1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Service dogs for menieres disease

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Heather and ghost, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Heather and ghost

Heather and ghost New Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Utah
    Hello
    I'm new to this board I live in the United States and I have my second service dog for my menieres disease. He alerts to vertigo 15 minutes prior to an attack he helps with my balance and much more. I became a certified trainer so I can help others with training a service dog for them since agencies can be very pricey. If anyone wants more information about this feel free to message me back.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I can understand how a service dog can help you with balance and walking but would you please explain how a dog can detect when you're going to have a vertigo attack? What signs do they pick up on?

3. Heather and ghost

Mar 22, 2019
    Utah
    He picks up on chemical changed 15 minutes before a vertigo episode and will nudge me if I don't respond then he will pull on the lead to get me to sit down or he will push my chest and knock me into a seated position it's amazing.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Wow that is truly amazing!

5. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    This is awesome. Having a service dog to help would also provide companionship and comfort. Menierer's can bring loneliness as you might tend to pull back from social activities due to not being comfortable in social gatherings due to noise irritation; not being able to hear well or understand people; feeling unsteady, tired, and sometimes weak; and fear of having a vertigo episode. Not to mention, most social events are centered around food. If you are following a low sodium, low sugar, Menierer's diet it is sometimes difficult to eat.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Tess72764

Tess72764 New Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Arkansas USA
    Heather and Ghost, can you please post more information about your service dog as well as specific training.

• Like Like x 1
  7. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    This is amazing. I know they have service dogs for diabetics who can detect when their owner has low blood sugar. Fantastic Heather!!

8. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Truly a mans / woman’s best friend.

9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’ve heard of service dogs for epilepsy, autism... all kinds of amazing things.

Do you know of any organization in Canada?

10. lat3356

lat3356 New Member

Jul 31, 2019
    Heather, do your trained dogs also warn of an impending "drop attack"?

• Like Like x 2
  11. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I don't doubt this for one second. Dogs have a sense of things--lots of different things--that we humans don't have.

12. Heather and ghost

Mar 22, 2019
    Utah
    Ghost alerts are getting better everyday. I now have a new puppy that he's teaching. He's a standard poodle. It's always good to have a backup dog in case something happens to him. If anyone is in Utah I'd love to help them with a service dog. I don't do agencies because I find I bond better with puppies.

13. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    Bummer. I have an Australian Shepherd who is so smart. I’d move her to be my menieres service dog. But I’m in MN

14. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Oh stop it.

Wait, what?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Don't mind him. Nathan's just a smartass. Hey guys! I'm back. I've truly been sick as a dog. Sorry, I'm still my punny self. Missed you all.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019
    Planning to get a service dog, but mostly for hearing.its hard to find the right dog.

17. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    My post was to say I’d LOVE her to be a service dog (my dog) but she’s a nut case.

18. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Hurray!

Ladies & gentlemen, brothers & sisters, comrades & friends, for the record I do assert, as I would hate to be accused of as much, I'm neither a typo nor grammar nazi.

I 'wait'ed & 'what'ed' not because I take issues with typographical error, but rather because I assumed someone had finally recognised my unparalleled genius.

However my heart promptly shattered when I realised Saera was, in fact, concerning her delightful & intelligent female hound, & not me (I'm Australian *sniffs).

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Saera

Saera Active Member

Jul 5, 2019
    I love Aussies Nathan!!!! Both the furry ones and the human variety!!

20. Teatimecreations

Teatimecreations New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Hi, Heather and Ghost. I would like more information on training to vertigo alerts. I don’t see how to email you directly.