1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

When to get a cochlear implant

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by No thanks, Jul 30, 2020.

1. No thanks

No thanks Member

Jul 27, 2017
    My neurotologist recommended a CI for my menieres ear. She is not pushing it, but made the recommendation to consider (or a BAHA - Bone-anchored hearing aid, or a CROS hearing aid). The hearing in my good ear is very good, and very bad in my menieres ear). I have just gotten used to relying on my good ear... not that I wouldn't like better hearing out of both ears. I have little or no localization.

At what point is it worth getting a CI? I also had a stapedectomy in my bad ear (probably wasn't otosclerosis to begin with, and had problems resulting from the surgery), so I am leery of messing with something if I don't need to. I'm sure if I lost hearing in my good ear I would be chomping at the bit for a CI. I'm just trying to weigh the benefits vs the risks.

2. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi NT.....

I am debating the CI for single sided deafness myself in my laby ear.

So far I have held off because my hearing in my good ear is just fine and I no problems with day to day living.

I do have a cross hearing aid system that works great but must admit I don’t always wear it.

I am on the fence about getting a CI for single sided deafness.... I do know know if anything did happen to my good Ear I would not hesitate.

I am not a fan and the BAHA as the cross system does the same thing...without surgery.

good luck...
    Joe/BD

3. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I can't answer about the CI (I'm curious about it myself) but I'd dissuade you from the BAHA. I got one when I had my laby 2 years ago. You will get zero localization from it, so don't expect help there. It does help in a few very specific situations. Namely, being in a loud restaurant at a big table and helps hearing who is seated and talking to you on your bad side. And any situation similar to that. With Covid and not eating inside restaurants, I haven't even had my BAHA on in 6 months.

I had a regular hearing aid prior to my laby and it made a HUGE difference in my life, and I regret not getting it a year or two before I did. The BAHA - I can take it or leave it. And for the first year, I had some minor surface infections around the site that required antibiotics several times. That settled down eventually but I don't think the benefits have paid off.

4. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    My OTO told me it is best to get the CI while you still have hearing in your good ear but he also said that the technology improves every day so waiting is not a bad thing. I had a couple flair ups with my good ear and thought it was time for the CI. Then I waited and my hearing for now is stable. I have hearing tests every year and follow up with my OTO. I know I am a candidate for CI once I decide it's time. I hope this information is helpful. Good luck.

5. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I have the CI in my laby ear. The other ear was fine until last summer it went to hell. The point at which I was communicating with my wife with a pen and tablet while she was on the phone with my oto, was the tipping point. I had the surgery last December and you can follow the posts on this forum if you are so inclined.

I’m not quite there with it yet meaning I can’t rely on it 100% for conversation. I thought I was progressing well then COVID hit and really threw a wrench in the works. My other ear had been decent since early March so, to be honest, I wasn’t wearing the implant as much as I should’ve. That is the problem with having the surgery if your other ear is normal: If you don’t need it to hear, it can be very challenging to put in the work with the CI. And it is work—it’s rehabilitation.

So I can’t answer the question for you, but I will tell you, for me It was time. It’s taking me longer than anticipated, but I will get there. Echo location is still an issue, but I’m hopeful as sounds become clearer that that will come as well.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Kevin