1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Autumninthefall, Sep 26, 2017.

1. I read several books at a time, that way I can just pick up what strikes my fancy. I'm a night reader, so I have this collection of books next to my bed. My most recent chapter was out of, "After You," the sequel to "Me Before You." Books just speak to me. Anyone else?

2. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    The Painted Drum

Louise Erdrich

3. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I wish I had time to read! After a long time at work and chores at home I fall asleep within a second!
    My last highly recommended book was A Hat Full of Cherries by Oriana Fallaci.

4. Gracie

Gracie Active Member

May 13, 2014
    I would like to read a good book maybe I should google what is hot,

5. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I dont recommend The Painted Drum. Its not very goid so Im going to try something else.

When i get home I'm going to try to get a Hat Full of Cherries from the librsry along with 10% Happier.

6. Well shoot. I feel left out! Looks like I'm going to have to get, "A Hat Full of Cherries" LOL
    (Because I ALWAYS mind getting another book)

7. I was looking for this book on Amazon, and couldn't find the English translation? Where can you find it?

8. Tonight I'm reading: First King of Shannara~Terry Brooks

It's great if you like sci-fi. Reading this kind of sci-fi is such an easy way for me to unwind. Probably because it's so far away from reality. Terry Brooks also has a way with words. I love that he utilizes antiquated words, and makes their usage seem natural.

9. Carrie~Stephen King

I JUST THINK IT'S A PERFECT REMINDER OF WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND WHEN WE TREAT ONE ANOTHER LIKE GARBAGE.

Let's not forget ALOT of carnage GOES a little ways with small-minded people!

10. You ever seen the movie?

11. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I can’t do horror, Autumn. I do agree with the sentiment that what goes round, comes round. Sometimes it takes too long!

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I'm pickin' up what your puttin' down, Autumn. Ha ha ha.

13. Funny you should say that Mel. I don't do horror either.
    I've always thought that the longer the coming around takes, the worse it is when it finally arrives.

14. Man's Search for Meaning~Viktor Frankl

Hope in the dark, all with humor

15. Beside Still Waters:Words of Comfort for the Soul~Charles Spurgeon

16. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    What do you think of Man's Search for Meaning?

It's been on my amazon wish list for years.

17. One of the quotes I love:

"The last of one’s freedoms is to choose one’s attitude in any given circumstance."
    ~Viktor Frankl

I wish everyone would read this book. Then again, unless you are interested in connecting with your feelings or already are connected with your feelings/have no problem admitting them, it will be lost on you. I feel it to be a source of guidance or nurturing to my soul, regardless of the difficulties I may experience. I read it for the first time years ago, and I've always found it's insights to be bittersweet, but true. If he could find humor and meaning in the midst of a concentration camp, certainly we can~if that's our choice.

Lots of meaning in a compact volume. It is existential. Anyone interested in the themes above will be interested in the first section of the book. Unless you have a great interest in psychology, or it's your profession, I'm not sure how much you'll get out of the logotherapy sections.

18. First King of Shannara~Terry Brooks

Some days call for sci-fi more than other days. This is one of those days!

19. The Girl In the Spider's Web~David Lagercrantz

20. A Column of Fire~Ken Follett