1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What was the name for the bad kids in your school?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Pupper, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    The kids with long hair. Only jean jackets in winter. Smelled like cigarettes and weed. Into heavy metal. The dudes and dudettes that everyone else considered a lost cause. (Not that they're bad or unworthy people. Perhaps you are one of them.)

To us they were referred to as "speds" or "burnouts". A more arty/alternative version of them were known as "shockfags".

I've lived in different regions and I've noticed there are different terms for them. Many people have never heard of the terms I mentioned above. Maybe it was pure northwest Ohio slang. I wonder what exactly a "sped" is.

2. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    I graduated from high school in 1997. So, with the grunge movement in full effect there were a lot of these guys and gals. Burnouts is the only name I remember besides just referring to them as "the grunge kids". I usually just referred to them as a$$holes or dirty bastards. We had the preps, ballers, skinheads, losers (me), wierdos (also me), trustafarians (rich kids with dreadlocks)..etc. I wish I had your certain choice description in my repertoire at that time!

3. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Oh my god, fas.

Ballers sounds cool. I guess that's your word for jocks? Or do you mean guys who made a lot of money selling drugs and have a ton of 'street cred'? Because that's what it means now.

You had real skinheads in your school? Like white supremacists?

After all these years I just found out what "sped" means. Special education.

"Burnout" was the perfect word for these people. It fits in a few ways. Also it sounds cool, and most were cool and laid back. Well, their whole ethos was being cool. Ozzy (with Randy Rhodes) was their hero, before Ozzy became a dork. And some of the burnout girls were foxy and kinda scary.

Yeah, your grunge guys were different I think. More of a fashion or pose (tho kinda cool if you were for real). My burnouts were poor kids from broken homes, without much hope. Tough hippies I guess you could say. Spent most of the day in the shop, autobody and carpentry end of the school.

Typically looked like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=thin+lizzy+fighting+album+cover+united+states&rlz=1C1LENN_enUS490US490&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiRqonizfnZAhUFKWMKHYBdCGEQ_AUICigB&biw=995&bih=430#imgrc=D_As5XIX0iiCKM:

4. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    See we never had kids that cool at my school. Maybe a couple, but I didn’t hang with them. And yes, we had actual skinhead Neo-Nazis. There were two brothers that could have been right out of American History X. They weren’t super aggressive or anything, but there were some fights and general stares going on.

Ballers were jocks, more specifically basketball players. I did have one friend who was a baseball pitcher who kind of looked out for me. Cool guy. Wonder whatever happened to him.

There were also the goth kids. Actually there were more of them at my school than probably anywhere else. Marilyn Manson kids. Black Jnco jeans and spike collar kids. Never got into that scene as far as the dress goes but some of the music was cool.

5. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    The burnout ethos/style (late stage hippie) was replaced with grunge types of all sorts. Which I think partly developed out of skateboard culture.

Yeah, as far goths, some of that music was cool. I think M. Manson was truly creative/artistic. Cool creepy character.

6. Didn’t Manson get hurt at one of his concerts not long ago? I never heard if he was okay...? He can’t be that cool. As I’ve heard many a man say, “what kind of idiot lets go of Dita Von Teese?!” Seriously, the girl’s got IT in spades...and he still needed other women?

7. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Had to look it up, but he broke his leg in two places after some stage pieces fell on him at the Hammerstein Ballroom. He got 10 screws and a plate and subsequently missed nine tour dates.

But yeah, Dita is gone and he was also with Rose McGowan before her. An old friend of mine worked on a short film with him recently at his place in Texas, said he was hilarious and a good guy.

8. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I struggle to refer to anyone , male or female , who cheats on their spouse a good guy.

9. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    MBG go to your room and think about what you've done.

10. What she said.

11. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Whoa y’all...he said it not me! LOL

But agreed, I’ve left friendships over that exact subject.

12. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    My comment wasn’t directed at you, mgb. I know you didn’t say it. Pupper’s just being a shit disturber.

13. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    That must be what they called the bad kids at YOUR school ;)

14. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Ironically, said herd of men are likely to be either slow-minded or shallow, at least on this point. The men you're citing, do they presuppose idiocy due to the assumption that a vedette, or burlesque dancer must be, by default, a pleasant person to be married to, or due to their intimate knowledge of what it's like to be married to Dita?

Infidelity often has nothing to do with the physical appearance, or 'it' factor, of the individual who's cheated on.

Thought experiment: If we were to discover Mohandas Gandhi was unfaithful to his wife, Kasturba, would it be reasonable to be hesitant to refer to Mohandas as a 'good guy'?

15. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    On a side, adulterer, cheater, two-timer, adulteress, & philanderer are nouns used to identify an individual (two of which gender specific) who engages in at least one, if not multiple sexual exploits outside of an established monogamous relationship. When concerning deceitfulness & dishonesty within this context specifically, these nouns are also used within polyamorous subcultures, too.

Is there a noun, or a collection of nouns that identify the party who is cheated on?

16. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    It would depend if it were a one off or if it were chronic. Anyone can do something stupid once. Chronic cheaters are not good people .

17. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Thought men who were cheated on were referred to as cuckolds back in the day. I have no idea what the female version of that is.

18. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Good one, mgb!

19. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    The tough guys were hoods. They had slicked back ducktail haircuts, pegged pants, white teeshirts and smoked lucky strikes.

20. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    I've heard about greasers? Are they the same as your hoods?