1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Tips or tricks to relax?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by IvanA, Sep 30, 2020.

1. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I put it here because stress is not only related to Meniere. My last ENT has told me that he believes that all my symptoms are caused by stress, personally I do not think so. But I lose nothing by trying to learn to be calmer and lead a more chill life.

The problem is that I do not know how to relax and I tend to be nervous, for now I am exercising every other day, I drink linden tea at night and before bed I take magnesium and melatonin. I admit that all this is helping me, especially to sleep better. But I don't quite feel relaxed during the day even though I'm not doing anything, I've tried to meditate, but I can't.

Any advice? I've thought of scented candles, but no idea.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    My most relaxing time is when I am out in nature. I take lots of walks near the lake or ocean. I walk through the woods and hike mountains. I take in the views and the sounds that surround me. If you are unable to take nature walks invest in a good set of headphones and listen to sounds of nature when you are feeling anxious. For me nature softens my mind and opens my heart.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Could you possibly elaborate? By elaborating you'll place me in a better position to help you.

When you say you can't, do you mean you're unable to stop thinking, that you're unable to clear your mind of thought? Do you consider successful meditation to be a period of time in which your mind is free of thought?

4. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    As I read, the objective of meditating is not to stop thinking, but to let the thought flow and if negative thoughts appear, let them pass without paying attention to them. My problem is that I am not able to sit for 5 minutes without doing anything, in fact my main cause of stress is that if I do nothing I feel like I am wasting my time and that stresses me. And I do not mean to take advantage of the time productively working or studying, for me doing nothing stresses me even in my free time because I think that I could use my time reading, playing games, watching a movie, etc.

5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    To zoom out & unpack, the deeper motive of meditation is introspection, the act of observing & understanding the nature of your mind.

A convenient byproduct of introspection isn't the act or ability of ignoring thoughts, but rather the opposite; a skill set that allows you to pay attention to the content of your mind from a nonjudgemental distance. A manner of attention which prevents you from becoming lost in thought, from becoming disoriented by emotions, from becoming an extension of (in your case stress), from identifying with, & becoming the victim of thoughts.

It's not so much what it is & isn't that you pay attention to, but rather how you pay attention to your moment to moment experiences. For example, the first thing to notice about anxiety, or stress, is that it's not all that unpleasant, as the raw sensation of stress & anxiety is so close to that of excitement, that only real difference separating the two is the way in which you frame them.

Meditation is a method of introspection that prevents you from being held hostage by neuroticism & discursive thought. To be aware of your thoughts & emotions as they arise, so to prevent them from creeping up behind you, fastening their strings, & rendering you a nonconsensual puppet.

Ram Dass, if I remember correctly, described this aspect of meditation well when he said "it's not that I've conquered my neuroses; I've become a connoisseur of them".

Hence when you practice, you are in fact doing something, rather than nothing, & the something you're doing is both important & productive. Not only for yourself, but for those you love & for those around you.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I find that reading books helps me to relax. Concentrating on the content of the book helps to divert my mind from other things. It doesn't have to be any particular subject matter--anything I find enjoyable will work. Reading for a few minutes before I go to bed is particularly helpful and helps me to fall asleep faster.

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  7. I totally enjoy my nature walks

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1