1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What’s left…

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JenLKN, Apr 23, 2019.

1. JenLKN

JenLKN New Member

Apr 23, 2019
    Anybody happen to live in the Charlotte, NC area by chance???? I think I need a Positive Coach lol. Similar to a Sober Living Coach but one who is positive, gives you a more realistic picture when your mind goes elsewhere!!!! The mind is a tricky thing, especially when vertigo comes into play.

2. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Jen - you are not alone. I was diagnosed 12 years ago at 28 years old. Its been a hell of a grind. I had the shunt surgery 3 years ago... 30 days before my second child was born. It did not work at all. Made things worse.

I know its hard to think about the future. Most of the people on this site are 20 years older than you and at a much different point in their life.

There are some young people on here who have gotten labby's. I would seek them out and get their advice. I have been trying to hold off until I'm 50 to get the labby but their are many days where I'm ready now.

Keep your head up.

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Mac I love your posts and I love your research and encouragement you have for our new posters. But...not a fan of your above comment about the older generation on this site. I am sure you meant no disrespect. We the 20 plus years older group know exactly what you mean and what you ar going through. Been there so don't count us out. And yes there are younger ones going through the exact same thing we went through. And they have made the same choice we made.
    Hold off to 50? When you could have your life back now? Have to think about that.

4. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    Ha. Coming at me Redwing. Jeez. I am just trying to help.

She mentioned she can’t imagine living 45 years like this. I’m guessing she’s 45.

So as someone who has had this since 28... I know what she’s talking about (45 years) better than most.

As for the labby... I would have to go on long term disability if I had a labby. I have a mortgage and two kids. 4 and 2. If I was over 50 I’d be in a better financial situation. I’m not in the majority on this site in terms of my situation. You know that.

This however is not about me. It’s about Jen. She sounded down and out and I just want her to know she is not the only one with a long haul ahead. Try to stay positive and know things will get better.

Jen - keep your head up!

5. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Mac you know how I feel about you and this horrible situation. I am not coming after you I promise.
    Why would you need to go on long term disability if you had a laby? I am missing something.
    And I totally agree with you keep positive and keep your head up Jen.

6. Mac

Mac Active Member

Oct 23, 2017
    I could not do my current job with one ear. No chance. I would have to go on disability to support my family. Getting hired for a new job (at anywhere close to what I make) with one ear in your 40's is no easy task as well.

In any case... I think I will stay in my lane going forward. Stick to getting ignored when I post research updates. haha.

I'm only trying to help folks.

Jen - Keep your head up. You are not alone.

7. JenLKN

JenLKN New Member

Apr 23, 2019
    I truly appreciate everyone’s input. I’m almost 50 in a month to give reference. I am thankful not to have to work and my youngest leaves for college in the Fall.

I can’t seem to come out of this latest vertigo fall, even with meds. Hopefully can get into ENT tomorrow and then I am lucky to be a couple of hours from Duke Univ Hospital, I’m assuming they will have Drs comparable to Mayo in Ménières knowledge.

I can’t seem to find many people that have had the Laby surgery good/bad on Internet. Disappointing... I would hate to make myself worse, although at this moment I can’t imagine it but I know there are risks.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words. If I had Cancer, I feel more people would understand Ménières. I would even be more hopeful for some reason.

Right now I’m at the bottom trying to pull myself up...