1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Word Of a the Day

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by BumbleBea, Jul 10, 2015.

1. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    :D :D :D

2. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    disenchanted

3. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Good one. So instead of saying something harsh to some jerk when they ask me why I don't call them anymore. I'll say, "I don't know, I suppose I've just become disenchanted with it all."

How about "enchanted"? Nice one too. My grandparents used to play a great song by that name. This guy had the sweetest voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRzx1CYnXpg

4. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    microburst

Thank you Autumn. Never heard that. Did you make it up? No idea how to use it in a sentence, but I'll try.

"Zoloft is really putting a damper on my sex drive. Just a little microburst every now and then with the wife. I tell ya, that's just not gonna cut it for her."

5. LOL No, I didn’t make it up. We hear that word around here pretty often on the weather report when there have been lots of storms and/or tornadoes. It’s a weather term, but it just seemed like a perfect descriptive.

6. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    A microburst is a small area of intense downward wind from a strong, rapidly developing storm. I first heard this term in 1994 when a DC-9 was brought down by one in Charlotte when they tried to go around the runway at the last second. My dad worked PR for the city so he spent about a week out there at the scene. Wasn't pretty, about half of the 70 passengers died.

And yeah, disenchanted is something I feel all too often now, especially working retail. You see people at their worst, constantly and it gets old. I hate what it's done to me around the holidays with my kids being so young, they see me so not into it and wonder why.

7. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Tincture

8. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    That's a terrible word. Are you trying to upset us?

9. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Ha! It's like Inside The Actor's Studio where he asks what your least favorite word is..

10. Apple-knocker :D

11. Mel, where ever have you gone?! You’re the best at this...

12. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    I can’t post my word of the day that would reflect my recent experience as it wouldn’t get by the censors.

In the spirit of words that irritate, first place goes to irregardless, second place to unthaw which makes no sense, third is a phrase that is stupid beyond words... I could care less. ::)

13. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Blasphemy

14. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Since for the last 100 or so years "blasphemy" has only been used in an ironic sense, I'm wondering what the replacement for it has been. Maybe: Offensive. Insensitive. Inappropriate. That's just wrong. Creepy. Ewwww. ?

15. Ummm it’s still used OFTEN and with great ZEAL in certain religious denominations?!
    I could care less what you think, Mel, I still want you to contribute a word. In fact, I’m going to do it starting right NOW! ::caring less and less::

16. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Ha ha ! Autumn, I see what you did there. Using that phrase is blasphemy to me.

My word of the day :

Pellucid

17. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Is that the antonym of lucid?

18. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Gramma

(Brought to you by Mel C and Pepsi)