1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Surfing / Water in ears affect Meniere's?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by nnowakow, May 18, 2014.

1. nnowakow

nnowakow New Member

May 18, 2014
    Hello -

I'm 42 and have had Meniere's disease for almost ten years now. For the first five years, after going on a supplement regime, I went into complete remission. Then my family and I moved to Costa Rica to run a surf school. While there, I stopped taking supplements religiously, developed GI issues from heat, developed gluten sensitivity, and of course all this led to flare ups. We have since left Costa Rica and moved to New Zealand. I am much better now but still get ringing in the ears, and whenever I get stressed, pressure builds in my nose and ears, which leads to some wobbleness.

One other thing I noticed is that since i moved to Costa Rica and to New Zealand, I've been surfing a fair amount and without ear plugs. I remember someone once told me that it was important to keep water out of the ears if you suffer from Meniere's. So, I wonder if this would have contributed, especially the cold water in New Zealand. Could that be an issue? Do any of you wear ear plugs in the shower as well?

Thanks and appreciate any feedback. Also, I was born profoundly deaf and what you call a meningitis baby - so assume my meneieres is from that.

2. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Surfing school/shop in Costa Rica? that is my dream.

Do you use a cochlear implant.

Bulldogs

3. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I use earplugs in the shower, on the beach as wind in my ears makes my symptoms worse. Sometimes even at the mall or grocery store. Anywhere where a lot of noise is there and it makes it hard to concentrate on what you want to hear. If the supplements helped, why not go back on them?