1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

The Cure for Menieres Attacks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bennyhill, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Janny

Janny New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    Sara thank you for responding. I have been taking the B's, and magnesium as well. I am not getting the full dizzies now after 2 weeks of this and can even move my eyes without motion sickness. But I am still getting some fullness, ear ache and the swishy, living on the boat feeling which is hard to deal with I am presuming that this is fluid in the ear and I am trying dandelion tea as a diacritic. I have also added cbd oil as recommended here to help settle my anxiety to do with all of this and it is helping as well. I did have 2 chiropractic treatments but am finding it hard to get to more but as you, I feel they would certainly help. This seems a long ongoing process but as I am seeing a tiny bit of improvement I feel hopeful. I will keep at it...Janny

2. Chris

Chris Member

Mar 20, 2016
    My doctor asked me...Are you spinning or is the room spinning? If you are spinning, it is vertigo. If the room is spinning, it is dizziness.

• Like Like x 1
  3. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Mmm sorry I gotta disagree here. Is retired family doctor.

Dizziness is a general term that can include lightheadedness, feeling faint, vertigo, etc.

Any sense of actual rotational spinny would count as vertigo.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Clare

Clare Active Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Yeah, your doctor has obviously not experienced vertigo and dizziness. As AnneT says, rotational spinning is vertigo. The other stuff is dizziness. You know the difference when you've been there.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Just as there are different types of vertigo (horizonal, vertical, left to right, vice versa, top to bottom, vice versa) there are also different types of dizziness - or maybe its just different degrees of dizziness. I'm not sure but I had the vertigo for the first 25 years with the disease and the last 5 has been dizziness. I think it is mostly in how the eyes are responding to head movements with the dizziness whereas, for me, the vertigo was 99% left to right horizonal. Dizziness just comes at me from different angles. Vertigo was worse but it was predictable. Dizziness has a number of sensations for me.

6. Janny

Janny New Member

Dec 2, 2019
    It was 3 to 4 months? Okay then I have only been on the B's for 2 weeks so I may have a ways to go. I still have the fullness and the swishy on the boat feeling. My head feels full of fluid and the back of my neck tight. I was hoping by Christmas to feel normal again but this looks like I am in for the long haul.

7. Chris Bryant

Chris Bryant New Member

Nov 5, 2019
    I have been in the b’s and magnesium for over a month now. During that time, I’ve also been on a diuretic and started with a chiropractor once a week. I’m not sure what’s doing what, but the fullness has left my ear and I haven’t had a major vertigo spell or really any dizziness in the whole month. I wish I could determine what’s working as I’d really like to come off the diuretic, but currently really happy to have some normality back!! I still occasionally start to feel the onset, normally after I’ve been a bit off with my diet (now noting bread products seem to have some effect?) but it never properly comes to anything.

8. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Failing to find Vitamin B5 and B6 separately Would it be worth buying a Vitamin B complex? (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B7, B9 and B12)

• Like Like x 1
  9. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Yes, a B-complex product will work; may be even better, inasmuch as the B vitamins may work best in conjunction with each other; all of them, not just B5 and B6.

Check the concentrations on the label. If only at 100% RDA (standard or recommended daily amount), look for another product. Increased levels likely to work best.

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 2
  10. Daniel.E

Daniel.E New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Menieres is caused by a vitamin B6 deficiency.

Really? How do you know? None of the ENTs trying to help me cope this debilitating disease had any knowledge about this information. Was there ever a study about this? You seem to be pretty sure about this, are you a doctor?

11. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Hi John! Thanks for answering.

Do you recommend taking them along with your regimen or after a few months? I have also added monolaurin, although I will take each ingredient week by week to rule out what could hurt me of course.

12. Lacebug

Lacebug New Member

May 1, 2020
    Annandale NSW
    BennyHill, what brand do you use? I am having trouble finding them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Take the B vitamins with the regimen. No conflict; no reason to wait.
    --John of Ohio

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    Do you need to take the b vitamins at the same time? Or can I start one?

15. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    B5 and B6 yes. But you should buy a high dosage of vitamine B complex (one capsule per day)

16. Joseph

Joseph New Member

Aug 30, 2020
    I am starting the B6/B5 protocol today (Male, 45 years old).

Hello, here is some background story: 4 years ago, I had an ear infection in my left year. It was so bad that it caused vertigo and knocked me out for 3 weeks... After that, Meniere settled in with some hearing loss and tinnitus. MRI tests confirmed the hydrops and changes in the inner year typical of the disease.

I have been taking Betahistine (24mg twice a day) ever since. Despite the faint ringing, I never had vertigo again until 3 weeks ago when I run out of Betahistine. It is not easy to get it in the US, and the pandemic made it difficult to have it shipped from overseas. I had 3 terrible mornings with bad vertigo last week... Ringing in my ear is pretty bad now too... I have the impression it is moving to my right ear too... Then I found this forum and the report by Bennyhill, and it gave me hope. I have been reading almost every thread and decided to start on the B6/B5 protocol. Following the suggestion of JOH, I bought a B vitamin complex with 100mg of B6 and 100mg of B5. I started today and will report on the results within a week.

Any suggestions or ideas are truly appreciated.

Here is the complex I am using:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Joseph

Joseph New Member

Aug 30, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Ledwards

Ledwards Member

Jun 7, 2020
    How were you able to get the betahistine? The b 100 complex has seemed to help me. I have also added magnesium with b6 that others have talked about. Look for NAC in the search and see what people have posted about that and that also sounds like something worth trying. I don’t know how to reference a thread on here. I have ordered that also. But I’ve still been feeling the floaty head with certain movements. Hope the B’s help you!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joseph

Joseph New Member

Aug 30, 2020
    Hi Ledwards,

I go to Brazil several times a year, so I just bought Betahistine there. However, I just found out that you can get in the USA at compound pharmacies, but you need a doctor that will prescribe it. Call the compound pharmacy in your area and ask if they can give you the name of a doctor that would prescribe it. Some of them even do telemedicine. I have an appointment in 2 weeks, but I am praying the B6/B6 protocol will be a game-changer (2nd day today). Betahistine helped me live for 4 years without a single day of vertigo. Just a faint tinnitus sound.

• Like Like x 1
  20. eveva

eveva Member

Jul 30, 2020
    John, sorry maybe the quote is not related to my questions, but I have three questions for you:
    1. What is special about 6th week? I started your regiment 6 weeks ago. Had a good progress. And now on 6th week of treatment I am having dizziness every day, first part of the day
    3. My recent blood work did show HSV-1 and HSV-2 positive. Is it good to start AV med while having more often dizziness? And which one? Valtrex or it's generic form, Acyclovir, Famvir, or Betahistine? My doc can prescribe any one I choose. Because AV treatment (controlling virus) is a long term, should I first try B5/B6 and if it's not helping than start AV pills?
    Very thankful for your help and dedication to our needs. Best, eveva

• Like Like x 1