1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Would like a few more opinions

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Santa, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    I have been taking acyclovir-800 mgs 3X's PD along with Lysine 3,000 mgs 3X's per day, lemon bioflavonoids 3,000 3X's PD, and vinpocetine 10 mgs 3X's PD. and pycnogenol.

My debate with myself is

ONLY take the acyclovir
    or
    Keep taking all the above.

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    ;) you know my opinion

3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

LOL and you know mine :p plus after enough time has passed you can always add them back one at a time. The problem with taking so many new things at once is you will never know what's helping you or what may be setting you back or causing any adverse reactions. When it comes to meds more is not better.

4. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    I seem to remember you've been switching around what you been doing. But if you've been sticking with that routine for a while (a week or more) and don't have anything that seems like side effects, I say stick with it until you are convinced it is either working or not. Then if you find it works and don't want to be taking extras, you can start removing them one by one to see what's actually working.

If you are having anything that seems like side effects, then I'd go to just the Acyclovir and give that a good try before adding anything else.

Whatever you do, I hope it works!

5. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    I'd go with just the Acyclovir. The down side to that is that it may take awhile to see positive results.
    IMO,,you're taking too many things at one time to discern which is helping and which isn't doing anything or causing side effects.
    I know this is hard. You want to do anything and everything you can to get this under control. Unfortunately, you're not getting results this way so I think you need to stick to one regimen to see what works.

6. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Good Evening,

I just got back from band practice. Of course I had ear plugs in.

I really appreciate you making your opinions open to me. Thank you.

I am having some struggles in choosing what path to take.

I want you to know - you friends are helping me along this bumpy stretch of path.

Thanks for being here!

7. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Lysine and acyclovir suppress herpes virus replication by different, but complementary biochemistries. There is no good reason to limit one's treatment of Meniere's to any single-factor approach. Attack the disease from every angle. Better odds for success against this difficult, recalcitrant disease.

For example, at the start, physicians don't tell you, "Go on a low-salt diet for several months and see how that works. If it doesn't, forget the salt thing and I'll give you a diuretic for several months. We'll then see how that works, alone." No, most MM patients are put first on a combination low-salt/diuretic treatment. If symptoms are reduced or eliminated by this, who cares which agent, by itself, is more effective. All that's really wanted is relief. Attacking the disease with multiple treatment agents and procedures has the best chance of success.

--John of Ohio

8. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    But Santa seems to be having a reaction or side effects to something. His symptoms got worse when he started trying these things. If he determines it is one or the other, then he can get rid of the one that doesn't agree with his system and proceed with the others. I've also not heard of doctors prescribing multiple antibiotics simultaneously even though they may have different ways of combatting the infection.

9. Bella

Bella Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Talk to your doctor.

10. Vicki

Vicki Guest

The only way Santa will know what's making him feel worse is taking one med at a time for a period of time before adding a new one.

11. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    That's what I was trying to say. For me, it was the only way. I'd start with the antivirals first, even though it does take a while to see results. But definitely one thing at a time since he's experiencing side effects.