1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Yet Another New Diagnosis & Questions

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Star, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Star

Star New Member

Jun 9, 2021
    Hi there. Thanks for reading. Today I got my second click test...you know what I mean right? I have hydrops in both ears now. Two years ago after a minor surgical procedure I developed severe vertigo and could barely walk. I would crawl to the bathroom and was constantly nauseous. I got vestibular testing at that time and was diagnosed with atypical meiners. There was a lot of confusion if that was even a real diagnosis. My neurologist was skeptical. He thought, vestibular migraine because I have a history of migraines. I have some very minor hearing loss in one ear, at that time. I did the low sugar/low salt diet and had no more episodes of vertigo. Prior to that I had 2 different episodes of vertigo that lasted a few hours. Over I time I figured, yeah, I don't have meiners and stopped the diet and was fine. One month ago shortly after getting botox that I get every 3 months for headaches do to tmj issues, I bit into a stinking a carrot. Immediately that triggered nerve pain shooting from my ear to cheek. Anytime I ate or brush my teeth it triggered. Then it settled into a constant migraine. Out of desperation I drank a glass of wine to try to kill the pain. That triggered an episode of severe vertigo with vomiting that lasted for hours. Since then I've had ear pain/ fullness and a constant low level dizzines punctuated with periods of more intense dizziness. The brain fog that goes along is terrible. So I'm seeing a new ENT who made me do the test before he would even schedule with me, and I got the results today. So I'm thinking I may not have confirmed menieres but I do have hydrops and I hope it's ok that i"m here. I realize I need to be serious about it no matter what it is because it's really effing up my life.

To make things more complicated my I'm still waiting to get back into oral/maxofacial clinic and get new imaging on my jaw. And am still on a soft food diet. I've lost 10 lbs this month due not being able to eat without increasing the pain. How do I figure this out? I'm a mess. I'm sorry, I'm so foggy today and feeling so dizzy my spelling is atrocious.

2. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Interesting what you say about your TMJ....I, too, have TMJ, which, I believe, affects the Meniere's symptoms as well. I don't know if this is a good idea, but I have been taking a tylenol every night to help with the jaw and accompanying head/face pain...but seems to also have a possitive affect on my vertigo. I have questioned the correspondence with TMJ and Meniere's, always being told there is no connection. However, I have researched this question, finding there IS a connection. I am also experience vision problems, although my ophthalmologist says nothing is wrong. I hope you get some answers during your oral/maxofacial visit. It's such a process...so many ways to turn yet nothing conclusive.

3. Star

Star New Member

Jun 9, 2021
    Hi SurferGirl,

There is so much we don't know about these conditions yet many doctors go full arrogant mode and dismiss possibilities. I think there is a connection. The areas are so close together and I think the inflammation spreads. The spasmed muscles constrict nerves and blood vessels. I doubt the oral surgeon will be much help but it's worth trying. Thanks for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    It would be interesting to see how many on this site also experience TMJ symptoms. I have seen several mention having TMJ . I agree with you completely!! When I called a referred oral surgeon for appointment, I was asked if the TMJ was medical or dental, . How the heck do I know!!! I'm saying Medical since I have paid out $8000 worth of appliances to correct the TMJ in the past 2 years...to no avail. I do know, when I have a bad vertigo day, I also have more jaw and headache pain and vise versa. Good luck!!!

5. MikeinJPN

MikeinJPN New Member

Jul 25, 2021
    I definitely have TMJ symptoms. Jaw popping and what not. It was worse when I was younger. I have been living in Japan and was diagnosed with Ménière’s but I’m questioning that. Honestly I think it could be MAV….but what do I know?? Japan is not a culture to question doctors and they really don’t like when I bring up other possible diagnosis. Anyway…. I was thinking maybe my jaw has been causing migraine symptoms that eventually caused major vertigo symptoms???

6. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Hello Star! How are you feeling? Did you get the results for your jaw? I understand and also know the frustration. I just went through another serious vertigo attack....8 days...feeling better, then boom...another episode yesterday. Today I feel almost normal. There is no pattern. I know storms, barametric pressure really affects these attacks, but nothing was going on yesterday. Oh if we could only find answers and consensus from all our doctors. Do any of them confirm with each other??? Keep us posted.