1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Sore and warm (inside) ears

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Hispoiema, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Hispoiema

Hispoiema New Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Oahu
    Hello All
    I have been dizzy every day since 1982. I was diagnosed by an ENT is 2009. He did not give me a name for what I had but told me it was incurable and sent me to physical therapy. I assume it is Meniere's.
    I was wondering if anyone has similar (other) symptoms that I have (if they are related to Meniere's or not) I often have soreness or pain in my ears - sometime accompanied by a warm sensation. Also, I will at times get random sore throats. Both of these things come and go like the wind and seem very random.
    I had my first cold sore as a child in elementary school - maybe 1 or 2 total in my life. I had chicken pox for the first time in my early 20's.
    But mainly I have 24/7 dizziness, brainfog, tinnitus. I also have disequilibrium much of the time and sometimes blurred vision. Sometimes I feel like I am being thrown down to the ground when I am sitting still. I lean to the left and bump into walls etc.
    I believe I have sore muscles as a result of trying to keep my balance when I walk.
    I also read that headache and stiff neck could be related. (?)
    I have only had spinning a few times and generally only when I am sick with congestion. Though this year I have had spinning about 3 times for no apparent reason. Life is manageable for the most part but really I feel like I am simply existing until I die due to not being able to get out and do things on my own without the stress of being dizzy (parallell parking can bring on spinning etc) and it is difficult to think and concentrate in terms of reading etc.
    I felt validated by the ENT though. Everyone told me it was anxiety and it took going to the ENT to show them I was validly dizzy and it wasn't due to anxiety or stress.
    I will check back later - hubby wants to watch a movie on the computer
    Thanks all
    Kathy in Oahu

2. 911Timo

911Timo New Member

Sep 3, 2019
    West Palm Beach FL
    I’m not expert or doctor by no means but least to me your symptoms don’t sound like typical meniers at all. If it’s been 10 years since you visited ENT I think I least could get fully checked out again and have full vestibular testing done to really find out what’s going on with your dizziness. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I agree with 911Timo.

Hispoiema, you owe it to yourself to see a good neurotologist for testing and maybe even an MRI to try to get to the bottom of the symptoms you are experiencing. Many of your symptoms really don't jibe with Meniere's.

People with Meniere's are usually not dizzy all the time.

How is your hearing? When you have spinning, how long does it last?

I'm sorry you feel as if you are merely existing. Everyone deserves more than that out of life.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hispoiema

Hispoiema New Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Oahu
    Spinning might last an hour but it does not make me nauseous - not as bad as most who have it. And I rarely have it.
    I'm not sure about my hearing. Sometimes I have a hard time understanding people. I am 55.
    My ears feel clogged pretty much all the time (but all docs said they look fine inside in the past)
    When I went they gave me an mri, checked my hearing (told me I had tinnitus which I already knew) and put me on that dentist chair looking thing with things over my eyes hooked up to a computer, moved me around, squirt water in my ears etc
    Said that my right ear is different shaped inside from the left.
    Then said it's incurable and sent me to physical therapy. Told me I needed to train my eyes, ears and brain to work together.
    So maybe it's not meniere's but due to the shape of my ear(?) which is what he told me is the reason I am dizzy.
    I think I was just wanting a name for what I have. Maybe there isn't one.
    Also, I rarely hear about people being dizzy 24/7 either.
    And, there's always the thought of my neck needing adjustment. I should look into a good chiropractor.
    Thanks for the insight.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  5. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I agree with the posts above. It is time for a second opinion from a neurologist. Good luck.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hispoiema

Hispoiema New Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Oahu
    Thank you

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Speedyhaze

Speedyhaze New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Worthing United Kingdom
    I guess we are all different with different symptoms but I was diagnosed with Menieres nearly twenty years ago and I pretty much have 24/7 dizziness although some days are worse than others, I also regularly have the sensation of falling to ground when sitting. I agree a second opinion would be good though as a lot of other symptoms like sore throat etc are not typical of the condition.

• Like Like x 1