1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Sports Thread

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Bulldogs, Sep 30, 2017.

1. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Bruins update...they are in Stanley Cup Finals

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Who is Stanley, & why is his name on my pencils?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    On a fathomably serious, non-dad joke note, is is not considered strange the amount of sports teams represented by, or named after non-human animals? Considering non-human animals would be terrible at most, if not all human team sports?

It would make more sense for a NHL team to name themselves The Opposable Thumbs, for instance. Or The Bonobos — as at least bonobos have the ability to hold a hockey stick. Sharks & bears on the other hand, not so much.

Why not more adjectives?

Can you imagine how useless a shark—an animal with limbs—would be as a hockey player? How useless a shark would be when placed on an ice rink? It would just flop around, gasp for breath, & suffer a slow, tormenting death.

And then there's the size of a shark's brain. Is the *where ever* Sharks not synonymous to the *where ever* Dumbs?

Please do not misinterpret what I'm saying as criticism towards either animals or sports teams. I'm not disparaging sharks or the team known as the "sharks". I’m Australian. Hockey to me is as foreign as cricket is to an American (or to myself, as an Australian). I know little to nothing about hockey other than hockey players are exceptionally talented & tough athletes. Moreover, sharks are one of my favourite animals, however known for their intelligence they aren’t.

Should a team not be represented by something at least a little bit intelligent? Why not the *where ever* Orcas, for instance? Unlike sharks, or most sharks, at least killer whales know how to work as a team, & they're much more intelligent than sharks. Orcas are known to eat sharks too (great whites included), so there's that.

I can not recall ever reading about a shark eating an adult Orca. A killer whale calf, or perhaps a wounded or sick adult is perhaps inevitable, but a healthy adult? I don't think so.

How impressive would a dolphin be at NFL?

Non-team sports are another matter entirely. Consider Brock Lesnar or Martyn Ford attempting to grapple or high kick a brown bear, tiger, or silverback gorilla in the UFC (that I would like to see). Our fastest sprinters running against a cheetah?

If a kangaroo were to enter the long jump. If a whale were to enter free diving *chuckles… Never mind fish. If a monkey were to practice the rings.

Now that I think about it, the Los Angeles Angels translates to "the angels angels". If one were to say "the Los Angeles Angels" this would translate to "the the angles angels".

The Sydney Swans. A swan would be terrible at AFL. Why a swan?

What is it about a swan that represents that which you would like in an AFL team? Surely it’s not the connotations of purity, delicacy, & innocence?

The Sydney Swarms sounds much better.

Do the actions observed in an AFL team at all resemble the actions of swans? I don't think so.

We're a weird bunch, that's for certain.

• Like Like x 2
  4. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Love your Post Nathan!

5. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Redwing
    I think your Bruins are going to walk all over whoever wins Sharks vs Avalanches! I think you’re going to win the cup. But I do love my Sharks.

6. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Nathan
    Btw the Vancouver Canucks logo is an Orca. Thought that might please you.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Whee!

8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Oops not Avalanches- Blues are playing Sharks! I blame my brain fog

9. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Well, now the Sharks are crying the blues

10. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Oh Toronto Raptors! One lousy point.

I’m cheering for the Blues tonight, as they’ve never won a Stanley Cup before. Hubby is cheering for Bruins - I guess maybe he wants something to stay the same and stable, since his wifey is, well, not.

11. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    AnneT I am so sad you are going with the Blues tonight!! I understand your reasoning. I can only hope you are singing the Blues after the game

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    And not me

13. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Redwing
    Whichever team wins... we fans are winning some excellent hockey viewing!

14. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    AnneT I am crying the Blues this morning... Congratulations to the Blues they clearly deserved the win.

15. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’m pleased that their 52 dry spell is over! But all these teams in the last few rounds have been so good... it may have come down to injuries and goalies in the end.

My parents were also having marital squabble over cheering for different teams! Ha!

16. Raider Nation

Raider Nation New Member

Aug 2, 2019
    training camp just starts And the drama has already started with my Raiders. Which causes my head to spin more, my disease or this freaking team I love?

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    My NE Patriots have just been squeaking through with wins the last two weeks and still have a tough schedule in front of them. How's your team doing? I think every team needs to beware of the Ravens!

18. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Georgia Bulldogs and LSU Tigers today!!! Should be a good one.