1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Vitamin B12 May Help with Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by John of Ohio, Apr 16, 2016.

1. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    I’ve read a number of external postings, webpages, stating that vitamin B12 deficiencies can contribute to or cause tinnitus, and that some have gained relief from tinnitus by a course of vitamin B12 supplementation.

Nothing is fast about this. Apparently, it can take up to 6 months before relief is gained, if at all.

It is noted that Meniere’s tends to occur in most people later in life, in middle age or later. It is known that vitamin B12 requirements increase with age, along with decreasing absorption from the diet.

Now I doubt that vitamin B12 deficiency is a direct (even indirect) cause of Meniere’s. But given the vitamin’s many health benefits for those in middle age and older, it’s worth trying for tinnitus.

B12, if directly ingested, apparently gets mostly digested in the stomach before absorption and is not very effective. It is best administered sub-lingually, in drops or tablets under the tongue.

--John of Ohio

2. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    That's very interesting John. I am getting myself vitamin B 12 then!

3. RingNears

RingNears Member

Apr 9, 2016
    Thank you for the share.i plan on b12 too.

4. Sharon406

Sharon406 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    John, can you take too much B12? Should people have a blood test before staring the supplement?

5. JenW

JenW Member

Feb 14, 2016
    Thank you for this.

6. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    John, is it a good one??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001LR5ONY/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1460896380&sr=1&keywords=b12+sublingual

7. Titanium31

Titanium31 Member

Mar 21, 2016
    Interesting that I've heard a B12 Deficiency can also cause cold sores to erupt in people who have them. All related!!!

8. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    No, it is virtually impossible to take "too much" vitamin B12. It's water soluble and excess is excreted in urine. Search everywhere on the internet; you will find no cautions about taking too much, only statements that B12 is never toxic at any dosage.

--John of Ohio

9. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Yes, that will work, but for those in the UK, this looks to be a better deal:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AG3V4Q4?psc=1

--John of Ohio

10. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Thank you Jhon! I am going to order it!

11. Muff

Muff Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Hi John,
    What brand would you recommend here in the States? Thanks!

12. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-quickdots-methylcobalamin-vitamin-b12-cherry-1000-mcg-plus-b6-folic-acid-and-biotin-120-sublingual-tablets#BVRRWidgetID

--John of Ohio

13. nroper

nroper Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Western Oklahoma
    John, after reading this thread i think i will order some, I am curious do you take it? I know you are in remission but didnt know if you still have the tinnitus. Thanks for the info.

14. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Didn't make myself clear. I have no MM symptoms whatsoever.

But I'm 68, and want the brain-maintaining and other benefits of vitamin B12. After the age of 50, the body simply is unable to absorb sufficient B12. It's cheap, without known side-effects, and counters a lot of age-related conditions. I've added B12 to the many vitamins, minerals, and supplements I take each day.

--John of Ohio

15. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I am getting B12 for my parents as well! Thanks John!

16. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    I take 2000 mcg of B-12 a day -- one in the am and one late afternoon along with the Lipoflavanoids..... Not sure if it is the reason my tinnitus is bearable or in conjunction with or what - but - my fatigue and brain fog isn't as bad either - so - I am going with it ( I am 47 btw and have had menieres for 20 + years) .

17. Vicki

Vicki Guest

John, does it help only if your are deficient in B12?

18. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Probably. But what constitutes deficiency would be hard to define. Simply, the older one becomes the greater the B12 need. As one ages, the gastrointestinal tract becomes increasingly less able to absorb the vitamin.

And there is a genetic component. Some lack the molecules that grab onto B12 and help transport it into the blood stream. Ample supplementation can over come this problem.

But, several problems. The main one is that apparently it can take months for the body to load up on B12, unless you get a physician to inject the vitamin. Back in the 1950s, that was a quite common clinical practice for general practitioners. Med schools no longer endorse the practice; few modern docs are willing to do this.

The second problem is that a B12 deficiency is not at all likely to be the main or primary cause of Meniere's, or, perhaps, even of tinnitus. But, clearly, in a number of cases, supplementation can really help --- if it continues long enough (up to six months to see [well, hear] results).

But, again, B12 is inexpensive, has a multitude of good health benefits (especially after the 50s or so), and there is no over doses, does not cause side effects at any possible dosings.

--John of Ohio

19. Vicki

Vicki Guest

thanks for the response and explanation John. I had my B12 tested recently and it was in normal range.
    But I am lucky my tinnitus is not intrusive most of the time.

20. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Big doses of B12 can cause side effects. Don’t take your B12 within 2 hours of your vitamin c, because the vitamin c can interfere with B12 absorption. B12 can have drug Interactions with a few meds (see Mayo Clinic website).