1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Started acyclovir with JOH regimen - Need help

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Jimbo, Apr 25, 2022.

1. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Mar 20, 2022
    I have had cochlear hydrops for over a year now that manifests itself in low frequency hearing loss in my right ear, aural fullness and tinnitus in both ears. My ENT has taken all the proscribed steps in my treatment, low salt/ no alcohol, diuretic (no effect), betahistine (no effect), prednisone (no effect), steroid ear injections (no effect). I discovered the forum about a month ago. After getting some advice (thanks Kevin) and doing more research here in the forum, I found a lot of positive support for the JOH regimen and antivirals. 3 weeks ago I started with lysine (1 gram 3/day) and the next week added lemon bioflavonoids (700 mg 1/day). My doctor prescribed the acyclovir dosage recommended by Dr Gacek (800 mg 3/day) for three weeks and I started those a week ago. He is skeptical but willing to do a 3 week trial.

For the first week after beginning the lysine I felt pretty good, somehow better than I had for some months, but then just before beginning the lemon bioflavonoids and acyclovir the aural fullness got noticeably worse along with some nausea and dizziness. It has continued to today and I am getting concerned it won’t abate. I have not started the vinpocetine because of these factors. I read that some people may go through bad stages with this treatment and it’s best to stay the course, but at the same time JOH does say in his regimen that if you have bad side effects to discontinue the supplement that causes them. My quandry is this: How long does this go on for? Do I discontinue any of the medications? Do I forge ahead with these 3 (Lysine, Lemon bioflavonoids and Acyclovir)? Do I add Vinpocetine? I also have extract of olive leaf in the on-deck circle.

Please tell me your experiences with antivirals and/or JOH. I am hopeful these regimens will reduce my aural fullness and prevent further deterioration of my hearing. I go back to my ENT in 2 weeks to assess any changes and hopefully renew my acyclovir prescription. Thanks for your support.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    It's a long, long road Jimbo. Buckle up. ;)

I would add all the pills now, why wait? It's like the stock market, the long term trend is up, but the peaks and valleys can make you lose faith. The pills are not harmful and quite likely helpful, so go for it.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Jimbo....stay the course, it can be a long road. My thoughts are 3 weeks of acyclovir is too short of a time period to make a good decision. TELL your Doctor you want to do antivirals for at least 3 months before deciding if they work for you.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Hang in! Sometimes it gets worse before it gets better. That’s usually a sign that all is working and the virus is battling hard against it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    If you have not done so, be sure to read about John's plan in the database.

6. arcticblueice

arcticblueice Member

Aug 12, 2018
    I have been using the JOH regimen for around 5 years and it works well for me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    This is another case where the regimen (primarily the lysine in it) has actually caused symptoms to increase, not decrease. When this happens, in almost all cases, it indicates that the lysine is actually affecting the virus, which for a time responds with increased vitality (greater replication of the virus, which increases inflammation in the inner ear). Where people have persisted, the lysine eventually gains the upper hand and symptoms begin to subside; the virus becomes weakened and abates its activity.

This phenomenon also happens with prescription antiherpetic drugs, where there is often initial success (reduction in symptoms) followed by more severe symptoms. But the agents, either the prescription drugs, or the lysine, eventually gain the upper hand and the viral activity in the inner ear abates.

Best wishes in all of this.

--John of Ohio

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Roxy Barnes Mackey

Roxy Barnes Mackey New Member

Apr 11, 2022
    Do you need to stay on the acyclovir after you have Benn on your protocol?
    I was put on acyclovir 3xday for three weeks and now continue 1000mg everyday x4 yrs.
    With barometer changes both high and low I am having frequent vomiting (2hr) followed. By vertigo (16 hr).

9. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    I can't render any advice on how long one should stay on any of the prescription antiherpetic drugs; I have no expertise with them, just know that they, too, suppress herpes virus activity. There is no reason that viral activity can't be suppressed with both my regimen (primarily, the lysine), along with a prescription antiherpetic, such as acyclovir. They don't conflict with each other; most likely can mutually support herpes suppression.

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  10. Roxy Barnes Mackey

Roxy Barnes Mackey New Member

Apr 11, 2022
    Thank you so much

11. Jimbo

Jimbo New Member

Mar 20, 2022
    So good to get all your input. I know I need to take the antivirals and JOH regimen for 6 months to have a good idea of their efficacy. I'm going to continue the regimen because it is pretty much my only hope. What I am struggling with is the intense ear pressure that started about 10 days into the treatment and has now gone on for the past 2 weeks. From your experiences how long does this adverse phase last? Any anecdotal history would be very helpful. Thanks.

12. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Personally, I never encountered the increased symptoms after being on lysine (and the rest of the regimen). For me, symptoms slowly abated over several months. For others, it seems that increased symptoms can proceed for a varying period, in the range of a few weeks on out to several months. But it appears that almost all who persist with the lysine eventually gain suppression with it.

