1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

The weird thing about you.

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Pupper, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Unusual stuff about you.

I have to be in a big room when donning or doffing clothes. I can't stand doing it in a closet. Even a walk-in closet. I have do it in the vanity area or bedroom. I just feel the need to splay. This is a problem because my clothes end up everywhere, except where they should be, in the closet.

I like to have a bunched up white napkin or Kleenex (unused) in my hand. It makes me feel secure. I look like a little old lady when I do it so I'm trying to stop.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    My mom does the tissue thing, Pup. She’s had debilitating allergies for as long as I can remember so there’s good reason.

Weird thing about me? I’ve found that I randomly make up funny, off color sentences that I sing, usually to my kids. It’s like stream of consciousness balladry.

3. That’s hysterical! I’d love to be a fly on the wall when you blurt out those sentences.

I don’t know if this is weird or not...my socks NEVER match. Ever. I didn’t realize I have this tendency until my husband gave me a container of socks, “no two alike,” as a gag gift/I needed new socks.

4. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    That's just weird. I mean, how can you stand the different feeling on your feet? OMG I'm having an OCD moment via the web.

5. What?! You mean we’re not in a judgment-free zone? Excuse me while I retreat to my safe, happy, judgement-free space. ;)

Well, here’s my thinking process with socks: 1)I buy socks I find visually pleasing and texturally comfortable. 2)If all of my socks possess these attributes, then why should it matter which sock makes it on what foot and when? 3)Since my husband pointed it out to me, the bigger issue occurs, that if someone(besides him, friend, or family) notices...WHAT are THEY doing looking that closely at my feet?! AMIRIGHT?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I wear mismatched socks all the time. Mostly because my dog chews socks and I am too frugal to ditch a good one. I don’t care what people think so if they notice my fashion statement and don’t approve...sucks to be them.

7. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Edited to add:

You spelled judgment corecctly! Kudos.

Where does one purchas a bucket of socks labeled No Two Alike? I want one.

Yes, Autumn, you’re right!

8. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Mind=Blown. There are more than one of you that wear mismatched socks ON PURPOSE??? ??? ??? :p

9. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I'm uncomfortable around women in bikinis. It's like they're in their underwear.

10. I never thought about it, but now that you mention it, that is why I don’t throw away the good sock. Mel, I’m stealing that one. Isn’t that like saying, “the dog ate my homework?” LOL

I went to a church camp once as a child. Girls had to cover up bikinis to keep boys from having sinful thoughts. I totally solved the problem. I just didn’t wear my bikini, and jumped in naked.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    *laughs

12. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    “Stephen Potter, in one of his splendid “lifemanship” series of books, recommends odd socks as a woomanship ploy to arouse the maternal instincts (“Buy our patent Oddsox brand”). But there’s a much better reason to wear odd socks.

How many hours have been taken out of your life in quest of a matching sock? How many perfectly good socks have you wastefully thrown away simply because the matching sock is lost, or has a hole in it? Shoes and gloves, like proteins and many other molecules, have chirality: there’s a left one and a right one and you can’t rotate either to make the other. Hands are chiral, so are feet. But (with rare exceptions) socks are not. Socks fit feet more approximately than shoes, and any sock will fit the left or right foot equally well. So, unlike shoes, there’s no obvious reason why you have to buy socks in pairs. Theoretically you could buy a dozen identical socks and choose any two of them at random each day. If you lose one, no matter, you now have eleven from which to choose. But alas, as far as I know, socks are only ever sold in pairs. And that’s ridiculous.

My solution is to abandon the attempt to match socks altogether. Wear odd socks deliberately, the more different the better. Brazen it out. Wear one red and one blue sock, as I am today. Or one yellow and one green. I wouldn’t go so far as to wear odd shoes. I don’t think the fashion would catch on, and anyway it would be bad for the gait, might make you limp. But socks are another matter. Be bold. Make a fashion statement of odd socks. Fight the tyranny of the matching socks. Sock it to conformity. Be an individualist, not a slavish sock puppet. Matching socks suck.”

~ Richard Dawkins ~

13. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    ^SMH.... You win!

14. Does this mean you’ll attempt to get over your Heebie geebies, or still OCDing? Question, how would you feel if I told you my clothes never match? ROFL

Mel, I think it’s a place called little mismatch or similar. Spoiler Alert: I like bright, strange, obnoxiously patterned socks.

15. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    This means I will attempt to realize that not only do such people exist, but it’s also OK and I can still OCD over my own socks. Symbiosis.

16. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I rarely wash my face. Maybe once a month. The thing is, I can't find a reason to. Not washing my face doesn't cause me to break out or look oily. Same with my hair. I hardly ever shampoo. But I look fine. I'm just not an oily kinda guy. A true Renaissance man.

17. Well, they do make those shampoo/soap/body wash concoctions...I've met plenty of men with super short hair, or a shaved head, that only use soap. Please wash your mugg. We don't want mbg having another virtual OCD moment. :)

18. tdoak

tdoak Member

Feb 13, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    I have short/ buzzed hair and only use hand soap. I have done a his for years. What is this shampoo thing you talk about :)

19. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Funny you say that, because Im on the bus with Pup about this. I believe that a lot of the cosmetics, soaps and shampoos we use are the root of many health issues. With that said, I do wash my face, but only with water. I find that if I do use soap it makes it more oily and broken out.

20. Oh, yeah. They make these for men and women now. Can’t think of any brand specifically, but they’re easy to find. Any Wal-Mart has a selection.

I’m with you, on that mbg. You can find organic versions, however, if you find those appealing.