Casual Conversation

Discussion in 'Your Front Porch' started by Intrepid, Nov 7, 2011.

ATTN: Our forums have moved here! You can still read these forums but if you'd like to participate, mosey on over to the new location.

1. Gustav123

Gustav123 Life,enjoy it.

I think mine too.

2. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Mine leveled out in the end.

3. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Saw Zero Dark Thirty. Intense.

4. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

Promised Land. What a great movie.

5. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/postal-worker-retires-44-years-without-sick-day-204326090--abc-news-savings-and-investment.html

44 years without ever taking a sick day. What a lovely thing. It's heartwarming to read that there are people in this world who feel well every day.

6. Gustav123

Gustav123 Life,enjoy it.

Ha ha. Nice.
    On the other hand maybe she came in ill many times and infected co-workers leading to a spread of viruses, causing more sick days in her dept.
    =)

7. June-

June- New Member

I doubt she felt well every day. Many people just do not consider feeling well a prerequisite for showing up for work. I just came back from lowe's. the older lady who waited on me at the register had a cough. We talked a minute or two. She is waiting for a lung transplant. She had a cold but has already taken off a couple days and cant afford more time off. Other people may have a choice to take days off but were brought up to show up.

8. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

It depends on what you mean by "feeling well." I can work with colds, coughs, allergies, headaches, knee pain, ear aches, etc. Maybe she could too.

What she didn't have was MM, MAV, cancer, heart disease, diabetes that caused complications, fainting spells, need for dialysis because of bad kidneys, the yearly flu, etc. THAT is awesome and I am so glad that there are people who go through life with good health like this lady and her father.

I don't think there is any need for a b**ch reply to this post ;D It's OK to be happy for someone who has the luck and the genes to not have any major (or minor) health issue. Jeebus.

9. June-

June- New Member

I was just thinking about that lady i met this morning with the impending lung transplant and a lot of other people who go to work sick or well. I wanted to give them a shout out too. Maybe it is a farmer thing. I worked with a woman with crohnes, cancer and much much more who showed up day in and dayout.

I'm happy for the perfect attendance woman and her good health too. Not intending to bitch.

10. Gustav123

Gustav123 Life,enjoy it.

Yes, Im am HAPPY HAPPY for healthy people!

11. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

My husband taught a kid in high school who went from kindergarten all the way to graduation of Grade 12 without missing one day of school. he was given a special certificate when he graduated. Yes he went to school sick toward the end of his school years so he could get through without missing a day.

On another note:

I love the song by Florence and the Machine called The Dog Days are Over . I have it on my running play list but have no clue what the lyrics mean. They are just a big old word salad to me. Anybody have an idea?

12. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

The best things are those that aren't fully understood :D

13. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

True, unless they drive you batshit crazy trying to figure it out! ;D

14. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

Like the lyrics to I am the Walrus? I've been trying to figure those out for years and finally gave up. I feel better now. ;D

15. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

you know about the lewis carolle poem no doubt: the walrus & the carpenter? may hep, let usknow

16. shartsoe

shartsoe New Member

It doesn't. But, it's an interesting poem nonetheless.

Poem:
    http://www.jabberwocky.com/carroll/walrus.html

I am the Walrus lyrics:
    http://www.lyricsfreak.com/b/beatles/i+am+the+walrus_10026521.html

I can't find a connection, can you?

17. FadedRose

FadedRose New Member

Shannon,

I don't know if this is true or not but I read somewhere a long time ago , I think in Playboy (!) that Lennon deliberately wrote those lyrics as a word salad. He allegedly hated school and especially hated when the teachers made them interpret lyrics/poems so he did this as a protest/prank. I think I remember him quoted as saying saying "let the F***ckers figure it out!"

It may or not be true but it makes more sense than the lyrics do.

18. abigail48

abigail48 New Member

one, the walrus or the carpenter was at least in the illustration, seen weeping over what they had done

19. Intrepid

Intrepid New Member

The Aussie movie Mental is funny and poignant and just a little bit weird. I liked it.

20. hollymm

hollymm Me, 'in' a tree.

I think the best things in life are things you finally understand ;)