1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Viral Deniers are Everywhere

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by clearing, Jan 18, 2019.

1. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Meaning the information the tests yielded was limited.

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    So you are a physician then?

• Like Like x 1
  3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Also, that is only two of the viruses, not the ones i have had the most trouble with.

4. Mike B

Mike B Member

May 26, 2017
    Clearing, I agree with June, above.

I mean no disrespect, but you speak very matter-of-factly, as if you
    have in-depth knowledge of both Meniere's and the medications you are
    suggesting.

Please tell us how you came to have this knowledge, as I don't want to
    discuss it with my MD, and end up looking foolish because I don't know
    diddly-squat about antivirals.

5. clearing

clearing Guest

You both could benefit from John of Ohio who has posted this info on this site. good reading.
    1. Download and Copy the Premier Medical Article on the Matter.

Download the article from this site, http://www.mm3admin.co.za/documents/docmanager/6e64f7e1-715e-4fd6-8315-424683839664/00056616.pdf

Then, print it off — yes, all 17 pages.

2. Get the Article and a Note to the Doctor.

BEFORE you have an appointment with your doctor, drop off the printed article to your doctor’s office, deliberately and specifically asking the nurse or office attendant to make sure the good doctor gets to read the article several days before your appointment.

On the first page of the print-out, make a note to the doctor, asking him to specifically read the Clinical Series section starting on page 103, noting the drugs to prescribe, dosages, durations, etc. The following would be a suggested text, either on the document itself, or a clipped-on separate note or print-out:

Dr X,

I respectfully ask you to scrutinize the information in this recent journal article. The author, Dr. Richard Gracek of Boston, is extremely experienced in antiherpetic therapy of Meniere’s, as the article will reveal.

Read closely the information on P. 103, for effective dosages and durations. Dr. Gracek gains an 88% to 90% complete relief of Meniere’s symptoms with his protocols, described in the paper.

My thanks.

That’s it. If the good physician chooses to neglect or reject your provided medical information, it’s time to find a more open-minded doctor who will treat with evidence-based approaches.

For your information — and for the physician’s — here’s the cogent treatment text. I’ve taken the liberty to highlight crucial information:

The antiviral treatment protocol for patients with recurrent vertigo is as indicated below.

Discontinue all previous medical treatments; ensure that patients are cleared for normal
    renal and liver function; use acyclovir tabs 800 mg t.i.d. for 3 weeks and reexamine. If there
    is significant relief of vertigo, decrease to 800 mg b.i.d. for 3 weeks, then to 800 mg daily as a
    maintenance dose. If valacyclovir is selected (in those who fail to respond to acyclovir), use
    1 g t.i.d. for 3 weeks with taper to b.i.d. for a further 3 weeks and then 1 g daily as a maintenance
    dose. The starting dose of acyclovir was given for a longer period (3 weeks) than that
    used for zoster because it was felt necessary to cross the blood-brain barrier to reach ganglion
    and satellite cells with virus.
    Most patients experienced relief from vertigo in the first 2 weeks
    but some required a longer period. The gradual lowering dose was then used to find the
    lowest level maintenance dose for a given patient. Most were controlled on a single dose daily
    but occasionally a patient required an adjustment to 1,200 mg of acyclovir or 1,500 mg of
    valacyclovir.
    These dosages may require adjustment in patients with impaired kidney or liver function.
    The follow-up period was as short as 3 years in the most recent patients and 8 years in the
    earliest patients in the series. Of 106 patients with VN (the earliest patients evaluated up to
    8 years), 93 (88%) had complete relief of symptoms with oral acyclovir, 54 of 60 patients
    (90%) with MD [Meniere's disease] were relieved of vertigo,
    and 27 of 45 patients (60%) with posterior canal
    BPPV were relieved of symptoms. Between the use of antivirals and repositioning maneuvers
    (physical therapy), the number of chronically disabled patients who were candidates for
    ablation of posterior semicircular canal function (canal occlusion or singular neurectomy)
    was reduced significantly.
    As a result of these morphological and clinical observations, our approach to the patient
    with recurrent vertigo has been simplified. It goes without saying that the patient without
    recurrent balance symptoms needs no further treatment after a hearing test and MRI of the
    brain (assuming that these are normal). A Hallpike maneuver is included in the initial examination.
    Those patients with recurrent vertigo are offered a trial of oral acyclovir (or Valtrex)
    for 3 weeks.
    Examination at the 3-week period will determine the sensitivity of the particular NT
    virus to the antiviral. If there is no relief of vertigo with acyclovir or valacyclovir, treatment
    is followed by vestibular tests (videonystagmography and vestibular-evoked myogenic
    potential) to determine the responsible ear. If these results are abnormal chemical labyrinthotomy
    is offered. The patient is offered a choice between dexamethasone (12 mg/ml) or
    gentamycin (80 mg/2 ml), considering the risk of hearing loss (dexamethasone 0%; gentamycin
    usually negligible if used in a single small dose).

