1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Top notch Meniere's doctors--

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Brownrecluse, May 1, 2017.

1. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse Member

Jun 5, 2014
    I am a veteran here, but haven't posted in a very long time, maybe years, for two reasons: (1) I had nothing new to contribute and (2) my Meniere's has reached "burn out", meaning not remission, as we all know, but the disease has done its worst, and medical science has done its best to combat it, and I am where I will be for the remainder of my life, saddled with my symptom and left to cope with them as best I can.

While not one of the doctors I will mention here, I have to thank John of Ohio, whose regimen I chose to follow in substantial part many years ago, and still do. I cannot quantify whether it had a substantial impact on my Meniere's, but I know I am unwilling to stop the regimen and see if I get worse. The regimen costs very little, and the potential don't seem worth it to me.

Now to the doctors. I have mentioned Dr. Jennifer Derebery at the House Ear Institute in downtown Los Angeles. They have state of the art testing facilities, and experience with Menieres and Menieres patients second to none. If you have had bad luck getting treatment or results, and can find a way to see here, you will be very glad you did. Here is her web page: https://www.houseclinic.com/derebery

The other doctor I want to mention is Hilary Brodie, in downtown Sacramento, the state capital, in Northern California. He is the chairman of the Otology and Neurotology group in the Otolaryngology Department at the University of California, Davis. He has a superb team assisting him as well. Here is his web page:http://www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/otolaryngology/ourteam/faculty/brodie.html.

Now to a specific issue which made me really appreciate Dr. Brodie. I have a cochlear implant. I also have some newly-arising, very severe, life-threatening health problems for which I need MRI's for diagnostic purposes. Lots of hospitals and imaging centers will not do MRI's on patients with cochlear implants for fear the powerful MRI magnets will rip the magnet in the cochlear implant out of the patient's head. Thanks to the Cochlear people, my wife discovered that there is a head wrap for cochlear patients that prevents that from happening for patients with cochlear implants having a Tesla rating of 1.5 or less (those of you with implants will understand if you look at the card you should have listing the technical elements of your device). Dr. Brodie told me to contact him or his chief resident by phone if I encounter any resistance in connectiion with an upcoming MRI, and any future ones I may need, and he will make sure I get the MRI given I am within the technical guidelines.

I hope this helps someone here. Even if you have less specific issues than me, if you are located where you can get to Sacramento, Dr. Brodie and his staff can assist you in diagnosing and, to the extent possible, treating your Meniere's disease and its symptoms.

To all of those who remember me, stay strong. This disease in its most severe form, as I have it, can do terrible things to your quality of life, and can do a lot of that even in only mild cases. Resolve to soldier on, and make the best of the life you have, even though it isn't the life you either wanted or expected. I try to find something positive, however small, every day. For me, that works.

My best to all of you.

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Thank you for stopping by and sharing that information. Best wishes to you!

3. forevergrateful

forevergrateful Member

Feb 24, 2017
    I am so sorry to hear about your current health issues. Even though you dont visit this site much anymore, you may find support here for whatever you're dealing with now. In any event, I hope you find a treatment plan that counters the life threatening issue. Good luck and God's blessing to you and your family.

4. QueenB

QueenB New Member

Oct 21, 2015
    You mentioned "Burn Out". I guess that is what I have in my bad ear. I was going to the CA Hearing Institute in Palo Alto. However, the doctor I was seeing has left the practice. The new doctor available is not accepting Medicare patients. I did locate an ENT but I don't think she is that familiar with Menieres. She wanted to start me on Predisone, but my primary advised me aganist it. Sacramento is about a 2hr drive.
    Do you think Stanford has a good doctor? I have been using a Meniett for about 5 years. Although I can't distinguish sound anymore I continue to use it for any Vertigo symptoms. My Chiropractor gave me some new exercises yesterday. Today, I am not feeling well. He also wants to do some neck exercises which I am concerned about. I can tolerate the loss of hearing, but would like to see what can be done for it.
    I have been a member of this forum for many years and benefited from the support and information received.
    Sharyn

5. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Sharyn, sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Hopefully you will find some help at Stanford or somewhere close.

I am going to see a chiropractic this week. Can you be more specific on the chiro exercises? I would like to compare to whatever exercises my chiro recommends.