1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Autumninthefall, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    You mean The Girl or Guy in the Spider's Web. It's important to be inclusive.

2. ROFL If you read these books, you'd know that actually IS pretty funny, as EVERYONE is equally targeted, exploited, you name it, and it's probably in these books.

3. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Autumn, Nathan,

I just started Man's Search for Meaning. Not sure where I got the idea to order it a few months ago. Maybe here? Anyway, I could use a little meaning right now. I've read the intro and it seems seriously good. I like the author's low key, unhistrionic approach.

Also reading Rat Man of Paris.

4. Dare I ask the subject matter?

5. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I don't read the plot summaries to books or movies because I like them to unfold naturally over the course of the work, without me having any preconceived ideas about them, and maintaining the factor of surprise. I blindly choose them by seeing if they received good reviews, or are among the finalists for awards.

Anyway, I'm about a chapter in and it seems to be about a man who likes to shock pedestrians by suddenly exposing the rat he keeps inside his coat.

6. Oh good griefLOL I don't know, Pupper. Maybe you should have put a trigger warning before you wrote that summary

7. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Had it been a snake instead of a rat, I would have needed a trigger warning! :D

8. That’s it. I’m covering my ears! ::wicked grin, yes that was intentional:: I think I’m too young to view these comments

Lamb~Christopher Moore
    **if you can’t take a joke having to do with Christianity/the Bible don’t touch this book. You’ll turn into a pillar of salt. If you can, this book will give you belly laughs**

9. A Column of Fire~Ken Follett

10. Man's Search for Meaning~Viktor Frankl

Need some soul soothing tonight...or this morning, depending on how you look at it. I don't recommend insomnia, although it gives you PLENTY of time to read.

11. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Aww, Autumn, I know what that’s like. I hope your soul is a little more soothed by now. Sending you some good vibes. Try some pet therapy? Thinking of you.

12. Coming Home~Rosamunde Pitcher

13. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I like Pilcher’s books, Autumn. I saw her home when we were in Ireland. It was lovely.

I’m reading Born a Crime by Trevor Noah. I don’t think I’m going to get much done around here today. Good book.

14. Ummm I can’t believe I spelled her name wrong! But I can, and I did. ::slapping forehead::

Rosamunde PILCHER

15. Smithsonian magazine. Good issue this month(for those interested in science) regarding viral outbreaks and flu pandemics.

16. The Girl In The Spider's Web~David Lagercrantz

(curled up under a blanket, puppies, and a great book. Couldn't ask for more, except to not have Meniere's, maybe... ;) )

17. When the Sleeper Wakes~H.G. Wells

18. I wanted something to read appropriate for the season, and as my favorite author suggests this book...

Winter's Tale~Mark Helprin

Supposedly, it has beautiful, descriptive language...we shall see.

Mel, did I ask you about Pilcher's home? I don't think I did. What made it so lovely?

19. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Autumn,

It seems that I messed up when I said I had seen Pilcher’s residence when we were in Ireland. I had her mixed up with Maeve Binchy.

Pilcher is in the UK, Cornwall, I think and Binchy is Ireland . I like both authors and went a bit do ally there and got them mixed up.

We did see Binchy’s house and it was magical. When I get a chance to go through my photos I’ll try to explain.

Have you read Maeve?

20. It’s still always fascinating, in my book,::grin::to see an author’s residence, regardless of the author, don’t you think? I read Circle of Friends many years ago, but that’s the only one. It was so long ago, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for me to revisit her work...got a favorite?