1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Roaring in head, hearing worse, pressure upper head intense, own voice weird

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yanksgirl, Jul 28, 2018.

1. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    :( Honestly---this continual 'roaring' in my head sounds like the a/c or whatever is on constantly and making a noice.
    My own voice when I speak sounds like I'm in a well (I wear bilateral hearing aids). And this ongoing head pressure is 'getting to me'==and is there most of the time when I'm upright.

If I lay back in my recliner it will subside--but when upright, withing seconds to mins. it begins to occur. Lately making me feel sooo wiped out--taking a nap or feeling like I need one during the day--happens alot and this has gotten worse the past 6 mos.
    My hearing aids help me to hear--but clarity is 'poor' most of the time.

I see my Neuro ent in Sept. Probably nothing else to offer me--but I am really so discouraged at this constant very uncomfortable head pressure (not pain) but still uncomfortable--that even makes me nauseated at times.

I keep on keeping on--and of course this 'doesn't show' so when with others, they have 'no idea' what you're dealing with, so thing things are 'so much better'. This is the only place that truly understands. Thankfully folks here do.
    After a shunt surgery--no more vertigo--thankfully. So far no cane to walk but balance therapy helped me learn how to 'walk and focus' but at times I really have to work at that.

Just dealing with this for 10 year now is difficult. I know it could be worse--but daily is pretty bad. Thanks for listening.
    And the 'brain fog' is really awful too.

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Gee that is bad. I know i had many of those symptoms and they are tough to take. That thing about subsiding when you lie back and coming on when you stand up seems like a clue. Maybe your doctor can make something out of that. I would mention it in your next apt. Does the weather factor in too?

3. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    June--I have told every doctor I see--including my primary, cardiologist, ent and Neurologist! I have had tests--heart, lungs, even a blood patch to see if I had a 'spinal fluid leak'. Diagnosis--lead to more 'anxiety' issues--and that really gets to me. Everything, if a diagnosis can't be given, boils down to anxiety.

Well--if you have these symptoms and they are daily and sometimes 'intense' and go on and on--yes,anxiety is an issue!

I've explained how bad it feels--and take an anxiety medication as needed--no more than 2 in a day (1/2 tablet at a time) when you feel like you just can't take it anymore. It helps--but not long.

Sometimes keeping busy makes you 'push it back some' but it really 'never goes away'! Feels like if you stuck a pin thru the top of my head, you could let out the pressure! A type of migraine without the pain, one doctor told me. I even tried a migraine med--no luck. Some days are just worse. And weather at times affects it--yes!
    I keep on keeping on--so as not to let this 'win'! But, I tell you--lately it really has gotten more difficult. Thanks for your comment, June

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I was thinking just about the one part where it is better when you lie down might be a clue. Yes, i am sure you have tried all the lifestyle things regarding migraine, certain foods etc. My husband cannot take very bright sunlight or he gets migraine symptoms in his eyes. I cannot eat raw onions. Yes, i think anyone with menieres or mav is definitely going to have anxiety! Dont need to go to medical school to figure that out. I hope the symptoms back off a little bit for you soon.

5. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Thanks---me too! So many people have various symptoms--and this one is so quality of life altering. It doesn't show--thankfully!

Still, you feel like your head weighs a 'ton' and you need to close your eyes--as extreme light/noise/movement seems to make it worse. Just resting it eases it and no answers when I ask various doctors. Gets to you for sure.

:(

6. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Ugh. So sorry to hear what you're going through. And that you're not getting what you need from your medical providers. I had been with the same clinic system for 10 years, and when everything got worse this year I just wasn't getting the help I needed from them. I switched to a different clinic system farther away, but definitely worth the extra drive. Sometimes an entirely new set of eyes on the problem makes a big difference. I hope things turn for the better soon for you.

7. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Thanks, Clare!
    I have seen 4 doctors--primary care--Neuro-ent--Neurologist-Cardiologist--asking them all what could possibly be causing this awful pressure.
    Have had blood tests, hearing tests--now wear bilateral aids--and even had a blood patch (to see if I had a spinal fluid leak).

But--all I have gotten is 'it sounds like anxiety due to the Meniere's and it's made those symptoms worse--and 'get more exercise--and etc.'.
    Well, I've done all of the above--tried meds, etc. And had begun to 'cope pretty well', but the last 4 to 6 mos. the pressure has increased and days are so difficult at times. I also am facing some 'elective' surgery that is needed--but still elective. And a 'possible' urgent type meaning if it worsens suddenly.
    So, this is something I don't need right now. I do 'keep on keeping on' try to keep active--meaning just going to dinner, family things, shopping etc. But--still going some. Thanks everyone--just helps to sound off sometimes.

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Boy, sure does sound like migraine, doesnt it? Do you try the whole migraine diet thing? No chocolate etc?

9. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    I have to be honest--I rarely follow 'restricted foods' lists. That doesn't mean I don't try to cut back--but I don't eliminate anything--except maybe for awhile--mostly due to 'tummy issues' not this Meniere's thing.

I was told a few years ago, by my Neurologist then, that this was what is called a 'silent migraine'. That made sense at the time. I felt like--'wow, I have a diagnosis'! Meaning 'migraine without the pain' but all the other symptoms. However, when I had migraines, I didn't have them for months on end.
    So, after all these years and now the last few months a daily thing--all day, I sort of doubt that is what it is. But--who knows?

Since there is 'no pain' except an occasional headache--so mild that Tylenol helps it--I don't take meds for this--other than Xanax to deal with the anxiety all this has caused--and it helps--but probably makes me more tired too. ::)