1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Shrieking tinnitus during sleep?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by bubbagump, May 13, 2014.

1. bubbagump

bubbagump New Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi all, for the last 4 days I have really loud shrieking tinnitus that wakes me up in the middle of sleeping. This is quite different from the standard near-constant low roaring tinnitus, and occasional high pitched one during a vertigo attack. It happens exactly 3-4 hours after sleeping, wakes me up, and lasts 3-4 hours exactly.

Anyone else had something similar?

2. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    If I sleep/remain horizontal for more than 3-4 hours, my tinnitus is usually worse when I wake up. Not by much, though noticeable. It then takes 30 minutes or so for it to reduce to normal levels.

3. No I keep a fan at constant run while sleeping. It helps (some) with the ringing. Hope you get it figured out soon so that you can sleep.

4. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Maybe a sleep/white noise machine to help drown it out, unless the sound may make your tinnitus worse, I am not sure.

5. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I do notice that my tinnitus tends to increase if I don't get enough sleep but I've never experienced anything like you described. I'm sure you've thought this through already but can you think of any changes you've made in your sleep habits or even while awake these past four days?

6. rondrums51

rondrums51 Diagnosed 2004, went bilateral 2013

May 12, 2014
    Southwest Florida coast
    Yep. High pitched screaming, all the time. It wakes me up sometimes. I've never had much low roaring noise.

Can't do a damn thing about it. I've somehow learned to live with it.

Ron

7. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Mine has and still is high pitched tinnitus but at a tolerable level, background noise usually drowns it out.

8. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    bubbagump - I had that happen to me a couple of years ago for a few months straight. Mine would wake me up and it reminded me of the screaming fire alarm at my work. Mine too would last for hours. Always at night. Have you tried sleeping with your head propped up? sometimes I believe that laying flat contributes to some of my issues during "active" times with this thing.

9. imasteeler

imasteeler Member

May 12, 2014
    Houston
    Woke up with a loud shrieking tinnitus this morning about 2:30... much worse than "normal" and for no apparent reason. Hasn't happened for several months.

Turned the TV on, which has recently become my first response in these circumstances, to try to give my brain something else to process.

Fell back asleep within 30 minutes or so, woke up again at 5:30 with levels I have grown accustomed to - which is plenty bad enough... :mad:

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I used to get a very loud clanging wrench on pipes just as I dropped off to sleep every night. It was completely unlike my 24/7 50,000 fan T. They both went away with av's and allergy treatment. Mainly the av's I think.

11. 1Dizzybee

1Dizzybee New Member

May 12, 2014
    Tennessee
    I keep a fan AND my TV on when I'm going to sleep AND I try to prop my head up. Man I miss the days when I could just come home and crash ;)

12. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Masking tinnitus in order to relax or sleep is important. By no means am I trying to deny anyone this mechanism.

However before you turn on a fan &/or a TV, perhaps consider the energy transfer & subsequent energy loss occurring every time you employ a device, or multiple devices designed to produce more than sound energy. The electromagnetic, kinetic & thermal energy generated by a TV's screen & a fan's blade/airfoil are energy forms & energy amounts inessential to tinnitus masking sounds.

Alternatively, you can save yourselves cash, decrease the amount of electricity you use & minimise your carbon footprint by simply listing to a device designed to emit sound only, such as a MP3 player. There are hundreds of MP3 recordings designed specifically to mask tinnitus. Employing headphones may even allow your partner to experience a betters night's sleep, too.

Win win.

13. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    Although I really don't feel the need to mask my tinnitus when trying to sleep, I actually prefer some noise. It needs to be a constant, steady noise though as I become aware of variable sounds. I sleep with a noise generator which I first started to use several years ago to mask the snoring of the man upstairs from me (yes, he was that loud!). He's no longer there but I became so accustomed to the noise that I find it difficult to sleep in complete silence.

14. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I was thinking headphones with some soft music could help, too.

15. Vicki

Vicki Guest

For me wearing headphones is a big no no. It sets off my tinnitus in a biiig way. My tinnitus is usually low level but high pitched and if I having any direct sound like headphones going into my ear, it will cause my ear to go deaf and make the tinnitus very loud.

16. Selene

Selene Member

May 18, 2014
    I run a hepa filter on high, it masks the noise and clears the air ..... win/win. When I read the reviews looking for a hepa filter the biggest critique was that they were too loud and noisy... that was my biggest plus LOL

17. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Hey, Vicki. This may not work for you, though if, like me, you're required to keep up with audio information, or a music buff who enjoys bopping to tunes in public settings, it may be worth trying different types of headphones.

I was once in your exact situation. Standard, particularly cheaper low quality in-ear headphones are absolutely hideous for both my tinnitus & hyperacusis. They seem to even increase my aural fullness, too. However noise cancelling in-ear headphones are much less influential on my tinnitus, & over the ear noise cancelling head phones don't influence my tinnitus at all.

If you're not in a similar situation, give 'em a miss altogether of course. If there's anything worse than tinnitus, it's tinnitus inducing situations.