1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What is a drop attack?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Weeba, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    Well Ivan, I had my commercial driver's license pulled because of Menieres not drop attacks. I drove truck for years but the Highway Safety Dept. added Menieres to disqualify any one with this disease. As far as the drop attacks go I chose not to drive because it would be very foolish to do so. I value other peoples lives and safety as well as my own and I know that I would surely crash if I had one of these attacks while driving.

• Like Like x 1
  2. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Licenses to operate heavy machinery have tougher requirements than automobile licenses. With this disease, I will not be able to become an airplane or train pilot, but I can work and drive, I pass all the fitness and health tests they require, so if I have an accident due to a drop attack, the insurance will pay the damages.

Personally I would prefer that they tell me: You cannot work or drive because of your illness, take this pay, focus on living relaxed by planting tomatoes in a garden. But since it is not like that and I have to work, I also have to drive for it. And if I have to drive to work, I can also drive to go for a walk, have a drink with friends, etc. Either all or nothing, but I do not intend to live only to work and sacrificing the few pleasures of life. I don't mind stopping drinking coffee or alcohol, but what I don't think about is locking myself at home and dying alone (we don't all have a wife and children when Meniere started us)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I had two calls in to the neurologist in Phoenix RE: drop attacks. Today I got a prescription in the mail for betahistine with no explanation. Some how I don't think Beta is going to help for drop attacks. Your opinion redwing?

4. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    From my experience and on the advice of my OTO I believe you are correct. The one sure way to be free of drop attacks that I know of is destroying the vestibular nerve. This can be done by gentamicin injections for some or by surgery. I don’t know of any other way but maybe one of our members has had success with something I am not familiar with?

5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    *is nodding

Down under in rough & tumble convict land, license holders, or those applying for a drivers licence are legally required to inform both the according Roads Corporation & their insurance company of their medical condition if the condition involves, for instance, the symptom/s of vertigo, drop attacks, more generally the loss of spacial orientation, or any condition that compromises driving ability.

Subsequently, based on the severity of the individual's symptoms, & the degree to which symptoms can or can not be controlled, anticipated or predicted, as documented accordingly by a medical professional, said roads corporation will either allow you to retain your drivers licence, cancel your drivers license, limit your licence, or grant conditions upon your current or future license. In response your insurance company will either grant or refuse road/automobile related coverage.

In Australia, when regarding income & possible unemployment due the medical related limitations of an individual's abilities, or specifically the limitations placed upon or the removal of their drivers licence, they are then able to apply for either a pension granted to those who are unemployed & actively seeking employment, complimentary transportation within the state, whether it be by train, bus, tram or taxi services, or a disability pension; which includes complimentary transportation as mentioned.

Ménière's is recognised in Australia as a disability when symptoms are considered uncontrolled by a medical professional.

Granting this, though also acting independent of—& hence my previous comparison with narcolepsy—one opens the door to possible legal charges—ranging from a fine, multiple fines, or potential jail time, subject to the amount of property or bodily damage caused, or the life/lives lost—if it is discovered that either a) an individual fails to file a required medical condition to the according Roads Corporation, &/or b) a traffic accident occurs due to a previously diagnosed medical condition which compromises driving ability.

6. Dennis

Dennis New Member

Aug 5, 2021
    Whirled Planet
    I've only had two drop attacks and they were terrifying. I've had hundreds of severe debilitating "episodes" often in public or at work, which led to my vestibular nerve section 4 years ago. Those attacks, which happened several times a week, stopped cold after the surgery. Got my life back.

But the drop attacks are next level. Over in a flash, but only after throwing me to the ground without a hint of warning. One happened before my surgeries and one since.

I'm probably not as worried about them as I should be.

7. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I would like to hear from someone that has had both vestibular nerves removed.