1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

wondering if it's really menieres

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by donnisue, Dec 15, 2015.

1. donnisue

donnisue Member

Apr 21, 2015
    I have been reading posts and im starting to feel like I might not have full blown menieres. I started out with fullness in my ear and hearig loss, like I had a cold and my ear plugged up. This continued for quite awhile, then my hearing got alot worse, sounded like cars going past had snow tires on in the middle of summer. The ringing started and got quite loud after about 3 months. After lots of time at the regular doctor, who thought I was crazy, she sent me to ent. I was given a hearing test that showed my hearing loss was substantial and given prednisone. This didn't work. Started getting small episodes of dizziness. Finally after a full blown vertigo, ent says I have menieres. Low sodium, no caffine,, no alcohol. I found this wonderful site wih all you wonderful and knowledgeable people. Started JOH regime and have been at fuhave somehill strength since April this year. The fullness is gone, ringing is minimal, full blown vertigo so far is gone. Still get a little dizzy now and then. When I do have vertigo never noticed fullness return or ringing, but that could be because the vertigo was so bad.

So my question is... Is this kinda the norm or could this be something else? I'm at a loss,mI'm about ready to back off some on JOH regime and see what happens, the only other thing I'm taking is antihistamine.

Thank so much everyone

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

sounds like Meniere's to me, have you ever been tested? Balance tests, MRI, VNG, VEMP, etc etc

3. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    The thing with meniere's is that it is unpredictable. As quickly as it surfaces to make life hell, it can leave for a while. No rhyme no reason. It does sound like all of the symptoms but there are other things that could cause similar. Really no tests to prove Meniere's - only tests to rule out anything else.

4. donnisue

donnisue Member

Apr 21, 2015
    I did have hearing test and a mri, dont know what the others things are you mentioned.

5. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    I believe that if you assume that menieres is viral then it can be unpredictable. Therefore whatever else is going on in your body blood flow, what you eat and drink and probably other functions of the body can affect the virus differently from day to day.

For me, and it just my opinion having been through the menieres nightmare, the best way to gain control over the viruses activity is to try and restrict it. From what I know through my experience and others on this board is to use antivirals, llysine, serc or limit food and drink foodstuffs that the herpes virus reacts to.

Of course menieres is different for different people but the above is my experience particularly with dietary triggers and serc. I am well, so its either the above that has worked or just to confuse it further I have been fortunate enough to have burnout.

6. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    It's also possible to have the fullness, tinnitus, and hearing loss from Meniere's while having vertigo from other conditions, like Migraine Associated Vertigo and BPPV. That is the case with me. I just typed up my whole story in the topic where we are telling our stories about taking anti-virals. One thing that is typical of Meniere's is for the hearing loss to be more pronounced in the lower registers. The opposite is true in age-related hearing loss.

7. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    P.S. Some people call the type of Meniere's that I have (without the vertigo) Cochlear Hydrops.

8. donnisue

donnisue Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Ok sounds like I do truly hae menieres darn it. Went to gp and she gave me meclizine for dizziness. Tried to get antiviral but no luck. Said no visible outbreak no antiviral.

9. Vicki

Vicki Guest

you cant see HSV when its embedded on nerves in the stomach, lungs, brain ear etc. sheesh. Sorry your doctor is so uninformed :( Try and find a doctor what will be open to prescribing and AV.

Meclizine most likely wont do anything for vertigo, but will most likely help dizziness