1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Valcyclovir

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BumbleBea, May 20, 2016.

1. moodymom27

moodymom27 Active Member

I'm glad you are starting to feel better, Bea! Great news! Not so great about the rest of it. :(

2. nroper

nroper Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Western Oklahoma
    Bumblebea, congrats on feeling better!

3. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I changed my mind and will post when I think I can help.

4. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Well a major episode today. However, no tinnitus, no nausea or vomiting. It lasted quite a bit longer than the ones I've recently had.
    I don't think that taking an antiviral may be shortening these attacks and making them much fewer than before but this one was horrible and brought my spirit down. If you can't control your stress and anxiety, no kind of treatment is going to help.
    I'm feeling really down too.

5. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I am so sorry. Vertigo is so horrible and hard.

Given the change of symptoms, could it have been vertigo from something other than MM? Perhaps MAV or BPPV?

6. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Thank-you.
    I do not have MAV or BPPV.
    It's Menieres attack being caused by stress. And today I feel really off and doing a lot of side-stepping. I'm waiting to see what the rest of today will bring.

7. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Sat. Family here. I don't know how I did it.
    Today woke up okay and I was saying YAY.
    Took and nap and spins and nauseousness. Vomited and the spins starts. Had help getting into bed in my dark room.
    As soon as I've finished this I'll lay down with my trustworthy black dishcloth and my dogs because now I'm spinning awake.'im making a lot of mistakes typing but I needed to share with people who understand.'my unconventional treatment seems to have stopped the nausea and this spinning isn't too bad unless it's because I've had it so much worse. Took a KLonipin. Just waiting for it to kick in.
    June:
    You were right when you said two steps forward, one step back, but this feels like two steps back.
    And my Valcyclovir battles wages on.

8. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I wanted to update everyone.

I am feeling almost no symptoms of Menieres. The worst is some days where I feel a little
    off-balance and some tinnitus. I'm still taking 3-1000mg. A day. I'm not ready to try and cut back yet.
    Especially with the holidays coming upon us.

Then again the last 2 weeks have been drama free here. I think that helps.

I wish everyone could find this relief.

9. moodymom27

moodymom27 Active Member

That's great, Bea! I'm so glad you're doing so well!

10. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    That's great to hear!

If you're staying a prolonged period at the max dose, be sure to tell your doctor so you can get regular blood work, etc.

11. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I just had my blood work done. I have it done twice annually.

Scott, I can always count on you to be supportive and make me smile. We need you in the front porch to have some fun, too! LOL

It's a beautiful day with nothing to do. The beach is close but they still require badges to get in and I'm not about to pay$10 to get on a beach. That's why I usually go at dusk. Looking at the ocean doesn't bother me anymore either.

Thank-you.

12. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    My doc just gave me a scrip for 1Mg of Valtrex a day on Thursday and I've had more vertigo in the last four days than I have had in four months. (Well, attacks. I was always a little dizzy overall.)

Is it the general consensus that once you start the antivirals that things get worse for a bit before they get better?

13. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Yes. But it's 3 doses a day at the same amount of dosage.
    At least that's what I take.

Valcyclovir manufactured by Northstar.

14. yellow

yellow Member

May 13, 2014
    I don’t think that anyone really knows. Best to persevere until you are done with persevering. If it works you are likely to become a convert (and the chosen few become evangelists), if it partially works you might become a sceptical convert, and if it fails .... then it is probably best to move on...

Good luck with the rest of your trial.

I am a sceptical convert myself.

15. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    I tried to get my doc to get me 3X a day but he wouldn't budge. He's very skeptical on the antivirals as I don't show any other symptoms, like cold sores, and haven't had any other signs that would point to such. He also mentioned that - And please don't flame me for this folks. Just passing it along. - he's read just as many papers that say they don't work compared to those that says it does.

I'm on Mylan. Seems that there have been discussions on the different generics in other threads. I've only been taking it for less than a week though so it seems to at least be doing something. That something being no fun at all ... so far.

16. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    That has happened to several of us. It got worse before better. But you need to hit it with 3000 mg a day, and not just 1000 mg. That is what Dr. Gacek (and many others follow him) recommends.

17. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I'd be interested in seeing the papers he's referring to. They likely don't exist. In the meantime, i'd personally fire his ass and move to a doctor who cares about you. It's silly not to try antivirals at the recommended dose by Dr. Gacek, given that they are one of the safest drugs on the planet. The side effects are extremely rare and easily checked with regular blood tests.

As my doctor said, "Can't hurt to try".

18. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    Print out some of the research and ask him to give it a chance. Since Antivirals usually do no damage to the body I'd think a Dr. Would consider it. Especially the documents by Gacek and other esteemed dr's.

19. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    Oh he knows about Gacek and JoH and .... he rattled off half the things I've read on the board.

I'll ask him for pointers to the "AVs don't work" papers. Again, not trying to rain on anyone's parade, I'm on the things myself.

20. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Well, some doctors won't do it. I suspect it's because they: a) don't make any money from it, and you can't imagine how much they get from those surgeries they love, or b) they don't like admitting being wrong all along about things.

Fortunately, any doctor can script it. Or a nurse practitioner.