1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Suicide and Ménière’s

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Brian, Aug 3, 2021.

1. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    A/V's have helped my tinnitus although never completely removing it. One note: all generic A/V's are not created equal. The manufacturer only has to perform to 80% efficacy and prove it once. After they prove it they can always change their formula. I seem to only have relief with A/V's (valacyclovir) manufactured by North Star.

Good luck.

2. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    This disease and I have lived together for more than thirty years. I have had tinnitus for much longer than that.Careers and finances have been wiped out and I am thankful for each day. What a gift it is to be alive. You said that MM has ruined your life. No. It has hurt you and damaged your life. You still have choices and decisions to embrace.

3. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Back in 1999 I think it was, a forum member killed himself. I do not know of others on the forum who have done this.

4. Tim Spetzman

Tim Spetzman New Member

Feb 17, 2022
    Minnesota
    I find white noise to help mask the ringing. I use fans in my bedroom. There are white noise apps for phones.
    Many hearing aids have a tinnitus masking feature that can generate many different forms of white noise.

I pray this gives you some relief!!!

5. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    There is certainly a solution that will give you life back. I am living a completely normal life, eating what I want, going where I want, drinking caffeine anytime I want without fear of vertigo. I am doing this after 8 rough years with Menieres and trying antivirals, prednisone, low salt,JOH and everything else I could get my hands on.

Ultimately it was a labryinthectomy that gave my life back. I wish I would of skipped the pills, potions and diets and went straight for the labryinthectomy. It would of saved me suffering and heart ache.

There is a solution for those that want it.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  6. tek465b

tek465b Member

Feb 27, 2022
    i have meniere for over 13 years now, i take heroin daily(i do have intense back pain problem with extreme pain that make me feel like throwing up and losing consciousness/faintness). and still cant bear it(the meniere symptoms).
    I dont have disability, i dont have ENT because they treated me like shit.
    My dad is the only one helping but he has COPD and now getting tested for cancer, so i'll be left to myself in a few year at most.

7. tek465b

tek465b Member

Feb 27, 2022
    I tryed anti depressant and they dont work with me, the only thing that keep me on this earth is the dope.

8. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I think about it every day - 10 times a day. Not sure if I have the balls. I think if my symptoms continue to worsen- maybe some day. I no longer feel as if I am living - just existing. I don't want to just exist. I want to listen to music, hear birds, travel and join in on a conversation instead of sitting in a corner by myself. For that matter totally deaf with no tinnitus would be better. Back to thinking about it again.

9. DL Bach

DL Bach Member

May 18, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    At this very moment, I am thinking that I need to die and thereby relieve the world of the burden I am. The world would be so much better off without me.

10. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I feel the same way most days- one of the things that keeps me from doing it is I am afraid of going to hell - even though I think I am already there.

11. DL Bach

DL Bach Member

May 18, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I hear you, YellowBoy. I haven't ended me because I am too much of a coward. I hate pain and can't bring myself to cause more for me. I think those of us living with this beast are going through our own personal hell.

12. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Deb I keep hoping there will be a cure or treatment for this but I am 70 and I doubt I have enough time left. Hopefully you are younger and do. Hang in there.

13. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    Have you been screened for depression? Killing oneself because of tinnitus seems extreme to me. It has bugged me for decades but as far as symptoms it is the lease hurtful. I wish it would go away and leave me in peace but the other symptoms affect me more grievously.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Why extreme ? Noise/sound/music had been used to torture people by many countries including the CIA. The CIA has used loud music to torture people, as recently as Guantanamo Bay . I would love to listen to UNDISTORTED music at any level now. The only thing worse that what I listen too everyday is if I had to listen to Barry Manilow music in addition to my tinnitus.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. tek465b

tek465b Member

Feb 27, 2022
    its not just tinnitus, the ear presure, the head fullness, the head spinning/vertigo.

16. tek465b

tek465b Member

Feb 27, 2022
    and also the deafness.

17. Mike B

Mike B Member

May 26, 2017
    Meniere's sucks, but is it really so bad that it makes me consider
    giving up my life? Oh Hell no.

If you want true misery, try spending a year with my third wife...:cool:

Quick background: Had symptoms of Meniere's starting when I was a teen,
    then as I got older the hearing and balance got worse. Finally got diagnosed
    in '05 after a series of extended vertigo attacks. Laby right ear in Jan. '09,
    then went bi-lateral back about 2011. I'm 62 now, and the tinnitus is still
    roaring..like waves crashing to accompany a single hi-note symphony..and in
    both ears.

Has my life changed as a result of Meniere's? Absolutely..had to make many
    adjustments. Had to close my business in 2011, survive a bankruptcy, and
    then retired with full SSI Disability.

Still, life is better than "not life". When I start to feel sorry for myself I just
    think about all those people with diseases much, much worse than ours. I think
    about people like Stephen Hawking, who had ALS, (aka: Lou Gehrig's disease),
    and the struggles they have to go through everyday just to stay alive. Meniere's
    can be cyclical, or episodic...what they live with is always present.

That's not to say that Meniere's doesn't suck, it does, but all we can really do is
    adjust, and move forward. When the bad times come, just remember that they
    will pass at some point, and keep your eyes on when that comes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    I just returned from my morning walk. I saw turkeys and budding trees and the little stream across the street. My dear dog is now curled beside me. My coffee is delicious. The tinnitus is raging but it always is. Last night I wished it would go away so I could hear the silence of the darkness, but that is never to be. Music? I wish I could listen to it and I feel pain because I cannot. But I have so many other things in my life that are right in from of me every moment. Those are gifts to me and I am thankful for all of them whatever they might be. So yes, "extreme" is my experience. Do not think I am putting you down. I am writing of and for myself only.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. Richard Friend

Richard Friend New Member

May 29, 2023
    I made an account just to provide some comfort and sympathy. I’m 33 and have had 24/7 365 pulsing tinnitus for 3 years. I’ve learned to accept it rather than suffer until a cure is made.
    I recently have been having a stuffy head and head pains all in the right side of my head.

I don’t actually have enough money for health care so I’m one of the unlucky ones out there that goes day by day suffering while no one notices.
    I’m also a very depressed and suicidal person,
    so while I say this I noticed on another forum a gentlemen named Brian has died last year and is it the same Brian who started this thread??

The tinnitus form also stated he suffered from tinnitus and Ménière so it made me think of it was him.

i also noticed Brian never posted again on this thread. Does anyone know if it was him?
    I’m also new here (just made an account).

how’s it going?

20. tek465b

tek465b Member

Feb 27, 2022
    I think we can assume its the same person.
    Wow that is very sad. Thanks for letting us know.