1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What song do you want played at your funeral?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Pupper, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Mine would be "The Old Dance" by Roger Eno.

It's melancholic, but not overly so. (We don't need to depress people more than they already are at a funeral.) There's a subtle but definite sense of uplifting grace to it.

No one's life has been completely worthless, in that we all got to witness existence, humanity, the world. However tragic, we at least got to see this great movie called life.

The artwork that accompanies it, sort of appears like a straightjacket, with the belts finally unbound.

The piece sighs, yes, but it also faintly, sympathetically, smiles down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46_G5JSIg_w

2. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I forgot to mention the most obvious thing about it. It really makes you feel like you're floating up to the heavens!

3. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    That's an interesting topic, Pupper.

There will be no funeral when I die. I've told my sons that if they want or need to do something they can hold a celebration of life. They can serve pizza, beer and German Chocolate Cake.

If I were to choose music it would be Ding Dong the Witch is Dead and Monty Python's Always Look on the Brightside of Life.

I love all things Monty Python!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jHPOzQzk9Qo

4. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Later version with lyrics
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JrdEMERq8MA

5. Gracie

Gracie Active Member

May 13, 2014
    lol I haven't really thought about it, I agree with melc, Party

6. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    The "Witch is Dead" idea is quite funny.

I've had people tell me how they want to be dealt with after their death. Cremation, party, no ceremony, etc. I just nod my head, knowing I'm going to do what I want with them after they're dead.

7. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Theyll haunt you!

8. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    "Sweet Old World" could be played at a teen suicide's funeral.

I prefer the Emmylou Harris version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3DEjpSekNY

See what you lost when you left this world, this sweet old world
    The breath from your own lips, the touch of fingertips
    A sweet and tender kiss
    The sound of a midnight train, wearing someone's ring
    Someone calling your name
    Somebody so warm cradled in your arm
    Didn't you think you were worth anything

Millions of us in love, promises made good
    Your own flesh and blood
    Looking for some truth, dancing with no shoes
    The beat, the rhythm, the blues
    The pounding of your heart's drum together with another one
    Didn't you think anyone loved you

9. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    My husband has always been saying he would like to have The Doors-Riders on the Storm played. I myself do not care, once I am out I am OUT.

10. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Maybe Another One Bites the Dust by Queen.

11. verti

verti Member

May 20, 2014
    I don't want a funeral but I think it would be funny to play Andy Grammer's "Good to be Alive (Hallelujah) Right about now" & everybody be dancing. Have a celebration!

12. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    You guys with your party funerals. Half the people will be crying and half the people laughing and dancing. How's that gonna work?

13. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Ahh Puppet, I've spent too much time crying, much better to laugh.

Your post made me think about what a person. Might want on a tomb stone.

It's hotter here than a two dollar pistol which is very unusual for Alberta at this time of year. After putting up with the discomfort from the heat for longer than I should have, I grabbed a hand held fan to get some relief .

My batteries are dead !

Seems appropriate for a tombstone, n'cest pas?

14. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Melclizine,

That would be great on a tombstone. I mean, so great, that someone should actually do it. Imagine making people laugh for a thousand years. Or as long as the cemetery remains. Great stuff.

"It's hotter here than a two dollar pistol." That's also great. I've never heard that saying and I lived in the South. But is seems terribly unfitting coming from a Canadian! First, I figure handguns are super mega illegal there. Like, no one even HAS a pistol. And second, I picture everything being cold to the touch up there.

15. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Sorry about the auto correct error in your name in the above post, Pupper.

You need to come up for a visit and see what Canada is like! Yesterday it was 32 C which I think is about 90 F . That's warm for this area.

Hand guns are legal in Canada if you have a permit. We don't have the same ideology or culture about guns that Americans do so the majority of Canadians don't own or want to own hand guns.

http://www.howtogetagun.ca/

In the winter it can get to -35 C which would be around -31F. Where I am the coldest days are usually in the - mid 20s. When it gets really cold, I've been known to say " it's colder than a witch's tit!"

16. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Extreme temperatures Melc you never get bored where you live. I believe you get snow in winter with those temperatures and everything looks magical.
    I like your saying when it gets really cold I might borrow it ha ha.

17. In the unlikely event that something happened to me during my labyrinthectomy surgery I left specific instructions for a friend, as I knew my spouse wouldn't have been able to handle it. The front of the envelope read, "If I croak." I knew my friend would respect my wishes, and I'd clued my husband in to the contents. As my family tends to be absurdly conservative, my requests included clown-like makeup, and to be buried in an ugly Christmas sweater...still grinning thinking about the looks that would have been on their faces. (I wouldn't have been there, what do I really care anyway?!)

18. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I like the idea of an ugly Christmas sweater

19. Yeah, my sense of humor is a little warped for some people, but sometimes, you just gotta lighten up ;)

20. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I love your sense of humour!