1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Autumninthefall, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Currently reading a photography book. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    No doubt some pop-psychology book meant to excuse men like Louis CK, Charlie Rose, etc.

3. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    8) 8) 8)

4. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Thanks MBG, I'm quite an the idiot tonight.

Reading "The Wind and the Willows". It's the most adorable thing I've ever read.
    (I can say that because I used to play football.) It's about a mole. I'm only a chapter in. Right now he's having a picnic with a river rat. (I'm also reading Rat Man of Paris. But I don't have a thing for rats. I detest them. My girlfriend had a pet rat. I almost detest her for it.) Anyway, I highly recommend it. Each sentence is a treat. If someone's already read it please don't say anything that'll spoil any surprises for me. I recommend it for MM sufferers or anyone that has stressful days. It's really soothing bedtime reading. Puts a smile on your troubled face it does.

5. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Nothing right now, but I have a craving for some Tom Robbins. “Jitterbug Perfume” and “Still Life with Woodpecker” are classics that deserve another go.

6. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I read some reviews on Jitterbug Perfume. Seems fascinating. And I'm also into perfumes. I think it might be too complex for me at present, but I'll note it down for when I'm clearer minded.

By the way, The Wind in the Willows was Syd Barrett's favorite book as a child. It's where he got the title Pipers at the Gates of Dawn from.

7. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    I hadn’t heard that. I’ve never read The Wind And The Willows, that needs fixing.

8. Rat? She wanted, and therefore acquired, a creature that will do everything in it’s power to bite/scratch you if you pick it up?? I’ll never touch a rat again, if I can help it! Way too much of that in college.

9. Can you just imagine what the flood of books about this topic/all of the famous people involved will be titled? :eek:

10. Jitterbug Perfume. Now THAT is a trippy book! Just had to get past the first chapter or so? I don’t really like to read about the way bodily fluids taste...

11. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    At this v'ry moment I hath taken mine own copyeth of Steven Pinker's Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, & Progress.

Though a day tardy, I wilt & doth sayeth, wheeee! Wheeee, ladies & gentlemen, broth'rs & sist'rs, comrades & cater-cousins, wheeee!

12. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    No wonder you can’t sleep!

13. Oh dear. He’s been hallucinating Elizabethian again...Nathan, whatever you do, if you see old Willy, don’t speak to him, or you’ll get stuck in the hallucination forever! It’s true. I heard it from my friend’s brother’s sister who knew somebody it happened to.

He seems rather wired, doesn’t he, Vixen? I’m guessing his choice of reading material will occupy his brain sufficiently and stop the Elizabethian hiccup. Read anything good lately, Vixen? AWESOME name by the way.

Just to avoid Nathan’s fate I’m reading Pilgrim’s Progress J/K

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking~Susan Cain

I like this book so far. Introverts are undervalued. I’ve already learned I’d never make it in an Ivy League MBA program...I’d rather cut off my left pinky than do nothing but brainstorming and group think activities for years. Where’s the individuality and room for ideas that can only be reached after much private thought and contemplation?! When the book mentioned the Myers-Briggs, of course I got curious and had to take it. I got INFJ.

14. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I just finished Dance, Gladys, Dance. It was set in a city where I used to live.

Now I’m reading calling me home by julie kibler . The setting is southern US, set in present with the Caucasian protagonist flashing back to 1939 .

Autumn, I took that Myers-Briggs thing a long time ago. I can’t remember what I got, but I remember being told it was the least common result. Now I’m going to have to take it again!

15. ::cringing:: Do I want to know about the Kibler book, or are all of the Southerners the horrible stereotypes? ROFL

If you liked that one, I’d recommend the true story: Dear Senator: A Memoir by the Daughter of Strom Thurmond~Essie Mae Washington-Williams

I find Myers-Briggs interesting, but at the same time I take it with a grain of salt. You’re unusual, Vixen? Wouldn’t have thunk it! ;)

I just finished Still Me Jojo Moyes
    I liked the first two in the trilogy better; I feel like she was just in a hurry on this one.

16. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    No, Autumn, you might like it. I’m only half way through. It’s highlighting the absurdity of not being able to love who you love. I’ll not say any more in case you want to read it.

I’ll look up your suggestion to see if it’s available at our library. If not, I’ll ask them to get it in. I refuse to buy books anymore.

17. Vixen, you’d love this flea market that’s close to where I live. There is a used book vendor there, but the individual does it more for fun. If you sit down with her and just chat, she makes you take books when you leave. You know, because all Southerners are crass and rude. That’s why it’s such a bad thing to go slowly and take your time doing business here. God forbid adhering to local cultural norms of etiquette and...getting free books!!! Didn’t talk to her for that reason, but it certainly was an added bonus!

18. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    You’re right, Autumn, I would love your flea market. I would love to sit and chat with the vendor. What I wouldn’t do is take a book from her. I would take names of authors and head over to the library.

I’m into accumulating nothing so even a free book given to me from a delightful soul, is still a book that needs to find a new home.

In my younger days when I was travelling, I used to buy books from used book shops, read them and then leave them in airports for others to find.

Weird I am.

19. Nah, that’s a great idea! Airport reading material is too expensive. Taking the books at the flea market~totally a Southern thing. It would have been very rude to refuse her offer, so the next time we go to the flea market we’ll return her hospitality by having another chat and actually buying books. LOL We give away and/or swap books with friends, otherwise we’d have no living space!

The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry
    english translation by Richard Howard

20. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Yet there you are, standing atop a mountain of acquired awesomeness.