1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Service Dogs

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by sherisuth, Oct 19, 2016.

1. sherisuth

sherisuth New Member

Oct 19, 2016
    Has anyone heard of being able to use a service dog to alert before a vertigo attack hits - I am trying desperately to think of anything that might give me back my life! As a Property Manager, my job involved a lot of driving, and with no warning on the attacks, I am unable to return to work.

TIA

2. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Laby time!!!!

Don't let mm control your life. You have options

• Like Like x 1
  3. BEANZMEANZ

BEANZMEANZ Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Hi Sherisuth
    I'm not sure a first time poster to the forum would get a lot of information from "laby time" so here goes my stab. Firstly, I'm very sorry you have this horrible condition. I've never heard of service dogs being able to detect vertigo attacks, but there are a lot of posts from people that have found ways to at least keep the number of episodes to a minimum. Try looking for the posts on Antivirals especially Valtrex. Also the "John of Ohio" regime which helps a lot of people. The procedure Bulldogs is talking about does bring relief but it does also remove the hearing in the affected ear. But there is also a less destructive procedure that cuts the balance nerve and leaves the hearing in-tack. Plus the endolymphatic shunt which seems to have mixed results but helps some people greatly. If you can't find the information you need then try posting asking about these and I'm sure you'll get lots of help.

4. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    If you have tried everything else, then try antivirals and/or surgery as a last resort. Labys do stop the vertigo.

5. moodymom27

moodymom27 Active Member

I asked about going ahead and doing the laby at my last appointment. She said not until we've tried everything else. Ugh.

6. Heather and ghost

Heather and ghost New Member

Mar 22, 2019
    Utah
    Yes service dogs can alert to vertigo I know because I have one named ghost he is my second hearing and mobility service dog and I also am a certified trainer for service dogsghost is alerting to my attacks 15 min before they hit and won't let me up.

Attached Files:

7. srmophett

srmophett New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    louisiana
    I find it very interesting that a dog can alert you 15 minutes before an attack, that is amazing in my book and another reason people should acknowledge all of the services that dogs provide for so many in various ways. Seems to me if researches could figure out what "change" occurs in the human body that is significant enough to alert a dog, maybe we would have one more piece of the puzzle to add to the picture.

• Like Like x 2
  8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    If you have not yet tried antivirals, please look into them ie acyclovir, valtrex or famvir. Many people have success with them. It takes a hefty dose over a long period of time, months, but they do work for many but not all. Allergy treatment (testing and shots) also help some. Success with these and most treatments other than surgery are not an on/off switch. It takes a while but the sooner you start the sooner you know. Good luck.

PS, my dog is not a service dog, but she is a life saver none the less. Hope you find the right canine companion.

9. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    We are pet free right now after I gave the Parrot to a car dealership here in Atlanta, but

dam if my boys don’t ask for a dog everyday....the problem is not the dog...one wants a French Bulldog, One wants a Cocker Spaniel and the oldest wants a golden doodle.

I told them they have to work it out. So far no progress.

10. srmophett

srmophett New Member

Feb 12, 2018
    louisiana
    Take the boys to an animal shelter and let them have a look there, you never know, they may find the perfect match for all three of them and gain a faithful and thankful companion who needed a second chance.

I used to rescue and foster dogs and you would be surprised at what you will find in shelters.

• Like Like x 3
  11. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Those three breeds have very different needs. I think it might be good for mom and dad to check out the breeds requirements. The dog will be around long after the kiddos are off to college and no pet apartments. A dog that doesnt shed much like a poodle can be a lot easier to keep up after than a short hair that sheds alot. Doodles can be either way. Some of the greatest bonds i have seen are between owners and their shelter dogs as srmophett says. Good luck. (You dont have any antique furniture do you?)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    190660D9-B024-4495-AAA3-B42067614A95.jpeg Welcome to the family Winnie

Boys settled on a French Bulldog we named her Winnie

The question will now become will the 3 boys take care of Winnie it will it be the Chief and I.....I give it 3 weeks and then the Chief and I take control.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Joney

Joney Active Member

Apr 12, 2019
    Awww! So cute!

14. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Oh my what a sweet addition to your family. Enjoy the love you will receive from Winnie!!