1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

What's on your mind?

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Bittersweetvenom, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Dixie

Dixie New Member

May 6, 2020
    Done! Now I need to figure out how to get to Oz. Do you have access to a teleporter ?

Beam me Down Under, Natty.

• Like Like x 1
  2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    In two days I take an exam, if I pass it I will have finished my law degree. It was a dream that I always had and that due to the nonsense of youth I did not dare and made another career of less years. I am quite nervous because I have not been able to prepare it thoroughly as I would like, but I have to try.

If health permits, I hope I can enroll in a Master's degree to work as a lawyer.

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Unfortunately I lost my teleportation/teleporter operators license when I was caught modifying a select few of them into human to Red-lipped batfish therianthroporters.

I'll pick you up in my personal & pedal powered, turn-of-the-20th-century, dirigible ballon.

I'll lower the rope ladder & honk the bulb horn when I'm out front.

Wishing you success in your exams , IvanA!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Erm, dirigible Balloon.

"Ballon" is a surprisingly apt error, however. As it is defined:

noun
    1. (in dancing) the ability to appear effortlessly suspended while performing movements during a jump.

*is laughing... ah I need to sleep

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019

This made me laugh so hard/unexpectedly, I spit out my cough drop. At least it wasn't coffee this time. Thanks, Nathan. Lol

6. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    Yay! Have you been able to visit yet?

7. Dixie

Dixie New Member

May 6, 2020
    What’s the capacity of your dirigible, Nathan? Can I bring my puppy?

Is your therianthroporter still in operation? I have a few humans that need to be converted into red-lipped batfish. Are your rates reasonable?

Get some kip before you head this way. We can’t have sleep deprived balloon drivers. I suggest coming in the back way as the Rockies may prove difficult to navigate.

8. Dixie

Dixie New Member

May 6, 2020
    You coming with us, Autumn? I’ll provide the coffee. I make a mean Dalgona.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    Nah, I'll just wait for Nibiru. It'll be here any day now. ;)

10. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I can't use Google translate now, so prepare for a my doom-english (cross your fingers).

I think I pass my final test, in 2 weeks I will know. Now I can relax and looking for a Lawyer Master (I dint know how name in english sorry) for next year.

I am a little happy after horrible months with the beast and covid. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  11. This is good! Here a limit is two visitors at a time. Tempts are taken and wearing a mask is a must. 20 minutes to visit, then disinfect for next visit.

12. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    They have published the results of my test exam, they are not definitive since some questions may be claimed. But, in principle I have a 6.25 and with the work during the course it goes up to 7. ^^

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  13. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Yes we visited my dad this week. Same rules as you stated. I am afraid the visit was disappointing to him. He was very negative and I understand after all he is 96. He does not like the fact that we have to distance ourselves etc. He seemed anxious and was ready for us to leave after about ten minutes. I will let him make arrangements for another visit if he wants to. All he really wants is to go for a ride in the car and he was very disappointed to learn that is not going to happen for awhile.

14. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Why can't I take my dad who is paying big bucks to live in an assisted living facility (not a nursing home) for a ride in my car? He lives alone in his own apartment. The only communal area would be passing through the hall to get outdoors. I know that not everyone has been living by the guidelines but I have and I am a very responsible adult. I would pick him up take him for a ride through the town and delivery him back. It would make such a difference for him mentally. And that's all he wants. Just a ride in a car. Not much to ask from a 96 year old.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    I'm so sorry to hear of your father's disappointment, & your understandable frustration, Redwing. I can so easily imagine myself in your position, & the subsequent heartache I too would experience given the circumstances.

To play devil's advocate, the best argument I'm able fathom, at 6:34am on a Sunday morning, is as follows:

Granting equality under the law, if your state, or province, were to grant you, a loving, mature, & responsible adult, the legal right to take your father for a ride in your car (A), your state would subsequently, & without exception—other than a valid drivers license for instance—be forced to grant the most irresponsible & immature of adults the same right (B).

From this point of view the assumption argues that while both A & B cause suffering, the amount of suffering produced by A dwarfs the suffering produced by (B), hence the preference—granting it would only require a small number of irresponsible adults to ignite a major spread of the disease within assisted living facilities & nursing homes*: which, from an epidemiological perspective, remains the most vulnerable environment.

PM me if you like, as I have more to say on the subject (a slight rant that you're very likely to agree with) & a handful of additional points remain, however to speak of them here, publically, would likely breach forum rules.

*I say "& nursing homes" as legal overlap likely exists between assisted living facilities & nursing homes, despite the distinction separating the two. However I may be wrong.

16. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Sorry, I completely butchered my above comment. This is what happens when I comment at 6am on a Sunday morning *rolls eyes

Edit: "the legal right to take your father for a ride in your car (as opposed to the opposite—not allowing you or anyone else this right (A))".

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Nathan I agree and understand your point. You are correct with point B as we see the irresponsibility of people everyday. I have to wonder however if the mental health of our elderly might trump point B. For instance the depression for my dad has now reached the point where he is on medication for the first time in his 96 years. I would take him out of that home if I had a place big enough to accommodate him. We have even talked about moving him into an apartment with help coming in on a weekly basis. He would need help with meals and housekeeping but I could do most of that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    It is one of life's many brutal equations. To which the common objection, 'but why?', the cosmos barely bothers to return the reply, 'why not?'.

This would be to juxtapose psychotropics with life support, depression with the cessation of brain function, & mental health with death, or the exceptionally high probability of, & to ponder which side the scale will fall.

I know. If I were able, I would accommodate you all. You would however have to persevere the tremendous groans & wall-destroying yawns, emitted by me, on the hour every hour, as I work around the clock. Despite having worked diligently for 22 hours now, I have on my desk at this moment enough paperwork remaining to blanket the total surface area of UY Scuti.

To you, Red, & to driving your father to his favourite destination soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Wonder if some people understand the meaning of cross contamination

SMH

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    What do you mean? Are you allergic to any food or gluten?