1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What are you doing to have fun with Meniere?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by IvanA, Jul 9, 2020.

1. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    Since I have this disease I do not know what to do to have fun and be happy again even if it is only a small moment. Everything I did before to have fun has become impossible for me Meniere: Being in places with several people talking at the same time tires me because I am bothered by so much noise and also I hardly understand what is being said. Going out for drinks is no longer an option and in my country the way to socialize and have fun with friends is to meet for a few beers in the afternoon or a few drinks at night. In general, leaving my house outside to do something is very tiring and I don't enjoy it: shopping exhausts me, walking down the street bothers me from traffic noise, etc.

Listening to music at low volume is acceptable, but I don't enjoy it because it makes me aware that I listen much worse than before.

Even my true passions since I was 5 years exhaust me: Playing video games and watching movies or series (now with subtitles). I manage to do it because they are the only two things that more or less entertain me and provide me with some leisure in the midst of this disease, but it is not like before: In an hour I begin to feel tired and without the desire to continue paying attention to the screen. I have started watching anime because the episodes are 20 minutes long and I can stop earlier.

2. DizzyAF

DizzyAF New Member

Feb 14, 2020
    Vestibular rehab helped me quite a bit to enjoy life again. It didn't take away the gross feelings, but I learned how to manage them. I also find deep breathing to be a great help. I had to slowly condition myself to this new unpleasant reality. Whenever I am going to do something that I know is going to be extra challenging, I put on a scopolamine patch (I used to take meclizine which isn't bad either.)

Sadly I can't speak to drinking. I can't have anything more than a very small nightcap now. I also can't play first person games anymore, no shooters, nothing where the camera moves fast. There are tons of indie games out there with fixed cameras, slow moving cameras, top down cameras, etc. Steam is a great place to poke around. I also read a lot more.

I'm sorry you're going through this! I know it sucks.