1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Sodium and long distance running

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by Sheri from Houston, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Sheri from Houston

Sheri from Houston New Member

Sep 17, 2020
    Hi everyone! New girl to the forum... but not the disease. I've been trolling the forum the past week and am happy but also sad there are soo many people suffering from this cruel condition. The disease progression started to get critical for me around Spring 2018. My attacks (all drop attacks) used to be due to seasonal allergies, but just weeks after I completed my 1st Ultra Marathon, I was in a world of hurt. 3-5 drop attacks a week. Currently I'm managing my symptoms and making strides towards "normal" living, which means running...running far. Is there anyone out there who runs and has found that sweet spot of sodium that is needed for long distance running and that doesn't create vertigo issues?

2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I didn't know you needed sodium to run long distances. I only run 20-30 minutes every other day so I can't help you. On the other hand, I'm not sure that sodium is a trigger for me because some days I spend with salt in my meals or I eat nachos with hot sauce for example and it doesn't affect me.

In any case, if you need sodium to run long distances, it only occurs to me that you take 0.3g just before starting the race, 0.3g mid-race and 0.3g at the end. That is less than 1g in 3-4 hours that a marathon lasts, so it would not be high sodium intake and it would be distributed.

You should talk to the organization of the marathon so that they will have your drink with sodium ready mid-race.