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Thanks for the advice and reading assignment Clearing but I have already had my hearing situation returned to normal with the help of antivirals and allergy treatment. What was your personal history with antivirals and other treatments?

7. clearing

clearing Guest

I went through all the horrors of MD and found Dr Gacek's writings and John of Ohio's. I got my Dr. the reading material and he started me out on acyclovir and llysine. within about a month my symptoms and episodes went down about 50%. I then went on remission streaks of as long as 1 - 3 months but always seemed to experience more episodes especially if I had gluten or MSG that day. 1-2 a month on average. I then started on the multi- antiviral approach and slowly, one by one added monolauin, olive leaf extract and oregano oil gel caps. once I did that the 1- 2 episodes a month from oopsies went away. In the last 4 - 5 months I have had one small episode. I know for a fact a few times I had MSG after doing a food diary and all it did was raise tinnitus where before I would have been knocked down for a day. What I have experienced and the latest research reflects is that this is not just one virus for most people. Its almost always many microbials converging and helping one another to lower our immunity and create a beachhead.. 70% of us have had a mold infection at some point... according to Mr. Escamez in Spain who did all the genetic research. This an eye opener and certainly true in my case as I discovered I had a candida overgrowth, leaky gut and mold along the way.

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Thank you for that background. Another perspective is that it is the immune system overwhelmed by various things. For me, antivirals and allergy treatment took enough of a load off it for the CH to reverse. Fortunately i did not have to fix everything that might be wrong with me. I do have a history of multiple herpes viruses in the years shortly before and shortly after the CH onset. I do not seem to be able to maintain the immunity one usually acquires after an initial infection with these common things. In me when tested, it always “looks like” it is the first time i had these viruses although tHe doctors tell me that is highly unlikely at my age having lived a normal life in the general population. I think each of us has their own perfect storm preceding MM but i certainly encourage anyone who has not tried antivirals to do so because they helped me so much and seem to have helped so many here.

9. Jacqui

Jacqui Member

Jan 21, 2019
    Athens, Greece
    I am a little worried about that BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene) as I can see it is sold in commercial quantities as a preservative for cosmetics. Also a couple of cases in product reviews (oral supplement) of allergic reactions and ER visits. Has anyone used it and in what doses please?

10. Mike B

Mike B Member

May 26, 2017
    Clearing: Thanks for the info.

Being Bi-lateral and having had a Laby in one ear, I
    might consider trying to find some relief in the other.
    Dr.'s are very sensitive about messing around with
    the only working ear I have.

You mention results over a few months, but the real test
    is how people on this regimen are doing in 3-5 years.

Meniere's is a sneaky bastard, and while the short-term
    results appear to be good, it's very possible the beast
    will find a way around it and come back as bad as ever.

• Like Like x 1
  11. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Mike B
    I agree. I thought I’d skated the beast by leaving my stressful job. I had a 3 year remission (on no meds nor supplements), then whamo The Beast was back.

12. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014

Mike, i have one ear totally lost to an and surgery 10 years prior to cochlear hydrops. As a result, dr’s did not propose any destuctive surgeries to the hearing ear. They just kind of said sorry about your luck, come back when the hearing is bad enough for a cochlear implant. Only then did i try antivirals and allergy treatment. It took months and really several years to get back to normal hearing but i did. The ch struck in 2007, first took antivirals in 2008 followed by allergy treatment the same year. I have been fine for many years now and no longer take either treatment. There is no doubt that these two treatments turned everything around for me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    Where's the facepalm emoji?