Big Words - Make You Sound Smart?

Discussion in 'Your Writer's Den' started by Aladdin, May 3, 2010.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. dizzysheba01

dizzysheba01 New Member

I never engage in sesquipedalianism when smaller words will do because I can never remember how to spell those blasted words. .

2. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

sesquipedalianism - using long words

Burd said:
    Oh dear now I got them too.
    It's a small world after all...
    It's a small world...remunerate...remunerate...
    I'm in trouble if this is how my day is starting.
    Throw in sleep deprivation and things are certain to go wonky.

wonky - a character in the book 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' by Roald Dahl.

3. Seadog

Seadog Ambidextrous dumb-ass with out coffee

No its not...Is
    it?

She really does. And they are not pretty either.
    Amongst many other abnormalities.

Like:
    callous, cantankerous, churlish, contemptible, ignoble, knavish, liverish, malicious, malign, perfidious, scurrilous,snide, and vexatious just to name a few.

4. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Like Pardonme, I also engage in unsophisticated wordplay, combining portions of 2 or even 3 similar words; or even unrelated words, to make an even more powerful impression. It's an efficient form of communication. I'm sure you all do it.

"fantabulous" is one example.

5. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Aladdin wants definitions, SeaDog.

callous = SeaDog
    cantankerous = SeaDog
    churlish = SeaDog
    contemptible = SeaDog
    ignoble = SeaDog
    knavish = SeaDog
    liverish = SeaDog
    malicious = SeaDog
    malign
    perfidious = SeaDog
    scurrilous = SeaDog
    snide = SeaDog
    vexatious = SeaDog

[There are a few here that do not apply to you. Like contemptible and malicious?? I don't think so.]

6. Seadog

Monkey see monkey do. Hey you are in the fishing story

Hill Jack - rube, boob*, brute, buffoon, cad, churl, dork, goon, lout, oaf, peasant, philistine, vulgarian

7. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Now that's more like it. All of those apply to you.

Yes, I realize I'm in the fishing story. Didn't quite know how to respond, so uh ... decided not to. :) you philistine! :)

8. June-

June- New Member

When I was in 5th grade the teacher told me my spelling was a trocious. At least that's what I thought she said.

9. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

I've found with this inner ear things - that people say words I never thought they were capable of. Once I thought I heard my pastor from the puplit say 'fricking', and 'whore' I was shocked and looked around to see if others heard it to and then I realized he propably hadn't said such a naughty word as others were nodding heads and giving amens.

oh, i had a cool word but do not remember it

10. Seadog

Happens to me all the time Al.

11. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Me, too. I have always said that what I hear is funnier than what people actually say.

12. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

i keep myself most entertained this way :0

13. pardonme

pardonme Guest

14. burd

burd New Member

This week's obsessive word...
    Makita
    Makita
    Makita
    (for those unfamiliar, it's a brand name of power tools)

Say it often enough and you will soon place emphasis on different syllables and will end up saying it sounding like some sort of South American pissed off native as if it is a foreign word.

15. Prima Donna

Prima Donna New Member

Black and Decker; Black and Decker; Black and Decker, Black and Decker
    Ma'kita, Ma'kita, Ma'kita, Ma'kita.
    Maki'ta, Maki'ta, Maki'ta, Maki'ta.
    Makita', Makita', Makita', Makita'.

Thanks a lot, Terry! grrr!

16. pardonme

pardonme Guest

17. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

18. burd

burd New Member

:D :D

Mah-Kee-Tah
    Yep, it's still with me.
    It kind of slides on out real smooth, like a warning or a threat.

Husqvarna
    That sounds like an angry verbal bite or insult.

Black and Decker
    That sounds like the name of a duo you'd see at the county fair, a couple of guys known for juggling chainsaws. 

You're welcome Prima Donna.  ;) :D

19. HeadNoise

HeadNoise Invisible Me

I like to learn new words. I was a foreign language major in college. Language always fascinated me, and how English has so many origins... the different colloquialisms (sp?) and slang that is used in different areas of the country and sub-cultures in America are intriguing to me.
    Unfortunately, since I can't hear anymore, I have trouble with new words - how are they pronounced??? I get very self-conscious trying to talk about things that everybody else does because I don't know how to pronounce Prius, Bieber, Aeropostale, the guy on Idol..

My mother used to to "It Pays to Increase Your Word Power" quiz in the Reader's Digest. She had never gone to college but she could get every one of those words right in the quiz. It always amazed me, so I set about doing the same. In my previous life, before MM, I could do it. But now there are so many new words that I often don't have a clue. I like it that English is an evolving language and people can combine words to make new ideas. Unlike the French, who would string 6 words together rather than adopting one from English...

The word for today is "bursary."

20. Aladdin

Aladdin Guest

bursary

burped while saying the rosary ?