1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Wondering if what I am feeling is from the gentimicin drops from two weeks ago

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by robbitl, Feb 18, 2017.

1. robbitl

robbitl New Member

Mar 27, 2016
    I had gentimicin drops two weeks ago and felt ok for a few days and only had two vertigo spells but they were not bad. Now my head is crazy and I am having trouble focusing my eyes and my balance is crazy. I walk like I am drunk and cannot drive at all. At my wits end. I called my ENT and he wants to do another injection. I am not sure if I want anymore or not. Help desperate.

Terry

2. Qntario

Qntario Member

Mar 29, 2015
    That sounds normal after having gentamicin and experiencing those symptoms means that it did what it was supposed to do. The gent kills the hair cells which causes a loss in balance on that side, so youll be very off balance for a time until your good ear can compensate. Walking around as much as you can will help a lot with the speed of recovery, as well as doing vestibular rehab exercises.

I am not sure why your doc wants to do another shot based on your symptoms? Im no doctor but everything I have read over the years regarding gentamicin basically is in line with your experience. You go for another shot if the previous one had no effect, but in your case it clearly has. Again im not a doctor and everyones case can be different, but its weird that your doc wants to do another shot. Is this your first time doing gent or have you had it in the past?

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    I agree 100% with Qntario's reply. I would not have a second shot. You should start feeling better in 2 to 3 weeks. You need to walk everyday as much ad you can. Walk on different terrain even if you think you can't use walking sticks. Exercise is the key to recovery.

4. robbitl

robbitl New Member

Mar 27, 2016
    thank you for answering my question. I thought it was from the shot. No I am not having another shot. This disease is horrible. I am hoping this works but I sure am ready to get back to normal. Thank you for your time to answer my question.

Terry

5. reptile2005

reptile2005 New Member

Nov 29, 2016
    "Walking around as much as you can will help a lot with the speed of recovery, as well as doing vestibular rehab exercises. "

This. Also do not take Dramamine or anything else that lessens the off balance feelings, that will only slow your other ear's progress.