1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Worse again on antivirals

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by dwaynehoover, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    I think GOH = gates of hell.

2. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    I have never tried the antivirals. ( I have had MD for 20 years and was in "remission" all thru my 30's and it started again in my 40's - and seriously last summer after I turned 46. After having two or three vertigo episodes a week for about 7 months I got a shot of Decadron in my ear drum. I lasted 21 days vertigo free..... then had a bad attack -- I had another shot May 6th....along with the shots my regimine is 2 Lipoflavoids in the morning with a 5 mg valium and ginger root for nausea --- 2 Lipoflavanoids with a valium in the afternoon and 2 and 1 at night - I also take ambien at night for awful insomnia -- I use the Minette device 4 times a day - and I am 50 days vertigo free so far- the longest I have gone without an attack in a year..... I still have the ringing and the fatigue and the brain fog some days but its bearable and I am able to work --I even went to an NHRA national event last week ( with a custom ear plug for my right ear and ear muffs rated for 30 dbs) and although I was tired on Monday and did get a little light headed - knock on wood - no attack this week -- I am so happy.

I follow a low sodium diet strictly staying between 1200 - 1500 mg of sodium a day and I DO try to get more rest ( not always successful with that as I am used to working 60 hour weeks) -- but I do try to nap on Saturday afternoons - and I just started being able to go for walks again.....

I would adsolutely take the AV's if needed but so far this is working for me so I am sticking with it ... Here is some info on the shots:

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/treatment/it-steroids.htm

3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

valium is a vestibular suppressant but it is not a good idea to take it on a daily basis. Its best used to stop an attack when it starts.
    Its very addictive and eventually you need more and more of it to get the same results with it.

4. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Gardengal wins the Prize. GOH= Gates Of Hell. Which we all have gone/going through.

IMHO=( in my humble opinion) I think you should go for the max of 3 x 1,000 mg of valacyclovir and deal with the GOH.

I know, easy for me to say, since I haven't had vertigo for four months.

I agree with Vicki on the subject of valium.

5. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    Ok - so I will cut down on the Valiums then.... Meclazine does nothing for me.... Every time I felt dizzy I would take one and it did nothing -- so then I tried to take them 3 times a day - again - did nothing to stop the attacks ( except make me sleepy) -- and then finally I felt an attack coming on at work - and took one - then two - then 3 and it didn't touch it and you know the rest - started vomiting at my desk - had to have my son come pick me up - they had to wheel me out of my office in my chair I couldn't walk, talk, see,( that was fun having everyone see me like that - I am sure you all have a story like that -lol ) kept vomiting in the car -- my bf met us at home and they carried me up the stairs and into the bathroom where I pretty much laid for the next 24 hours --- I stayed with the Meclazine for about 6 months with no relief..... so maybe that is why my Dr switched me to the Valium?

6. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    None of my doctors would have advised taking either on a daily basis much less often throughout the day. Valium is much more risk because of the addicting factor. I have a prescription for Lorazapam that I place under my tongue if a full attack hits; it will reduce the attack to 2 hrs or less. But that prescription is for 10 pills only a time because, like valium, it is not a medication that was intended to be taken daily.

I have read that some people find some relief with amitryptiline daily.

Good luck but definitely be very careful with the meds you are taking.

7. Gustav123

Gustav123 Is it great yet?

May 12, 2014
    Benzodiazepines have some serious risks for sure and i believe originally they were meant to be used for only about four to six weeks (daily). They are now often prescribed for much longer use and I think often without explaining the risks. I used xanax as needed for a while until it seemed to not work. My attacks became so frequent that my Oto started suggesting the shunt surgery. After reading about it and thinking that i would avoid destructive methods as much as possible I went with valium daily. He had me on a high dose daily for years and in that time my vertigo and attacks decreased a lot. They were sort of "lost years" because I was so sedated. For me the effect did not diminish much over time but when I tried to taper off I almost had a seizure.I was one of the unlucky ones who developed a severe discontinuation syndrome and I ended up tapering very slowly for many many months and it was not pleasant. That said, im now glad I did not go the destructive route. I would if i needed to , no doubt. I of course have mixed feeling about valium now but it did help me get through a very hard time and then gave me a very hard time of its own. He didnt recommend laby or VNS , perhaps because I already had one dead ear and the the active one retained some usable hearing. BTW i never craved valium but my body became dependent on it making it "needed". All the things benzos are good for become issues when you have a withdrawal syndrome...sleep, anxiety, etc. Discuss your situation and options fully with your doctor and do what fits best for you.