1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What brand of Valacyclovir

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by reptile2005, Jul 22, 2021.

1. reptile2005

reptile2005 New Member

Nov 29, 2016
    I went about 2 years without any real dizziness and most of that with the only noticable symptom being light tinnitus. Well since the beginning of the year Walgreens has unfortunately swapped to the Mylan brand from NorthStar and things are degrading. I know Mylan was one that people on this forum warned about in the past

I'll be calling soon for another refill and requesting NorthStar again, but wanted to see if there are any other brands that are working for you, or ones like Mylan to avoid. Hopefully Walgreens can assist and I can get back on the wagon.

2. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    I’ve been on antivirals for about 5 yrs. Northstar have worked the best for me, albeit now I even get sick taking it. I get it from a costco without insurance for $89.

Mylan never worked for me.

Unfortunately antivirals don’t work for me like they once did.

3. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Unfortunately yes. I have been at this 8 years. I was on anti-virals for years with great success, I’ve used Famciclovir, Valaciclovir and JOH regimen, with added Olive leave and Monolaurin.

Towards the end Dr. Gacek (the son) was my doctor. I even did a procedure with him, that put a dissolvable sponge of Ganciclovir directly on the nerve in my ear.

It did not work. Anti-virals do not work for me anymore, I was a huge supporter of them, still am, just not for me.

I am about to post a thread on my scheduled labyrinthectomy.

4. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Blakeh, I'm so sorry to hear about this but am happy that after trying everything else, you are able to move onto a labyrinthectomy and get your life back.

I know you say you've suffered from Meniere's for eight years. Could I ask -- at what year did you start with the antivirals, and how many years then until they started to fail?
    Do you suspect you have a viral cause for your Meniere's (due to success with AVs initially), or do you think you have another cause and it was just a coincidental remission period?

5. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi, after a couple years I was getting sick again.

Good question..if I have viral cause. It’s really hard to say, I would of said definitely years ago when they were working. But the truth is I do not know for sure. There have not been any serious studies proving Menieres is viral. Menieres is a strange thing, it goes away for days, weeks and even years for unknown reasons. So did the antivirals ever work? Or did the Menieres just go away?

I do not know.

6. MightyResilience

MightyResilience New Member

Aug 15, 2023
    Just throwing this out there — I've used prescription antivirals all 2023, yielding both positive and negative outcomes. Encouraged by the improvements I experienced while on Paxlovid recently, I was inclined to believe that a viral factor was my root cause. However, delving into various Meniere’s forums exposed an enlightening detail a few days ago: the generic valacyclovir I had been taking, supplied by the manufacturer Mylan, proved ineffective for numerous Meniere’s patients. I had been taking it for MONTHS. I made the switch to a different generic manufacturer yesterday, and my distorted hearing and roaring tinnitus are already better. Check the manufacturer and stay away from Mylan!