1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Small Talk

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Maggie, Apr 17, 2016.

1. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Chiming in in Pueeto Rico, I work for JCPenney and the company is huge there. We had 7 stores before the storm, 4 of them were written off entirely. When the San Juan store reopened, they did over a million dollars in sale the first day. They soon sold out of most items altogether.

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Yes, Mel, it could have been much worse. I wondered about people who might run a business out of their home and would need telephone and internet access. To us it was an inconvenience and annoying, but we survived. I thought about the people of Puerto Rico, numerous times. What they are going through is unconscionable. I saw a news story just two days ago that showed dozens of cargo containers destined for Puerto Rico still sitting full of food in Florida! No one can explain why the food has never made its way to the people who need it. Yet, the people in charge have given themselves a "10" for the way the Puerto Rico disaster was handled. What a joke!

Oh heck, Autumn. I thought the repair was being done by some two person operation out of Montana. ::)
    But, ya never know.

PR isn't even going to have 100% electricity restored until May at the earliest. People are still living in shacks with no roofs. Pre-storm norms are definitely years and years away.

3. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    That’s interesting, mbgphoto. I’m fascinated by the debacle in PR. As Cheryl said it’s unconscionable that US citizens are suffering after all this time.

Cheryl,
    I didn’t mean to diminish the inconvenience you endured by comparing to PR; it was just a train of thought thingy.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Oh, I know you didn't, Mel. I never thought that.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Cheers to everyone doing nothing on New Year's Eve!

6. People do things on New Year’s Eve? Who are these people, and what do they do? Did they call for help? ;D
    ::burying head in book::

7. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Love this. Make sure your sound is on!

http://twistedsifter.com/videos/marble-run-synced-to-tchaikovsky-waltz-of-the-flowers/#.WlaXXa1rykQ.twitter

8. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Absolutely amazing Mel C!

9. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
  10. ::crying with laughter:: unexpected

11. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Oh, Nathan! Ewww. I couldn’t get past the opening scene. Yuck.

I’m wondering why posters try to mitigate their swear words with stupid symbols. Everyone knows what they’re trying to convey; so if you want to say bitch, then say bitch. Strap on a pair.

12. Oh, you have to get past the first scene! Worth it. It’ll make you laugh

But, but what if I broke my strap on pair?! ::she wails:: I’m still waiting for my brass set to arrive. ROFL

Mel, I don’t THINK I posted this already. I found the Barnacle Gosling hatching video. It’s hard to watch, but believe it or not, the one in the video is fine. Once again, Mother Nature is crazy...

https://youtu.be/rxGuNJ-nEYg

Let’s not forget Seahorses, just because they’re magnificent, of course!

https://youtu.be/MsHCqrrU-Gk

13. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada

Will watch the gosling hatching when I think I can handle it. I’ll strap on a pair and just do it!

Loved the seahorses. Poor guy was exhausted and then she’s at him to get right back at it and do it again. I agree seahorses are awesome.

Thanks, Autumn; you made my day!

14. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Hey, Autumn,
    I decided to watch the gosling video in spite of my acrophobia. Our grandsons were here so we decided it would be interesting so we wat he’d it together.

Two of the three kids also have the acrophobia thing going on. We soon forgot that and became more concerned for what those goslings had to endure.

Awesome video; thanks for that Autumn.

It was a lovely experience to watch with young people who obviously care about the well being of others.

15. Mel, that is fantastic! I love it that you’re introducing your grandsons to wildlife~in all of it’s crazy forms. I had this ancient, amazing 3rd or 4th cousin, no idea how distantly we were related, because that’s how it’s done in the South, but when I was a little tyke she showed me bird watching! I still like to just be still in nature and watch the birds. (Not the birdbrains)

Hummingbirds feeding

https://youtu.be/EUEZkwJulBY

Hummingbirds growing in nest

https://youtu.be/gU_pJ8PAWwQ

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Dateline on NBC tonight. The events they're covering tonight happened not far from where I live. I'm sure they'll show the courthouse where the civil trial was held. I can it see from my kitchen window. The accused murderer is my brother's neighbor. Can't wait to watch it. I'm a big Dateline fan and when it's about people you know I think it's going to be fascinating.

http://kniakrls.com/2018/01/jason-carter-to-enter-plea-thursday-with-dateline-nbc-to-broadcast-the-farm-friday-2/

17. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Awesome links, Autumn. I love humming birds!

The challenge is on. I also love penguins, sheep and jellyfish! Looking forward to your next set of links.

18. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I’m a true crime junkie so I would have found this very fascinating, Cheryl. I missed your post in time to watch Dateline tonight but I’m hoping I can find the episode on line. I wonder why he allegedly killed his mother.

Intriguing. I’ll be checking this out for sure.

19. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    If interested, & if all systems remain green for launch at 1:30pm EST tomorrow, a live stream of Falcon Heavy's maiden launch & landing can be viewed here.

… Please don't explode, please don't explode.

20. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Are you aware of any links to Dateline's 'The Farm' that is void of regional lockout, Cheryl?

Likewise. You may (or may not) have access here.