1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Small Talk

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Maggie, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Autumn,
    Tipple is alcoholic beverage

Barley sandwich is beer.

2. What in the world?! Does not compute! I’d love to know the origin of that crazy phrase. Why not, “hops sandwich?” Where did the sandwich part of the phrase even originate? Ack! And here I thought it was just Southern slang that was bad...I’m going over yonder til my head ain’t so swoled up. ;)

3. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I’m chuckling Autumn. I think the expression came from the prairies. When you live in the middle of nowhere, with little to do except work hard drinking is often the chosen activity.

Having a beer , especially with lunch is having a barley sandwich. It’s a euphemism to disguise that one is drinking beer at noon.

It reminds me of one Xmas when my sons were home from university. They were devouring the decorated sugar cookies like hell wouldn’t have it. I had spent a fair amount of time piping the icing on and wanted them to last for a day or two. I stupidly suggested they should lay off the cookies and eat some vegetables. Younger son picks up a holly leaf cookie, looks it over and says “this looks like a leafy green” stuffed it in his mouth. Now the Xmas cookies are referred to as vegetables, as in, “did you make vegetables this year mom?”

:D :D :D :D :D

• Like Like x 1
  4. That’s hilarious! I thought for sure you were going to say they’d been enjoying a different kind of leafy green, the way they were downing the cookies. Glad they didn’t lose their cookies. ::cackling:: WOW I have no patience when it comes to decorating cookies. What is this, “ piping,” that you speak of?! LOL Okay, I know what it is, I appreciate those who can do it, and therefore may I submit my Christmas cookie order to you in advance? :D :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Nah, Autumn, my kids are boringly straight.

To day is Pi day! My grandsons are coming for supper. We are having homemade steak and veggie pie and homemade lemon chiffon pie for dessert. I wanted coconut cream, but I was out voted!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Vixen,
    Do you mean you guys actually celebrate Pi Day?! That’s AWESOME! The grands must love that!

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Vixen, your supper sounds delicious!

8. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Yes, Autumn, we do. Oldest grandson is a math/science geeky nerdy guy. He was boggled when I showed him that the mirror image of 3.14 is Pi.e! Blew his nerdy little mind!

Any excuse to have pie. Next year we are having coconut cream and if they don’t like it, oh well... all the more for me!

Thanks, Cheryl. It was good. Dixie was allowed some peas and carrots from the steak/ Effie pie so everyone got in on the deal.

9. OMG you just blew MY mind! I’ve got to ask the kid if he knows that one...Next year, I’m going to make pies too! LOL

10. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Drool

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I agree, mbg.

Vixen, looks like you'll need to set some extra places for Pi Day next year.

12. Party at Mel's house! BYOB ;)

13. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Is that Bring Your Own Betahistine?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I have stocked up on mine so I can share !

15. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Hello old friends! Anybody there? I hope all is good with you wherever you are. Waving at you all

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  16. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Hey Marta and Maggie! I live in Calgary. I was an extra on Heartland! What a blast - good days pre-MM :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Hi AnneT Nice to meet you! I am still a fan of Heartland. The scenery is breathtaking. I am on season 11 now. If you wish and don’t mind please elaborate on being an extra on it. All the best to you

18. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    It must have been an early season.. if I find the episode number I’ll let you know. There are a couple of shots of me strolling around Main Street. There’s one scene where you can see me clear as day, in the cafe, pretending to drink coffee and chat. I also got bonus pay for letting them use my beige car in a scene.
    It was very fun to hang with the other background workers, see the talent up close, and see the incredible detail and work that happens to create a few minutes of tv or film. They fed us well, and it’s fun to have your makeup done and touched up through the day.

19. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    It sounds so exciting! Did you have a chance to talk to the film stars? Please let me know once you find out the episode number. Alberta seems to be one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Ooh I love the walking dead. In a future life I want to come back as on of their makeup artists.