My computer screen is set up in a normal way with some cold. I do not use night screen applications, but as I say even when I was dizzy I could watch TV in bed without feeling worse, when I got dizzy and they took me to the emergency room on a sunny day and I was not bothered by the clarity despite coming out of the darkness of my room.

About this: Are you light sensitive? Do you wear reading glasses? Do you find yourself squinting while reading Not to the three questions. In general I do not notice that my fullness increases when reading on screen or paper but rather when I am at the computer for long periods of time playing and especially studying with my head down. Even the slight dizziness that I have lately are almost always when I lower my neck, for example when looking at the phone sitting in the kitchen. Right now I am writing and reading all this sitting at the computer looking straight ahead and I have not been dizzy or full but I do have pain in my back. Instead, as soon as I lie down, everything will begin to ease a little: back pain, tinnitus, fullness and it is very rare that I get dizzy. Although I do have to say that lately I have a kind of mental fog that seems that "I'm going to get dizzy, but not" as the day progresses and I start to feel sleepy and tired, if I stay up late the more tired I get (I also study at night).

About this: Does your aural fullness increase after you wake up on days which you do not read, study, or sit at your computer? It is something that I hope to verify this summer because on June 24 if I pass my exam I will have finished my degree and until October 1 I hope I will not have to study or read more for hours. It will be my first stress free vacation in 6 years. And yes, in 6 years I have done almost nothing else but study and be on the computer; Even on the days that I didn't study I would watch movies or read about my hobbies on the computer. But as I say in those 6 years I had no problems, well my hearing loss started 3 years ago, tinnitus 6 months ago, vertigo 4 months ago and fullness 2 months ago. It is possible that everything has been caused by so many years of stress, poor posture, etc. Now that I think about it, in the few breaks that my head gave me after the attack of vertigo and the following severe dizziness, I would come to the computer to read and write the final work of my degree; I wasn't there for so many hours then because I couldn't take it, but maybe it would come 15-30 minutes and when I got dizzy I would lie down and when it happened I would come back. I had no choice if I wanted to pass.

Are the days which you spend studying or sitting at your computer divided by a thirty - sixty minute period of exercise? If so, does your aural fullness decrease for a short period of time either during or shortly after this period of exercise? The truth is that I hardly take a break from moving. As I said before when I rest, I stay on the computer.

I try to walk for an hour at 8 or 9pm before dinner in good weather, but I don't do it as often as necessary. The days I did it I did not pay attention to my fullness, I will do it from now on.

On the other hand, every few hours of study or on the computer do I recommend moving 30-60 minutes? And when you say exercise, what type of exercise do you mean? The truth is that I would like to do normal exercise such as running, but I am afraid of being forced by vertigo, I have only walked fast.

And especially THANK YOU for answering.

4. Martina70

Martina70 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Cork Ireland
    Hi everyone,
    This is my first post on this site. I suffer badly with menieres for the last 9 months. My hearing is almost gone in my left ear & my doctor is preforming a labyrinthectomy on Wednesday next. I am just wondering does anyone hear know of anyone that had the treatment.

Best Rgd's Martina.

5. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Martina, having the labyrinthectomy two years ago was the beginning of reclaiming my life. After recovering from the surgery your brain needs to be retrained to compensate for the missing vestibular function. Try to walk outside every day if you can -- the open space and fixing on distant objects helps you make progress. Do vestibular exercises regularly when the doctor gives the go-ahead. Be gentle with yourself, as your brain will be working hard to learn its new reality, and that saps a lot of energy. Every week you will see incremental improvements, and being free of the fear of an attack brings your confidence back to pre-Meniere's days. Good luck!

6. Martina70

Martina70 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Cork Ireland
    Hi Clare
    Thanks so much . I’ve had bad symptoms now for almost a year and my hearing is virtually gone in my left ear . Decision was made yesterday to do this. I have dizziness and nauseous again for last hour . I hope this op changed things for me I’m so disillusioned at the moment. Your message has really helped thanks so so much !!!!

7. Martina70

Martina70 New Member

Jun 1, 2020
    Cork Ireland

8. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Sorry about your condition. Maybe it is a bit late because you have already scheduled the surgery, but just before that you want to try some of the things in the database: Database | Meniere's Talk forums

Most JOH and / or antiviral regimen works. I personally am doing JOH, Monolaurin, Strong B Vitamin Supplement and Physiotherapy-Osteopathy.

Specifically today I had my first interview with the osteopath and after doing some maneuvers he told me that I have a lot of tension in my entire skull and especially on the side of the sick ear. We are going to try in the sessions to release that tension that may be compressing the veins and by not draining the toxins well they can be the cause.

9. DeniseB

DeniseB New Member

Jun 11, 2020
    May I ask what is JOH?

10. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Denise if you click in the database link you can see the regimen JOH and other things.