1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Small Talk

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Maggie, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    How have you all been? It has been a long time! Have you been away on holidays yet or are you going away soon? Are you still out there fabulous ladies?
    Waving at all lovely people

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Hi Marta,

I've been trying for two years to get away on a vacation. My daughter and I were going to go to Colorado last summer, but I had an emergency appendectomy, complications and long recovery so that ruined part of my summer. We said we'd go this year, but she had the opportunity to go to Greece, so that's how she's spending her vacation this summer. My husband and I are having a staycation and we'll be building a new deck on the back of our house, after we get the old one down. Colorado.....maybe next year.

When you get your break from teaching, how long will that be and are you getting away from home?

3. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Cheryl nice to hear from you Colorado sounds so exotic for people like me! Maybe next year. I hope you have completely recovered from wha happened to you last year. Your staycation is going to be very busy but having a new deck is worth it.
    I have seven more get ups and I will officially be holidaying I am going to visit my parents and then other places from there. I am excited. I only hope that the temperature stays in its 80s at least! At the moment it is around 68 and as you know it is not good enough for me.
    Have a very good Friday Cheryl and all other lovely people out there.

4. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Only seven more get ups. Well, now only six. Yay! You can do it. How many weeks will you have for your holiday? Sixty-eight is even a little cool for me. Hope it warms up for your entire visit with your parents. Temps here remain in the 90's and the forecast for next week is high 90's. Enough already!

5. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    What I find hard with high temperatures is getting quality sleep at night time . It is so hard to get one ! It's not common to have AC here so people mostly use fans ( or nothing!). Perhaps if I had to experience over 90s temperatures for weeks I would change my mind as to whether I still like the heat.
    We break up on 21 July and go back to work/ school on 4 September. Comparing to other countries it's a short summer break but .... better than nothing!
    I have a hospital appointment this morning with my ENT. I think he is going to discharge me
    as I have been vertigo free for 9 months yuppie! Next appointment in that place will be getting a hearing aid. I hope it's going to work on my ear.
    Have a great Friday

6. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    It sounds like you are doing great now, Marta. Congrats on your long hiatus from vertigo.
    I hope the hearing aid works for you. I have too much distortion so a hearing aid won't work.
    Have a terrific holiday.

Cheryl, I hope you guys didn't work too hard tearing down the deck. What a big job.

We had a horrific hail storm yesterday . Not surprising after days of record scorching heat. My flowers look like someone went after them with a weed whacker. First world problems.

I have to take my dog in to have a mast cell tumour removed today. I'm really worried.

7. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Marta, how did the appointment for the hearing aid go?

I'm sure you're counting down the days and getting very anxious now to fly off to see your family.

Maggie, the job was exhausting in the heat. Thank goodness that is behind us. It was a bigger job than I ever thought it would be. We thought we'd dismantle it by taking out the screws. That was wishful thinking. We had to use saws and crowbars. What a mess.

I hope your flowers recover from their brutal encounter with the hail. I think they still have time to get pretty again.

Hoping to hear good news about Dixie. I know how much you have come to love her.

8. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Cheryl the appointment went well thank you, it was ENT one, a hearing aid appointment is in September . The ENT surgeon was pleased with the results and he said that after me he operated other people with similar great results.
    I am flying next Monday and it's too soon for me as I will not have enough time to do what I need to do at home. We are only breaking up on Friday which leaves me with the weekend to sort everything out. Here is my husband booking tickets for me!
    I can't believe you dismantled your deck by yourselves. You are my heros!
    Melc poor flowers of yours. Hailstones can be really dangerous and destructive. A few years ago massive hailstones made dents in my cousin ' S car in Germany.
    I keep my fingers crossed for your pup!
    Waving at everyone.

9. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks, Marta and Cheryl. I won't know for 7 to 10 days whether Dixie will be ok. They sent the growth for a biopsy. She was pretty groggy when we picked her up last night.

She ate and drank lots of water today. Keeping her inactive is a big job! It good to see her more perky today.

My poor flower beds look terrible. I spent quite a while cleaning them and trimming all the dead stuff away this morning so they look a bit better now.

Have a great visit with your family Marta. Cheryl, take it easy!

10. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I keep my fingers crossed for your dog. The fact that she has been eating and drinking a lot is a good sign. Please keep us informed.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Melc, sending good vibes to your pup. I hope they removed all of the tumor and that will be the end of it.

Are you still having really hot weather?

Marta, oops. I thought you were having the hearing aid appointment following the appointment with your ENT. Congratulations on your nine month anniversary of being vertigo free! May you never experience it again.

You are going to have a busy weekend!

12. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Thanks, Cheryl and Marta

Dixie seems to be doing quite well considering. I'm pleased that she doesn't need a cone to keep her from chewing or licking her incision. That's bonus as I know she would hate that. I'm supposed to keep her inactive for one more day and that is quite the chore. I see it as a good thing.

The hot weather broke with the hail storm from hell on Sunday night. We are having such weird weather, but to be honest hail is quite normal here.

Have you recovered from the deck removal, Cheryl?

Marta are you packed and ready to go? I usedd to love to travel . I hope your trip is a schwakload of fun!

13. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Thanks Cheryl and Melc
    I am glad Dixie is doing well. Fingers crossed for her !
    Last night we had a storm with lots of rain. It was quite scary especially if thunders wake you up in the middle of the night.
    I have not packed yet and I am sure I will do it the last minute. I still have so much going on at work and so many errands to run. I don't have time to think about my holidays. ( I know I should)
    Have a great Thursday lovely ladies!!!

14. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I went to collect my car from the garage today. The garage is in an awkward place as it's not near to any train stations. Instead of taking a cab I decided to scooter there. It took me about 40 minutes and it would have been more than an hour if I had decided to take a train and then walk. I have been using my scooter to work since April and I have to say there are more and more adults using this " means of transport." Today a big man went past me on his super fast scooter. However there are still people who look at you in a strange way smirking. Are scooters for adults common where you live??? It is a great way of excercising!

15. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I had my well deserved ice- cream today! Two scoops: chocolate and maracuya. It took me two minutes to eat them I am not sure what flavour I am got to choose tomorrow . ( in September I am going to cry that my clothes are too tight ha ha)

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Marta,

I don't know how I missed your last couple of posts.

About the scooter....where I live we don't see many adults riding scooters. Lots of high school age kids ride them around and also ride them to school. What I see most of around here are golf carts. They are allowed on the streets and are a pain in the butt.

I had never heard of maracuya flavored ice cream, so I had to look it up. Passion fruit? I've never been anywhere where that flavor is available and I've never had passion fruit, so not sure if I'd like it. I like most flavors of ice cream and if I had to pick a favorite, it would probably be lemon. Lemon anything, I love it. There's always room for ice cream!

17. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    . . . On public streets?

A pain in the arse due to the cart's lower top speed, or the driving demeanour of those operating the carts? Or a combination of the two?

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Yes, Nathan, on public streets, and for both reasons you mentioned. :mad:

It's most bothersome this time of year when our town of 8,000 grows to around 100,00 for two weeks of what is called "The Nationals" sprint car races. It's a nightmare. It's difficult to get around town and the people driving the carts weave in and out of traffic and act as if everyone should look out for them. Last year there was a collision at a busy intersection and a woman was thrown from her golf cart onto the highway. She was badly injured, but it didn't change anything. They're still allowed, year round. Just a couple of days ago I got behind a golf cart that was going three miles per hour. There was lots of traffic and I couldn't get around it. I don't have the patience for that.

19. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Bizarre.

Nor should the Department of Transportation. Never mind the annoyance. Never mind the issues golf carts pose to traffic safety & fluency, or the wider transportation system. Safety concerns for the cart's occupants alone render the idea insane.

Akin to the effect drones have on many of their operators, & similar to late adolescence, golf carts, like social media, have an uncanny ability to bestow opportunity & freedom, while simultaneously depriving many jockeys of the corresponding responsibilities.

Independent of blood alcohol concentration, strange scenes involving golf carts are guaranteed when spending any significant amount of time on Hamilton Island, for example. As though the act of merely sitting in one summons mischief in even the most judicious adult.

20. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Marta, do you mean motoriized scooters or the self propelled ones? Do you mean they are driven on the streets or on the sidewalk or in your case the pavement?

Cheryl,

I'm boggled that golf carts are allowed on your streets. That's insane. What could go wrong?