1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Thoughts? New Sentien Hearing device coming March

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JonBubo, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I'm not trying to be a dick, and I've appreciated your posts in the past on various possible Ménière's treatments… but… my take on this is if you're hard of hearing, this will help with listening to things originating from your phone. The audio has to be stored on the phone or passed through it to get to the headphones. I don't see any evidence that these headphones can be used independently from a phone. So, you'd have to use a phone's microphone to capture audio. I assume that you'd have to buy or subscribe to a third party's hearing aid app (the Sentien app doesn't seem to be a hearing aid app). I tried one of these apps once, and they specifically say not to use a Bluetooth device. I tried a Bluetooth 5 device, and sure enough, there was a delay and an echo effect. There's a reason gamers still use wired keyboards and mice - because of the slight Bluetooth lag. I fear that these headphones are no more of a hearing aid than any other bone conducting headphones.

2. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    Folks, I deleted a few posts where name calling was involved. Remember our rules, it's not allowed. Don't end up getting banned from the forums. Report posts you have an issue with and don't respond with an insult.

Thanks.
    Ray

3. IvanNew

IvanNew Member

Jan 18, 2021
    I had the same doubt and I wrote to them asking if I could use this for face-to-face conversations or if it only served to reproduce sound through bluetooth. The answer was that Sentient helps with conversations and better listening to the user's environment.

Now, I found it very strange that if this is so, it is not clearly put in the ad as one of its greatest virtues. That is why I have not bought it, I do not trust that this really helps to listen to real life better and not just virtual life. I will wait for other users to receive yours and give their opinion, I do not mind paying 70 $ more for then if it really works, but I would hate to have paid 200 $ that does not help me to better listen to my family and friends when we see each other.

However, I do have some hope because in the ad they say that the sentient microphone serves to cancel the background noise ... in this case, if it is canceling the noise around me, it is because it would be transmitting the sound of my surroundings if not it would not make sense.

4. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    My interpretation would be that they mean better environment listening compared to over the ear / in ear headphones. Their Indiegogo page makes no mention of amplified hearing. The "superpower" they describe is being able to listen to your phone while having your ears free to hear your surroundings.

These would actually be nice for work. Since my Ménière's ear went to hell, I always have to take my earpiece out to hear my co-workers since I use it in my good ear. $300 is a little steep for work, though.

5. IvanNew

IvanNew Member

Jan 18, 2021
    In my question I was clear enough that I wanted to know if it helped to listen better or only through bluetooth. They told me that it helped me to hear conversations and my surroundings better. If they lied on the grounds that "I would hear better by not having an earpiece in my ear" then bad publicity would be getting.

Anyway, I also understood it like you and that is why I have not bought it, I prefer that other users comment on their experience first and if it is positive to talk with people face to face, I do not mind paying $ 70 more for one. However, even if it is as you say, it does not make much sense that it has a microphone to capture external sound and cancel it through AI since if it only serves to transmit sound from Bluetooth it would not need to cancel any noise. It is a very poorly explained device in this regard in my opinion.

In any case, thanks to Sentient I have discovered that there are hearing aids that not only improve sonic sound but also use bone conduction to improve perception through both channels. They are very expensive, yes (I think at least $ 3000) and there are already AI to filter the noise as well. So if Sentient is not what I'm looking for, at least now I know that there is something good in case I need it later.

6. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    Once you said that, I did a search and found several bone conduction hearing aid devices that are combo Bluetooth mic/transmitter/headphone. Since the BT transmission is one way, the reviews indicated no lag. However one said that it didn't work well for hearing loss, and the other has no reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/BJ-HH-Conduction-Collectors-Noise-Cancelling/dp/B08XXR3BRV/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=bone+conduction+hearing+aid&qid=1618786710&sr=8-5&th=1

I wouldn't buy the thing that I linked to. However if the Sentien is similar to this device, only with everything built into the headset (i.e. using the mic and having an onboard amp) then it would be interesting. Welp, I think I've speculated enough on an unreleased device. I'll be sure to read any reviews in this thread when it comes out.

7. JonBubo

JonBubo Active Member

Apr 11, 2019
    update from sentien:

"One of the questions we get the most often is "Can I use Sentien Audio as a hearing aid?" You could connect the headset to a hearing aid app, but tbh that just wasn't performing well enough.
    The extra 20-40ms delay caused by the Bluetooth connection was affecting the experience. Our solution? Cut out the delay by creating firmware that puts the hearing aid function directly on Sentien Audio.
    We're now in the middle of testing both the firmware and the function, but we're excited to share this extra step in our progress!"
    to be clear the microphone is on the sentien device. no need for phone to hear through.

• Like Like x 1
  8. IvanNew

IvanNew Member

Jan 18, 2021
    It sounds interesting, but I would like to know your personal experiences once the firmware is updated and you test it.

9. JonBubo

JonBubo Active Member

Apr 11, 2019
    there are several of us on here that will receive the device.
    I will be happy to load my thoughts after that point. best guess end of September delivery and 1-2 weeks for wearing. its not a firm ready date though yet.

cautiously optimistic!
    I was heartened though to hear in their latest release of info that they were not just routing this through the phone and app. theirs will go direct from the Sentien device.

for devices that take sounds from the phone, you would have to, I presume, keep it out of your pocket for better sound quality. or even add a peripheral around the neck microphone to pick up sounds. I walk most days and that would mean i would have more to juggle to hear outside sounds well.

we shall see.

10. JonBubo

JonBubo Active Member

Apr 11, 2019
    new update. due to supply chain issues around the world for parts, shipping date has been moved to end of year per sentien.

11. david2salsero

david2salsero Member

Oct 28, 2017
    San Jose
    Tom, this looks promising but my question is how you can hear better. You’re a still basically Single Sided Deaf. And what about sound localization? As other have mentioned, how does this work in a high noise ambient environment like a restaurant. Without two good and or decent ears sound recognition is next to impossible. That’s why I’m considering a cochlear implant.

12. JonBubo

JonBubo Active Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Feature: you will be able to toggle on or off the hearing assistance feature depending on your environment.
    if you want to listen to music you can turn the outside sounds off or turn back on for conversation mode.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. jose suarez

jose suarez Member

Nov 2, 2020
    How can i get mine?

14. JonBubo

JonBubo Active Member

Apr 11, 2019