1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Xanax

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by dolfan, May 19, 2017.

1. dolfan

dolfan Member

May 20, 2014
    Miami
    Never thought I would be free from this horrible drug. 75% down in just over a month. it is bad shit, take it from me. its been so long that I have been on it, I really don't know how long. I am still in disbelief of how much better I feel. I
    I'm just glad that I kept it at 1grm a day and never more. I increased my protein intake and started an exercise regimen. I'm just glad it happened when it did. It was a stupid move on my part to think it was the proper way to fight MM. I was wrong. Anxiety is worse than MM in my opinion, but I may have burnout, so its hard to say until the next big attack, which hopefully will not happen.

2. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I fully understand. My doctor convinced me it was safe even at high doses. Another "favor" our doctors have done us.

I hope you find full relief soon. Withdrawal is a real bitch.

3. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    A horrible drug to have to wean off of.... I am glad you are getting off of it!!

4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Doctors know nothing about addiction. We cannot rely on them to protect us from these viscious drugs. Thank you for telling this story.

5. Jimmy Alvin

Jimmy Alvin Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Xanax is my only relief when my symptoms get bad. I only take a .5 milligram pill, but it seems to reduce the tinnitus, hearing distortion and headaches significantly. I do not regularly take it--only when things get really bad. I also found an article from the Mayo Clinic that talks about how Xanax can reduce tinnitus in many patients. My drug manager here in Atlanta also says that it reduces symptoms in her Meniere's patients and in some cases it is the only drug that works. It works for me but I know that it can be very addictive. I hope I can continue to manage this properly. I do not use it as a sleeping mechanism, only when things go very badly.

6. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    I too, resort to using 1/2 a Xanax when the anxiety of this condition, gets to be 'too much'! But did get too dependent on it, taking 2 a day (in 1/2 tablet doses--of the 0.25-lowest dose available). My primary told me to take up to 3 whole tablets a day if needed. When I said I didn't want to get addicted--his answer, 'what do you care--if it helps?'! Strange answer, but made sense on some level. At my age, I figure he thought--what if it does become an addiction? I don't think he meant it in a bad way--just to help me deal with this better.
    Still-I didn't like how I felt from the effects of it--aside from the fact it eased the anxiety--it made me feel soooo 'drunk' and I 'don't drink'! at all! So, I decided to wean myself off--and over time did just that.
    Lately, due to the daily dizziness and other health issues--I take 1/2 tablet maybe 2 times a day--and trying not to take more. And 'only' when I feel like I am going to 'scream'! :) So--everyone has to know their own bodies--listen to their doctors--and make an educated decision. If you needed a b/p pill you'd take it--so unless you have a serious drug problem, I don't see it hurting to use this to help deal with this disease--at least on occasion. But do let your doctor know--and be aware of how it affects you. You'll know if it's doing more harm than good.

7. Jimmy Alvin

Jimmy Alvin Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Yanksgirl, my drug manager at the Ridge View clinic told me the same thing, up to three Xanax a day. I told her that I was scared of getting addicted because of what some people here say, but she said when things get bad, use it. It is the only thing that helps when things get real bad and I feel like I am losing my mind. I probably take two or three pills a week. I tried other Opioids that left me drunk and woozy, but Xanax is the best. It works quickly and stops the spinning. roaring, and tinnitus. I was told it would be hard to get addicted to a .5 mil pill once in a while. My roaring is so bad, sometimes I feel like I am going to die....Sorry folks but Xanax has been a Godsend for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    You do what you have to do---using good medical advise along with it! Do hope you feel better soon, Jimmy!

9. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    In case it helps anyone, classical homeopathy has helped me with anxiety. I can feel the relaxation wash over me when I take the remedy. It is also the only thing other than anti-virals that has helped my tinnitus. Classical homeopathy is when you speak with a trained homeopath in detail about your symptoms and preferences, and they pick a remedy for your overall health (rather than for just one symptom). I know a lot of people think homeopathy is malarkey. I don't want to get into a discussion about that here, and don't mention it much here for that reason. I just want to say that in my experience classical homeopathy has been very helpful for anxiety and provided some help with tinnitus. It is not addictive and has no side effects.

10. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    So happy that you have had such good success with your homeopathic treatments. Many here have also.
    I tried acupuncture--specially made herbal meds and have tried anti-depressants (cannot take any of them due to side effects) and a therapist--who helped me the most and gave me the 'tools' to deal with this, so I no longer see her.
    I've tried, with my doctor's advise, a couple of herbal type meds, but get symptoms that seem to make the MM worse and me feel more anxious. So--guess I'm one of 'those' who just don't respond to these methods.
    But--I know some who have and some here in the MM forum. So, I'd say 'try whatever is safe' and if it works--that's great!

11. Jimmy Alvin

Jimmy Alvin Member

Feb 24, 2017
    I tried Melatonin (sp?) as a sleep aid for a week and my roaring and balance issues got much worse. I had to stop using this.

12. sjw111

sjw111 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    I take 1mg dissolvable....just melt in my mouth and it absorbs there. Got to be fast before the spins make you barf. If I can lie down and get still and take the X. Then remember that the room is not spinning....its my jerky eyes....I do that by placing my fingertips on my closed eye lids and feel them moving. Once the X takes hold they begin to slow to a light twitch. Then stop. This process significantly shortens the time and magnitude of the attack. Now i will admit I have had the MONSTER 12 hour attacks that come from hell and all you can do is barf and sweat and wait it out. Even then I kept taking them since I knew I was losing some of the dosage via being sick. Tough stuff guys. But remember if that keeps happening....and you have tried everything....you can fix it in an hour surgery. Labys work. Cause you can't have a spin without vestibular misinformation to the brain. No inner ear....no information. Ahhh. Don't put your life on hold forever if you are one of those where nothing works and life is feeling worthless. There is a fix. I am evidence of that. your other ear and brain compensates. A week later I was off and running. Ahhh again.

13. sjw111

sjw111 Member

Nov 3, 2016
    Forgot to say i take Xanax for a cold. Ha ha ha. Not joking. Works.

14. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Does anyone know if it'd be ok to take half a xanax in morning and half in evening for the rest of one's life? That's 0.25mg per day. Can you see anything very negative about it vs. the negatives dizziness/depression cause already...and xanax helps with?

15. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    That would be a terrible idea. You would build up a tolerance to it quickly and then you're stuck with an addiction. Go to benzo buddies forum before you decide to do something like that. They'll set you straight.

16. Melc

Melc Member

Nov 6, 2016
    Canada
    Don’t do it. Chronic use messes with your brain. Don’t do it.

17. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    My mom was prescribed Xanax in 1997 for panic attacks. She's still on it. 20 years for a drug you aren't supposed to take for longer than 3 weeks. She wants to quit, but she has to take 1mg to go to sleep at night. For some it serves it's purpose, but for others it's just a terrible addiction they never wanted.

18. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    My wife who practices medicine at Emory University says many people are going to the natural ingredient of Melatonin (5mg) as a way to combat sleep and anxiety disorders.

19. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Melatonin works too well for me. Especially bad is the next day. It completely ruins me. Xanax, Valium, Vicodin...no problem. But give me a melatonin pill and I'll be locked on the couch all day feeling like I'm covered in cement.

20. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    Interesting you say that, Pup. My wife switched to melatonin to try and get away from smoking pot at night but she said the same thing. She slept well, but she felt like she was at a rave the night before.