1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Serious injury from drop attack

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by tdoak, Nov 26, 2017.

1. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi,

For the last few months I had been doing better with mm symptoms, although still had slow moving vertigo that was short lasting. I have been a member for a couple of years and have been following JOH and anti virals, along with just about every supplement available through a lot of research and from reading posts on here. I have been really only functioning though, hard to plan for the future. Note, symptoms started 8 years ago, and 20 months ago I had my first drop attack. With that fall I had a concussion and broken wrist. After that fall I upped my Valtrex to 3000mgs daily (still on it) and follow a super low sodium diet. Over the last year my hearing got worse, and the fullness really kicked it along with constant tinnitus. And during this time I went thru a divorce and currently still dealing with shared access issues with my son. My ex is challenging my ability to look after my 5 year old son due to mm. Note, I do work full time in an administration role in education!

And then came Nov. 14, and I stood up quickly and had a nasty drop attack. I ended up breaking my neck, but did not realize until the next morning when I went into emerg. Well, I was immediately rushed to a teaching hospital 2 hours away here in Ontario, Canada for a c6 corpectomy. This involved removing a one of my vertabre and replacing it with a bone from my hip. Well, having mm with a broken neck is not fun, and too be honest I am scared about the future. On top that, I live alone and no family within 12 hours. Recovery is 12 weeks with a hard collar. It is even hard to walk right now due to the pain in my hip from the piece of bone being removed.

Now to add to this, the week before my drop attack I finally got to meet with Mr. Chen, top surgeon at Sunnybrook Hospital in Toronto about my options and possible sac decompression surgery. Long story short, he said if he was me he would not have the surgery. They will not consider any other surgery due to my hearing in my right ear being about 50%. I now have appt. with the same surgeon on Dec. 13 ( the staff got me in quick when they heard about my neck). I am unsure what options that will proved me, but this point I am open to all options.

Sorry, for this long post, but this is the first time I have been able to vent.

Travis

2. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Travis,

I am so sorry to hear this. I am guessing we are about the same age. Have you looked into disability?

3. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks. I am bout to turn 47, still pretty young I think. Although I am at my wits end right, I am refusing to give up. I think a labby may be my best option. Of course I will be giving up ok hearing in that ear.

4. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    That is not going up at all...Hang in there. Good luck with your recovery.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Do you have good hearing in the other ear? I lost all hearing in my right ear at age 49. Yeah, i would like to have it, i cant echo locate any more, i cant hear people who whisper in that ear etc etc but it has not really been a problem for me. I do not consider myself handicapped from it. Good luck.

6. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    My left hear (the good one) has some hearing loss, but not too bad. However I do not know if I am bi lateral. That is a concern with a labby.

7. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Your situation sounds so much like mine before I had my laby. I think the big difference is after my major drop attack where I tore my rotator cuff ( no where near as serious as a broken neck!) I made the decision to go ahead and have the laby before I killed myself or someone else. By this time I had stopped driving the car, stopped riding my bike and stopped doing anything that might harm me if I did have a bad fall. My hearing was all but gone so for me it was a no brainer. I can't imagine having a broken neck and dealing with what you are dealing with. My OTO told me that if I end up with meniere's in my good ear and eventually need another laby that I would not have to live a life in silence. He left my cochlear so I would be a candidate for a cochlear implant. I can't tell you what to do but from my experience if I were you I would be running to an OTO and have a laby ASAP. I am so sorry you are going through this but remember there is life after the laby. I drive, I ride my bike, I hike I do all the things that I love to do. My hearing is pretty good, can't determine where sounds are coming from and I have a hard time in loud,noisy places. Sometimes my mm ear feels pressure and the tinnitus can be crazy but this is just a reminder that I do have meniere's and all these things I can live with. I could not live a normal life with drop attacks. I wish for you the best.

8. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the feedback. It seems everyone who has a had a labby had little to no hearing left in the affected ear. However I still do. That why I am doubtful they willl perform the procedure, they will not want to kill a good hearing ear. Very frustrating.

9. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Once you share with the OTO that you have a broken neck from a drop attack that could have killed you? Who ever you go to might change their mind? Drop attacks are nothing to dismiss to save a diseased ear. Of course this is my 2 cents worth I will be interested to see what your OTO recommends. Good luck.

10. I feel for you tdoak. When people talk about, “Meniere’s can’t kill you,” I am always tempted to point out that this particular symptom CAN lead to death. Best of luck to you, and I hope your doctor helps you the way you want. ::hugs::

11. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I agree with redwing. It's time for the laby.

12. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the support! It helps.

The surgery to graft the bone from my hip to place in my neck is just adding to my problems. It is painful, hard to move around, and some nerve isssues. I sometimes wonder what I did in a former life to deserve this punishment. :)

13. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I can just hear my last conversation with Dr. Mattox at Emory after reading this. It went exactly this way.

"Dr. Mattox i am no longer your patient, i am your 22 year old son coming to you with menieres asking his father how to have a normal life"

His response to me: "Son take it out and don't look back, get on with life"

OR

MY CONVERSATION WITH DR. RAUCH

"Dr. Rauch if your were standing in my shoes raising 3 young kids and running a company what is your decision"

Dr. Rauch response: "If i had an ear like yours i would take it out and if anything in the future needed to be done i would just live without my ears and use a Cochlear implant to hear. I have many patients living normal lives without a vestibular systems, I will call Dr. Mattox for you and tell him i recommend the laby"

Dr. Rauch was no BS, straight to the point and very matter of fact....Just what i needed to hear from maybe the OTO in the world who has seen the worst of the worst cases of mm. Same with Dr. Mattox

...........10 days later i had the laby and my life back.

14. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    When I met with Dr. Chen two weeks ago (before my recent injury) and we were talking about sac decompression, I asked what would he do if I was his son? He smiled at me and said, I have heard that before, I can only respond as a doctor.

15. hurricaneone

hurricaneone Member

May 20, 2014
    Read my old post and you will understand my next comment . Don't let menieres control your life , get the laby surgery and get on with your life . If you lose all hearing there are other good options out there . I had many if not all of your symptoms and the laby cured me as it did bulldogs { Joe } . Good Luck my friend . Find a great dr and get the Laby . Larry

16. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I am so sorry for all you are going through at once.

If I read correctly, it sounds like you were not on the full dose of Valtrex when you had the drop attack. Maybe you need to be on that amount for now because of the stress you are under. I have had returning of symptoms on less than the full dose. I'm trying Famvir now, but haven't tried going down from the full dose yet.

And if you feel good about the laby, I hope you find a way to do it.

17. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi, I have been taking 2500mgs of Valtrex daily, plus JOH. I no longer had the brain fog or sea sick feeling all time, but still had loud tinnitus and fullness. Vertigo attacks were down to about 3 to 4 a month, but very short lasting. I was actually feeling generally quite good before this drop attack. I was also taking serrapeptase and Pterostilbene & Resveratrol supplements, which I stopped taking after my fall, which has now been 2 weeks. I had only takenPterostilbene & Resveratrol a couple of days before the drop attack. I have not had any vertigo attacks since my fall, but had a couple of sensations like an attack might happen a couple of days after the fall while I was still in the hospital.

Has anyone else taken Pterostilbene & Resveratrol supplements, and if so, had any negative side effects?

Travis

18. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Hi Travis, i don't know about those supplements, but are you avoiding high arginine foods? They feed viruses.

19. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Are you taking the brand name Valtrex? I once had a resurrgence of symptoms because I was taking generic Valacyclovir and the pharmacy changed the generic manufacturer without telling me. It took me months to figure that out. From my non-doctor perspective, it sounds like the AVs were working for you, but just not quite enough. Your family situation sounds extremely stressful and maybe you just need to be on the full dose for a while and/or could be a brand issue.

20. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I had the same thing happen and switched to name brand because of it.