1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Your left hand, or Meniere's

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Pupper, Jul 22, 2017.

Would you have your left hand chopped off if this cured your Meniere's?

1. I would gladly donate my left hand to science in exchange for this miracle cure.

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No, I love my hands.

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Note: For those whose Meniere's has been cured or subsided to tolerable levels, please answer as you think you would have when you're MM was at its worst. (Also, obviously, Lefties should take it to mean their right hand.)

2. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I would have cut off my whole right arm to stop the suffering, but i had it pretty bad and for a very long time. I'm glad i didn't have to.

3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I was in danger of soon becoming completely deaf and had terrible distortion of my own voice as well as terrible tinnitis all 24/7. Even without the vertigo which was looming in the distance, i would have considered the bargain. Now of course, itis entirely different.

4. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    At the height of my MM, I would have. To be precise, probably after my 4th long, violent, spinning attack.

The decision would have been irrational though. I didn't know at the time that there were medical procedures to greatly ease MM.

It's a tough question. What kind of nincompoop would ask such a thing.

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Unfortunately, it seems most patients are not told early on that if conservative treatment fails, there are operations that can stop the vertigo, impants that can restore some kind of hearing etc, assuming of course it is menieres and only menieres that is causing the problem. I think most patients would try a vns or laby to stop the vertigo before chopping their arm off.

6. Rusty

Rusty New Member

May 15, 2014
    Milwaukee
    I'd say that was only true of about two episodes.

7. Rusty

Rusty New Member

May 15, 2014
    Milwaukee
    On further thought, I think the same logic would have prevailed that I used to decline a laby- What if I go bilateral?