1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Recommendation for antiviral DR in northeast

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Tomaso, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Why don't you order Valacyclovir from India and do the whole routine again? If it worked before, it will work again. Famciclovir works just as well IMO and is a bit cheaper. A Gent injection is a one way street.

2. Tomaso

Tomaso New Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I realize I typed a lot and was all over the place. I honestly wish i'd kept notes of everything that has happened to me from the start. I'm not gonna lie reading on here over the past couple days has caused tremendous anxiety.

I got the Acyclovir from India years ago and took it at the recommended doseage, but it didn't work at all from what I recall.

I actually got the Valacyclovir prescribed from a Neurologist that was open enough to briefly go over Gacek's paper. This happened on my first visit with him. I think i'm going to save money and try the Valtrex again. I have a high deductible health plan and I couldn't afford the bill for the name brand Valtrex the second time around.

My attacks are much less frequent now. I can occasionally tell when one is coming on because the ringing will increase in volume the day/night before. Thankfully i've woken up with it first thing in the morning mostly so it's only happened to me at work four or five times.

That's good to know that Famciclovir has worked well for you also and it's cheaper. My reasoning for not trying acyclovir was strictly because of my experience with the acyclovir I purchased from India.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  3. Aaron

Aaron New Member

Aug 9, 2019
    I wouldn’t spend the money on the name brand Valtrex. Instead get the Northstar generic, they carry it at Costco and you don’t need to be a member to use their pharmacy. I use GoodRx app (it’s cheaper than my CVS Caremark negotiated price).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tomaso

Tomaso New Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I'd have to drive 45mins to go to costco. My experience and that pilot with menieres has been that the name brand works better. I haven't spent as much time as I should have researching the subject, but if you look into it many people had similar negative reactions to certain generics and the general concensus was that some generics work better.

Personally with something this serious it's not worth the risk. There was no comparison in my experience between the two. I honestly can't remember if I took aurobindo the second try, but I believe that's what it was. They were blue. When I took the non generic I had relief of all symptoms. At that time things were getting significantly worse with attacks and it stopped them.
    The area where I live is very difficult for finding dr's, i'd have to travel. In all honesty it seems that very few know how to treat this disease anyway. I went to the local ENT Dr. Charnock for two years and he did nothing for me. At one time he was open to the idea of anti-virals, but the next visit acted like I was crazy and those words never came out of his mouth. He didn't even prescribe me anything to stop the attacks and I didn't know until I went to the hospital there was a miracle cocktail they can prescribe. I'll never forget the first time my vision returned to normal when they administered the ativan? IV. That was the most miraculous things i'd ever experienced in my life.

I can't help but think about what could have been had things been handled differently from the start. My first attack was probably four or five years ago when I was 32. Last time I spent time reading on here there is a Dr in Mass that seems to be a proponent for gent injections. I wonder if his logic of using such a severe treatment right away is the most logical so the disease doesn't have time to proliferate.

I haven't taken anti-virals for a third round yet, but I do have them if I start getting attacks again. I screwed up by not taking that maintenance dose for a year. I can't recall if it was money at the time or what, but I regret it.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  5. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Tomaso, if the disease lays dormant for a while but continues to return, I would consider the 45 minute drive to obtain Northstar valacylovir a walk in the park. I have been struggling with this disease for 31 years and the only time I have consistently been symptom free is when on the Northstar valacylovir.