1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What are you listening to?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Nathan, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    To distinguish your favourite lyrics from your favourite songs. I'm sure there are members such as myself who enjoy music devoid of lyrical content, or gravitate towards a certain song for its musical appeal, rather than the songs lyrics. Perhaps an isolated melody, songs containing either extinct language or enjoyable ambiance.

This is a place you can come to share these harmonies.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. paisley

paisley Guest

That was lovely, Nathan.

I love this!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIzhgc7SkK0

4. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    Pachelbel's Canon in D Major will always be one of my favorites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOA-2hl1Vbc

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    I love to meditate to this song. Deuter - Seven Sacred Pools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1emmMvOFXAg

6. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
  7. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    It's good to see you, Lulu!

Do you generally prefer to meditate while listening to music, or have you resorted to listening to music while you meditate so to mask your tinnitus? Like you I tend to listen to ambient music also, or meditate outside, because I find it difficult at times to enter, or attempt to enter nonduality when my tinnitus seems hellbent on reminding me of self. The worst type of reminder, too. That combination of both high & low pitch, dramaturgical insistence. Oddly I find it much harder to observe my tinnitus as a passerby, per se, than I do any emotions I have at the time.

8. Gustav123

Gustav123 Is it great yet?

May 12, 2014
  9. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    It's good to see you too, Nathan!

It's a little of both for me. Music not only masks my tinnitus but it also helps to keep random thoughts from crowding my mind when I'm trying to be still and at peace. If I didn't listen to music while meditating I'd likely be thinking about all the things I need to do and the relaxation I experience from meditating would go right out the window for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Lulu

Lulu Member

May 12, 2014
    Thanks to my Dad who was born and raised in Kentucky, I grew up listening to and having a great love and appreciation for Bluegrass Music. This is by far one of the best arrangements of this song I've ever heard. Most definitely NOT a song you want to listen to while meditating. :D

Foggy Mountain Breakdown - Earl Scruggs and Friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icMTVV5Lwaw

11. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
  12. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Haha. Perhaps it could be if the human nervous system processed sensory data at a faster rate. Reminds me of smaller animals - The nervous system of smaller birds, for instance, process sensory information, including sound, much faster than the nervous system of humans. It's hypothesised that from the perspective of a Wood Thrush (MP3 found at the top of the page), the song you've linked would be perceived as though being played 4 - 5 times slower, so to become something like this.

13. Gustav123

Gustav123 Is it great yet?

May 12, 2014
    Nathan, yes I have seen it but so long ago I dont really remember it, Its time for another viewing. =)

Good idea for a thread BTW.

14. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    There is another music video, Angels, by Black Mountain, that I caught in my late 20's which also features scenes from Wings of Desire. You may or may not gravitate towards said song, though it's always interesting to identify that which reaches for Wim's imagery.

If you do revisit Wings of Desire, let me know how it finds you after these longer periods of time. I've yet to see it & would welcome a push in any particular direction.

15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Cellar Door & Waltz in the 4th Dimension by Michael Andrews are found in my top 100 let's-see-if-insomnia-is-curable list.

So is anti-realism, non-cognitivism, metaethics & Hume, however that's a different thread entirely.

16. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    The a eagles

Life In The Fast Lane

17. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Rod Stwwart Greatest Hits CD

18. daBronx

daBronx Member

May 13, 2014
    http://tinyurl.com/ocay9ho

19. daBronx

daBronx Member

May 13, 2014
    'Send in the Clowns'
    Sung by Frank Sinatra

20. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Neil Diamond's Greatest Hits.

What can I say I love Neil Diamond, great voice!!!!