1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Small Talk

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Maggie, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Yeah, Melc, what could go wrong? I'm afraid it's going to take a fatality before the city leaders come to their senses.

Here's the policy:

Golf carts may be used on city streets by persons possessing a valid driver's license. The golf carts shall be equipped with a slow moving vehicle sign, bicycle safety flag, and the driver must carry proof of liability insurance for the cart. Golf carts may operate on the streets only from sunrise to sunset and cannot be used on Highway 14, Lincoln Street. Utility vehicles (Mules, Gators, Raiders, etc.) may also be used if they have a City permit. Those permits are available at the Police Department for $25. Golf carts and utility vehicles are limited to carrying only as many people as there are seats. No one may ride on a lap or in the cargo area of either vehicle.
    ATVs are not allowed to be driven on any City street.

WHAT? No ATVs?

It's all about the money. It first started when people visiting here for the races started hauling their golf carts in to drive around town while they were here. The city allowed it because of the economic boost to the city from these visitors. Then, some of the locals started complaining and saying if golf carts can be driven on the streets by outsiders for special events, they should be allowed all the time. The above policy is what we ended up with. Insane.

2. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Money talks
    But it don't sing
    sing and dance
    And it don't walk...

Neil Diamond had it right.

Amazing and sad what people will do for money. What really boggles me is what people who already have more money than they know what to do with, will sell their their souls to get more.

3. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Nor emus?

[​IMG]

What a rip-off.

4. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    My previous comment may generate confusion. It was said in response to Cheryl’s comment;

5. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Funny, Nathan. That reminded me of driving in Cairo. The traffic was insane. You never knew when you come across a cart pulled by a donkey or a guy riding a camel. Often they were going against the traffic.

6. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Ahh, the difference between men and women.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=-4EDhdAHrOg

7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    *is laughing

I've seen this multiple times. Inevitably, 2 - 3 times a month, something will occur which reminds me of it.

*is still laughing

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Ha ha. An occasional horse, yes, but no emus, yet. It's probably just a matter of time.

9. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Any one know why a member would be viewing my profile for more than 15 minutes? There's nothing to see!

This poster has never made a post. It's not the first time I've noticed this. Weird.

10. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Now it's even weirder. The same poster who was viewing my profile for a long time is now reporting a topic to a moderator. Weirder.

11. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Happens all the time, Melc. It's always the same member, who has never made a post, doing the viewing and reporting. It's also the same two or three members who are always having their profile viewed for long periods of time. I can't even count the times I've seen it happen and I'm the one whose profile is being viewed, for sometimes up to an hour. Maybe we're special?

12. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Weird, Cheryl. They are viewing your profile right now.

13. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Hope they find what they're looking for. Not a whole lot to see on my profile.

14. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Victorians are currently debating a closely related topic: that of horse-drawn carriages in Melbourne's CBD.

Human perspectives aside, it would have to be stressful to be a horse when operated by a primate—their hooves jarring on hardened concrete, amongst the jumbled lights, movements, fumes, & sounds of city traffic.

It would be stressful to be a horse when in proximity to moving cars in general, I would imagine.

If I were a horse, & assigned to transport humans amidst the whirl & rush of their traffic, I'd be highly uncooperative, that's for sure.

15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Rumour has it that the three members you speak of constitute what is often referred to as the Holy Trinity. In other cultures, The Three Amigos.

16. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    To add to the list of terrific things that come in triplicate , may I suggest the Hanson Brothers, the number of bones in the human ear, and the ever popular three sheets in the wind?

17. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Don't forget the three stooges!

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    The Three Amigos. Yes. I like that. Count me in.

19. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada

I made a giant pot of summer borscht this morning. After it sits in the fridge to let the flavours marry, it's going to be really good. It's supposed to be cooler tomorrow so it will be perfect with some bacon pepper cheddar scones.

I also did up two more batches of tomatoes. I feel like Suzi Homemaker today.

20. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    That's really ambitious, Melc. I've never had borscht, so I had to look it up. I think I might like it. The scones sound wonderful.

Thursday I made tomato soup with fresh picked tomatoes and today I used more tomatoes to make goulash. Everything tastes so much better with home grown tomatoes.