1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Subsitutions/Eliminations in JOH

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Patricia Idaho, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Patricia Idaho

Patricia Idaho New Member

Nov 23, 2021
    I have had Meniere's for about 50 years and am now about 70 years old. I've had a lot of remissions in my lifetime. My right ear has been gone for many years. At the beginning of 2017 the disease started attacking the hearing in my left ear, and I got a hearing aid for that ear. When my ears are bad (lowered volume and distortion) I have a hard time functioning even with my hearing aid because of the distortion. I had to give up playing the clarinet because of the pitch distortion. I've had a good 18 months, but now I am again having a spell which started with dizziness. For years I have taken daily doses of betahistine dihydrochloride (compounded) and a diuretic. I have ordered most of the JOH regimen and am wondering if I should continue the two medications I already take along with the JOH regimen of pills. The betahistine is expensive; could I substitute some of the new pills for the betahistine? I take a thyroid pill. Can I take that pill along with the L-Lysine? Also, I have never had a cold sore. Is it still possible for me to have a herpes virus in my system? Another random comment: Taking Prednisone has always been a waste of time.

2. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Betahistine is at best a placebo

3. JonBubo

JonBubo Active Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Hi Patricia. I have a thyroid condition and my Dr. recommended to me that I take that first in the morning around nothing else but water and wait 30- 45 minutes before taking any other pill.

Betahistine has worked for many patients but is not necessary if you are starting treating holistically and more aggressively. many lean on one pill too much. the boost you get is from dilation of the capillaries to increase blood flow. JOH i think recommends a few things that can sub for that .
    Just to make yourself feel safer with symptoms, maybe discontinue a week or two after you have started the above mentioned? i would definitely wean off the diuretic over time (cheap as they are) for sure and maybe take dandelion natural for awhile.
    when you say medications...do you have a script for acyclovir? that i would do with a chunk of JOH. (i never got any relief from the flavonoids) the real punch to JOH is the antiviral component but the beta glucans are also good refiners.
    most people (I have read in studies over 90%) have herpes. but, the pills work as well for chicken, pox shingles and Epstein Barr although not near as much as monolaurin and olive leaf.
    cheers.

4. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Patricia, you've had quite the long battle with this beast and you serve as an inspiration to all of us to continue to persevere.

I have bounced back and forth on treatments but the most effective cocktail for me seems to be: Valacylovir (1000mg twice per day), Complex Vitamin C (2000mg twice per day), Diuretic, Vitamin E (650mg twice per day), Vitamin D3 (2000iu twice per day), L-Lyzine (1000mg before bed, 1000mg immediately in morning). Looking at JonBubo's post above I may add the Beta Glucans in. I'm 62 and I get regular blood work and have had no issues.

If you start the Valacylovir treatment I recommend 3000mg per day in the beginning. You may want to try a cleansing diet (Whole30 is a good one) in which you may, if you follow the plan strictly, identify specific foods that may be contributing to your symptoms.

God bless you in keeping up the good fight.

5. Patricia Idaho

Nov 23, 2021
    I've never known if the betahistine helped. Thanks.
    I really would like to get off my diuretic, but I'm scared to. It seems like if I don't take it my hears clog up. However, my kidney numbers are not looking very good right now, and I'm supposed to be drinking more water to see if I can correct this. Thanks for your input.

6. Patricia Idaho

Nov 23, 2021
    I do have an appointment with my doctor in January. In the meantime, I will start the regimen. The pills have arrived and I took my first lysine this morning. Thanks so much.

7. JonBubo

JonBubo Active Member

Apr 11, 2019
    I get the uncertainty. I was where you are now with fear and understanding of treatment.

But you need to look at it scientifically not from emotion or fear of disagreeing with your Dr.
    Lets break it down....
    Why ever would a diuretic (pharma) do you any good?

Is there something magical in it?
    NO.
    The ONLY thing it might help you with is getting you to pee out toxins, salts etc.

You can do that FAR more effectively, WITHOUT screwing up your liver/ kidneys with just a natural diuretic and or water.
    AND... dandelion has MANY wonderful properties such as anti cancer, antipathogenic and also contains traces of minerals (magnesium) and is much more friendly to your body than the pharma.

It should scare you that going off the pharma immediately does harm to you. and yet it does. Let that sink in.

Worse...if you stay on it - you deplete your body of everything a Meniere's patient desperately needs (magnesium, calcium, potassium balance)
    The list of side effects are scary. It includes depression, palsy, muscle tightening, soreness. higher risk of cancer etc. etc.) Did your DR. also put you on potassium to compensate for depletion? NO. not 95% of the time. thats criminal.

You need to wean (not go off sharply) yourself off that hideous pill and gently transfer to a non harmful diuretic.

When one is in certain stages of Meniere's...(onset and flare up) things like this matter a little but NOT in the pharma form...ever.
    Once treated, and on to better reality, you don't need diuretics at all!
    A healthy supply of clean water throughout the day suffices.

8. Patricia Idaho

Nov 23, 2021
    THANK YOU!