--John of Ohio

13. ronven

ronven New Member

Oct 19, 2021
    John ,
    You helped me a great deal back n 2019 and I’m grateful. I stayed on your regimen for 6 weeks and it finally went into remission . It has been over3 years and it has come back like a lion again.
    I did discontinue all supplements plus valtrex after I got better in 2019.

A few questions:
    I assume that was wrong to discontinue all ?
    If so , what do you recommend the standard regimen should be to keep the virus into remission ?
    I’ve been on the regimen since April 5 so almost a month. Should I expect the same time frame or more lengthy this time around? I am getting much worse so maybe a good sign?

My tinnitus is off the charts and I’m dizzy ( no vertigo ) almost 24/7. The ringing is almost maddening ,, is that common ?
    I can’t talk to people one on one where my eyes are fixated otherwise it makes my symptoms 10x worse ,, did you experience this ?
    I feel helpless again so my hope is your regimen will help me once more .
    Thank you so much Again and sorry for all the questions . Just really feeling down and very depressed as I thought this had passed .
    Ron

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  14. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    My only recommendation would be to get back on the regimen. It worked before, so it should be resumed, to see if it, again, can suppress Meniere's symptoms. If you have valtrex, take it, too. Favorable results may take some time. If and when symptoms are suppressed, the lysine can be an on-going therapy to hold things in check.

--John of Ohio

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. ronven

ronven New Member

Oct 19, 2021
    John,
    in your experience with others, the suppression take months not a year correct?
    Also, what is the post lysine dosage and should other supplements in the regimen remain in place.
    I stopped everything once I recovered so that's why I'm asking. I am taking valtrex again ( 1 month now)but is this something that should continue afterwards? I just never want to go thru this again...it's horrible.
    Thanks for your help.
    Ron

16. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    I suggest that the lysine should be 3000mg a day. Probably best to take it in two 1500mg doses, one in the morning, the other in the evening (working around meals, of course --- take at least 20min before food, or 2hrs after a meal). Or, 1000mg and 2000mg. The supplements can be taken at the indicated doses in the regimen.

If you haven't, also start taking 5000IU of vitamin D-3 each day. Inexpensive. Supports the immune system, allowing it to help suppress viruses. But vitamin D-3 needs a co-factor, magnesium, to work well. I take both the vitamin D-3 and a 400mg tablet of magnesium glycinate each day. There are several magnesium supplements. Magnesium glycinate is one of the best-absorbed ones. Magnesium oxide remains as a mineral, is poorly absorbed.

It can take from several weeks to several months for everything to start working again. Persist.

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  17. ronven

ronven New Member

Oct 19, 2021
    John,
    I guess it’s accepting you have to take a lot of pills for the rest of your life which is fine not to feel like this again
    I take the following now :
    Lysine -yours
    B6- for hearing (Benny Hill)
    B5 -for hearing (Benny Hill )
    Bioflavonoid-yours
    D3- yours
    Vinpocetine- yours
    Ginkgo bilboa- I think yours ?
    Valrex 2500 / day- yours
    but will eventually stop once in remission
    Will add Magnesium as well
    Also added nature sound app to listen to keep my sanity
    Sound right to you or anything I can eliminate ?
    It’s been maddening the past week
    So my apologies for asking so much
    Thank you again ,
    Ron

18. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Well, for the last ten years or so I've taken only the vitamin D and magnesium (plus a strong multivitamin with high-level B vitamins). I stayed on the regimen for four or five years, with continuing relief, before I slowly started to taper off. Stopped vinpocetine. Then, the bioflavonoid. Then, gingko. Finally, terminated the lysine.

If I'd ever detect any reoccurrence of any of the symptoms, I'd get right back on the regimen. But, fortunately, that's never happened; probably because of the support of the immune system with the vitamin D and the magnesium glycinate. I've never had a cold or flu during that whole period, either. My immune system is strong; suppresses viruses.

(I've always wondered about the vitamin D levels in those of us who had or have Meniere's. I'm betting that it would be detected as low, less than 40 ng/ml. Actually, I ingest 7000IU of vitamin D-3 each day; 5000IU from a supplemental softgel, added to the 2000IU in my daily multivitamin. Blood tests show I have about 60 ng/ml, which provides ample support for my immune system.)

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  19. ronven

ronven New Member

Oct 19, 2021
    John,
    Almost 2 months on your regimen for this second go around. I actually thought I was coming out of it last week. Had 7 days of reduced symptoms, even went to FL for my daughter's engagement. Do you know the minute I stepped in the airport to come home, all the symptoms returned . I am so bummed because I thought this was over. Is this possible to get relief and it comes back stronger ? I'm so confused and down but will persist. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

20. ronven

ronven New Member

Oct 19, 2021
    John,
    Almost 2 months on your regimen for this second go around. I actually thought I was coming out of it last week. Had 7 days of reduced symptoms, even went to FL for my daughter's engagement....never thought i could make the trip. Do you know the minute I stepped in the airport to come home, all the symptoms returned....the flight home was torture on my ears . I am so bummed because I thought this was over. Is this possible to get relief and it comes back even stronger after 2 months on the regimen ? I'm so confused and down but will persist. Any input would be greatly appreciated.